Wiki Posts
Search

DL to start IND-CDG

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2017, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
http://www.insideindianabusiness.com...a-paris-flight

The new flights are expected to begin May 24, and run at least three times per week. During peak summer season, officials say the route will go back-and-forth daily.

Maybe this source has a better handle on the terms of the IEDC incentives.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
Originally Posted by drvannostren
Seems a bit random too imo, is there a big french connection with IND? I could've "believed" LHR a bit more, or maybe even LHR or AMS for onward purposes.

I was thinking exactly the same thing with the incentives.
I think most folks around here were expecting an LHR or MAN flight. Rolls-Royce is big here in Indy, with their headquarters in Derby. The RR engines made in Indy aren't destined for Toulouse.
I bet CDG was a second choice, but I won't complain.
Actually yes...yes I will complain.
Connect in CDG or ATL? I'll take ATL.

Unless this flight is a premonition of another large business decision with Lilly, Rolls, or....Formula 1??
Old Sep 6, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, UA Premier Platinum, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by airmotive
I think most folks around here were expecting an LHR or MAN flight. Rolls-Royce is big here in Indy, with their headquarters in Derby. The RR engines made in Indy aren't destined for Toulouse.
I bet CDG was a second choice, but I won't complain.
Actually yes...yes I will complain.
Connect in CDG or ATL? I'll take ATL.

Unless this flight is a premonition of another large business decision with Lilly, Rolls, or....Formula 1??
Many Big shots from Lilly were at the announcement, if that is an indication of anything. I don't know of any of the other exact companies/groups that were in attendance.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Great addition. I am hearing this will be daily for at least the summer, but there has been no official word on what will happen in the winter (I suspect 4x-5x weekly). Someone else said that the IND-Europe market is about 310 PDEW, meaning DL needs to capture about half of that to average a load factor around 75% for a 763. That PDEW number will definitely increase with the launch of the nonstop, so I am guessing DL will eventually want ~40% of whatever the new IND-Europe market is. They could also get a few passengers heading to Africa. I don't think the IND-Africa market is large, but NBO, CAI, ABJ, and a few other destinations have good connecting times.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by airmotive
I think most folks around here were expecting an LHR or MAN flight.
People were expecting IND-MAN?!
Old Sep 6, 2017, 5:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DA201
Great addition. I am hearing this will be daily for at least the summer, but there has been no official word on what will happen in the winter (I suspect 4x-5x weekly). Someone else said that the IND-Europe market is about 310 PDEW, meaning DL needs to capture about half of that to average a load factor around 75% for a 763. That PDEW number will definitely increase with the launch of the nonstop, so I am guessing DL will eventually want ~40% of whatever the new IND-Europe market is.
Also worth noting that WOW has added DTW, CVG and even STL. No one from Eli Lilly is gonna fly WOW if they were to somehow decide in 3X weekly summer service to IND, but Delta and the other Legacies need to be responding to the sorts of incursions Norwegian and WOW are doing. We cheap folk in the back of the DL flights may be small margin, but we do help cover the trip costs so the pointy end is profitable.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 5:45 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Any idea what happens to CVG-CDG?

Is this the next step in reducing flights into CVG?

Originally Posted by woodford02A
Starts spring 2018. Just announced via the IND Airport's Facebook live feed and Twitter: https://twitter.com/INDairport/statu...92909784535040

Full detail here: http://news.delta.com/delta-launch-n...nning-may-2018

http://www.insideindianabusiness.com...a-paris-flight
Old Sep 6, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by JCWCVG
Is this the next step in reducing flights into CVG?
Doubtful. The CVG-CDG flight runs year-round, even on Saturdays. It stands on its own, and probably doesn't see much traffic from IND.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by ekozie
With the 757 unable to handle the range, I would suspect that IND is paying for the necessary upgauge with a frequency reduction.

Anyone with a pulse on the market - is the lack of frequency going to deter business flyers?
Unfortunately not, the 757 who cannot have enough range to reaching into Europe. The 767-300ER aircraft is a right choice. They do have more range and more capabilities.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 7:00 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Good for my home town but unlikely I will be flying it as I am typically on a OW airline. My only hope is that there might be some better pricing to the EU on other carriers.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
People on this board really seem ready to make connections between two companies / offices, as if they themselves could drive demand for an entire 767 operating multiple times a week to an airport with nothing else to offer

It was going to be CDG or AMS, that's where SkyTeam can connect passengers. I'm sure the 10 people per week that want to go IND-MAN would appreciate otherwise, but CDG is what gets pax to all of Europe from IND, which is barely a big enough market as a whole to justify this flight.

I'm sure they'll have no problem selling some J seats, but it will remain to be seen how many people will choose to connect in CDG instead of hopping over to ATL or elsewhere.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787
767 is the surprising bit to me. Especially with the 757 being freed up when PHL - LHR ends.
The flight is to far for a 757 to operate on a reliable basis. Great circle route is over 3600 miles. With normal flight planning restrictions your looking at 3800 miles. The route is longer than RDU-CDG which did not work out with the 757.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Jeff767
The flight is to far for a 757 to operate on a reliable basis. Great circle route is over 3600 miles. With normal flight planning restrictions your looking at 3800 miles. The route is longer than RDU-CDG which did not work out with the 757.
Point taken on 757 for IND, though RDU - CDG did work they just upgauged for the summer and unless something changed they are going back to the 757 at the end of the S17 schedule
Old Sep 6, 2017, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
paging GRALISTAIR ...
Old Sep 6, 2017, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
I know the airport wanted London but I think Delta was the only one they could get to play...and therefore I am not surprised it is CDG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.