Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much to upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2017, 4:24 am
Original Poster

How much to upgrade?

I have a YCA government fare for CDG to IAD via ATL. I am not a frequent flyer, at least not with a single airline, since I usually fly USG city pair fares. I want to upgrade on this trip and currently have just under 25K miles. In reading the SkyMiles rules, it seems they won't offer me an upgrade opportunity unless I have the requisite miles - is it worth buying miles? I can't find an award sheet anywhere. I read other threads on this and am hoping since that discussion someone has found the darned chart.

I tried purchasing an upgrade but could buy a BIZ ticket on another airline for that price.

Why are these people so opaque?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mileage Upgrade Awards can only be processed by an agent (you won't see any offers online whether you have the needed miles or not). I suspect you are confusing Mileage Upgrade Awards with Upgrade With Miles. Upgrade with Miles is only good for flights within the US (also there is no fixed rate for those since you are just paying for the cash upgrade offer at the rate of 1 mile per penny). Since you have to call anyway, just call and ask how much it will be and whether or not there is inventory available for your flights. Note that the DL website says that only "published" fares are eligible. There's a thread from some years ago about being able to upgrade YCA fares, and it seems that people were able to do it, but the fares were not treated as full-Y fares and thus required higher mileage amounts to upgrade.

Last edited by xliioper; Jul 17, 2017 at 5:30 am
Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Also - Make certain that in upgrading, that you do not convert your YCA fare into an inflexible ticket.

YCA tickets are fully flexible and your agency has purchased a YCA rather than a less flexible government fare bucket for a reason (which could simply be that YCA is the only ticket available).

While DL could care less about this and you might not, your agency might care a great deal if there is a reason for flexibility and a cancellation or change becomes necessary and either can't be done or costs a small fortune.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Government HCA fares are flexible too. The main difference is that YCA is last seat availability.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Thanks - this worked out well. I called and the Delta rep was kind enough to point me to another flight the next day that had miles upgrade potential. I changed that at no cost since it was still the same city pair and then used my miles (with 6K top-up) to upgrade.

Admire all the hard-core points folks here, I wish I was organized enough to do this better but in the interim - I will take the generous advice from those who are.

Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.