Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting in SLC?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2016, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Connecting in SLC?

Will be connecting in SLC next week for the first time as the bulk of my 1-stop travel has always put me through MSP/DTW/ATL.

Not worried with the 90 minute layover. Any bar/restaurant recs? Feedback i've read on the skyclub is pretty dismal.

Thx.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Haven't been there through there this year, but from my recollection and looking at the SLC airport dining&shopping there isn't anything exciting... mostly food court or fast casual type places.

Theres a squatters airport pub in C for a bar with a decent beer selection. If you're looking for good food, I don't think SLC has very much unfortunately.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 6:44 am

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by injera
Will be connecting in SLC next week for the first time as the bulk of my 1-stop travel has always put me through MSP/DTW/ATL.

Not worried with the 90 minute layover. Any bar/restaurant recs? Feedback i've read on the skyclub is pretty dismal.

Thx.
Squatters is quite good. I believe it's near C gates.

Skyclub is old, small, and can get crowded from time to time. No views of the tarmac either. Still beats sitting at the gates though since the gate areas can get very crowded.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully the 730pm-9pm hour wont be too chaotic.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:05 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by injera

Thx.
I was there for the first time over the weekend. Seemed like a pretty tired, old school airport. Nothing that screamed "Stop here." I was only on C concourse.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:11 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
SkyClub could be better, as there are no windows in the club. Hopefully that changes when the terminal rebuild is complete.

There is a Cat Cora's kitchen in the lower level of B and an Il Viaggio in D (in addition to Sqautters in C) if you want a sit down. The food at Cora's is good buy pricey.

Vino Volo Pub House (between D and E) is also available. I haven't tried that.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
SLC has to be DL's worst hub. Options are somewhat sparse, the SC sucks, and the gate areas often become packed.

You should be fine, but I only connect through there as a last resort.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:28 am

Programs: DL & VS
If you want a quicker bite, go to Cafe Rio in the back corner of the food court b/w terminals C&D. Some of the best chain mexican food you'll find anywhere.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The Il Viaggio isn't a normal full service sitdown like you'd think... its a 'millennialized' quick serve version of it.

Yeah SLC is a good airport for making connections as it is very easy to get around, but not if you have a longer wait between flights. SC can be crowded but is still way better than many of the gate areas, especially at the far ends of C and D where it is like a zoo with multiple gates in a small area and nowhere enough seating or even standing space during boarding.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by carljanderson
SkyClub could be better, as there are no windows in the club.

There is a Cat Cora's kitchen in the lower level of B and an Il Viaggio in D (in addition to Sqautters in C) if you want a sit down. The food at Cora's is good buy pricey.

Vino Volo Pub House (between D and E) is also available. I haven't tried that.
it is not bad IMHO

Originally Posted by rylan
Yeah SLC is a good airport for making connections as it is very easy to get around, but not if you have a longer wait between flights. SC can be crowded but is still way better than many of the gate areas, especially at the far ends of C and D where it is like a zoo with multiple gates in a small area and nowhere enough seating or even standing space during boarding.
+1 I agree
Old Sep 22, 2016, 8:27 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rylan
The Il Viaggio isn't a normal full service sitdown like you'd think... its a 'millennialized' quick serve version of it.
if you don't like the quick serve version of it, just sit outside along the wall. There have been times I waited and waited... I actually got up and left once.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 8:38 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I don't understand all of this SLC and SLC SC bashing. It's a VERY efficient airport, for its purpose.

SkyClubs that have been discofied are bashed here regularly. Well, the SLC SC is still in old world decor, with real wood furniture (I believe)! Yes, it can be a little hard to find a seat, at times, especially near an AC outlet, but, I have done 35 minute connections at SLC, and STILL had time to run to the SkyClub for a coffee and a quick snack! What other hub airports can you say THAT about?

Also, the SLC SC agents have done WONDERS for me a couple of times with IROPS. The SLC/CDG flight, IMO, is the BEST TATL flight in the system, from the flight itself, to the FAs who are based there that fly it!

That's my 2 SkyPesos worth!

Last edited by davetravels; Sep 22, 2016 at 9:17 am
Old Sep 22, 2016, 8:51 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by davetravels
I don't understand all of this SLC and SLC SC bashing. It's a VERY efficient airport, for its purpose.

SkyClubs that have been discofied are bashed here regularly. Well, the SLC SC is still in old world decor, with real wood furniture (I believe)! Yes, it can be a little hard to find a seat, at times, especially near an AC outlet, but, I have done 35 minute connections at SLC, and STILL had time to run to the SkyCLub for a coffee and a quick snack! What other hub airports can you say THAT about?

Also, the SLC SC agents have done WONDERS for me a couple of times with IROPS. The SLC/CDG flight, IMO, is the BEST TATL flight in the system, from the flight itself, to the FAs who are based there that fly it!

No problem with 35 minute connection? Next month, going PEK-SEA-SLC I am now down to 38 minutes for my flight to OKC. I don't want another routing so I can keep the schedule and aircraft yet running from one gate to another is not appealing toward the end of an international itinerary.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 8:57 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Xeno
No problem with 35 minute connection? Next month, going PEK-SEA-SLC I am now down to 38 minutes for my flight to OKC. I don't want another routing so I can keep the schedule and aircraft yet running from one gate to another is not appealing toward the end of an international itinerary.
I was, of course, referring to a domestic --> domestic connection of 35 minutes.

I don't think a 38 minute int'l --> domestic connection will work, unless your PEK/SEA is early. I just checked, and the PEK/SEA arrives at terminal S, and the domestic flights leave from something like B/C/D. I hope you hava later alternative to OKC in mind as a backup.

I seem to remember having to walk outside the building to get from "S" to the domestic flights, but there may be another way.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by davetravels

SkyClubs that have been discofied are bashed here regularly. Well, the SLC SC is still in old world decor, with real wood furniture (I believe)! Yes, it can be a little hard to find a seat, at times, especially near an AC outlet, but, I have done 35 minute connections at SLC, and STILL had time to run to the SkyCLub for a coffee and a quick snack! What other hub airports can you say THAT about?

^^^^^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.