Wiki Posts
Search

DL Flight Issue and KLM Meal change

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2017, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
DL Flight Issue and KLM Meal change

Flew DL5723 on the 4th from SAT-LAX. I was the only person in F. Paid actually, not upgraded. At gate the GA, all excitedly tells me I'm the only passenger in F. I board and find out they've filled the cabin with passengers from the back. They actually had to kick one back, they had filled all 12 seats with coach passengers. How they decided I don't know. FC FA quickly does beverage and snack basket pass, then goes and sits down. Finally an hour into flight i ask when breakfast will be served. (Had to ring the button as FA closed curtain and I think went to sleep) FA comes over and in a slightly PO tone tells me the oven is broken. Fine, i say I'll be happy with the cold option. FA then tells me (paid F passenger) that they don't have enough to give to everyone, so no service. I point out I'm technically the only one in FC. (Seat map confirms this) FA refuses to give me the cold option. Then 30 mins later the second FA comes up (can tell to let pilot out). They don't make just the front restroom off limits, but the Y FA also locks the back lav. They tgen get upset when passengers get up tp use lav at back. To Top off the great treatment, the FC FA then gives the pilots two of the FC cold option meals. I hope one of out DL employees can help get this incident looked at. I called the DM line, they shrugged, said here's a $100 ETV, and basically said oh well.

Now on a positive note. I was connecting in LAX to KLM to AMS and onward to JNB. Like this routing because KLM flight to JNB unlike all other carriers in Europe departs in the morning, arriving around 9pm in JNB. Means only about 1-2 hour connection in Europe, instead of 12+ for all OALs. On the JNB flights they're testing a new meal system. There's still a set three choice meal at begining of flight. However after that the rest of the flight is al a carte, dine on demand. Choose from multiple options. Club sandwich with crabmeat, hamburger, Italian Salad, Asian/Indian entree, fruits, apple pie, and a few other options. Order when/what you want, and of course if really hungry can eat more then one second meal. FA said its limitied tp JNB flights right now, but will expand. Also said all FA are supposed to work a JNB rotation to learn the new service.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 4:34 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
So, even tho they did, indeed hava cold breakfast available, they just let it go to waste because it didn't seem fair to give you one when nobody else got one - - - PARTICUALRLY when they KNEW that they just moved 11 people up front unplanned?!?!?

They should have just apologized to the 11, and given one to you!

Last edited by davetravels; Jul 5, 2017 at 4:48 pm
Old Jul 5, 2017, 4:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Wow which connection carrier was this? Compass?
Old Jul 5, 2017, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Wow which connection carrier was this? Compass?
Correct.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 5:07 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
What do you mean "they've filled the cabin with passengers from the back"? Did the crew move folks up on-board for weight and balance issues? Or did a bunch of nonrevs clear into the F cabin at boarding?
Old Jul 5, 2017, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by woodford02A
What do you mean "they've filled the cabin with passengers from the back"? Did the crew move folks up on-board for weight and balance issues? Or did a bunch of nonrevs clear into the F cabin at boarding?
No WB issues. Simply moved some people up. No nonrev on flight. The seatmap shows I was the only passenger in F. Nonrev would have a seat assigned and would've been listed as standby till cleared. When GA came onboard to handoff paperwork to captain you could see the shock in her expressions.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL, UA
Regional FAs are notorious for moving up people so they can have the last row or two free (and hence have extra space next to them on the jumpseat). It annoys a lot of gate agents though because they often ask the agents to move people around so they can have the last row or two free. When agents don't (or won't) do it, they just do it themselves. This sounds like a particularly bad case of it though.

There was only one passenger booked in F on that flight and there were no NRSA or other official upgrades. Everybody who got moved up was moved off the books.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 5:29 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
Yeah you need to send DL a note on this one.

http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/delta-airlines/
Old Jul 5, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
It's nice that you got $100 voucher, OP, but I agree that written follow up to Delta mgt may be valuable. There are at least two Compass FAs who are customer-facing and for all useful purposes representing the Delta brand. They just blew through various rules, even if they are just service rules.
What safety or procedural rules might they be lax with given their service standards?
Old Jul 7, 2017, 7:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
PLEASE report this to DL. What happened violated the rules and was inexcusable. If there were nonrevs, it would have been OK to move them up to FC on board, but even then, a nonrev should never take a meal from a revenue passenger. It's also not appropriate to deny a customer a meal to which he/she is entitled and then serve the meal to a pilot.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Update - got a call back today from DL about my issue on DL5723. Apparently the FA has had similar reports in past, and they needed a statement. Apparently they terminated her, and she's sued in response. Thus they needed to get sworn statements from customers about what happened on each flight to support their case.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:19 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Update - got a call back today from DL about my issue on DL5723. Apparently the FA has had similar reports in past, and they needed a statement. Apparently they terminated her, and she's sued in response. Thus they needed to get sworn statements from customers about what happened on each flight to support their case.
I'm surprised they were willing to give you that much info; normally, HR matters are totally confidential and aren't shared with customers who complained (there have been a few F/As over the years where I'd love to know what happened after I filed a complaint...).
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Cory6188
I'm surprised they were willing to give you that much info; normally, HR matters are totally confidential and aren't shared with customers who complained (there have been a few F/As over the years where I'd love to know what happened after I filed a complaint...).
Normally wouldn't have even heard back. However since the FA is suing (wouldn't say based on what grounds) they needed sworn statements. Thus DL was forced to reveal FA was fired.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:35 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Sometimes it amazes me the thingz people sue for.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:49 pm

As I tell clients - anybody can sue for any reason, but winning is another story

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.