Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Air France Paid Upgrade Skymiles Earnings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2018, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Hi I originally had a premium economy ticket from CDG to JFK, however at check-in I was offered a paid upgrade to Biz for $400, which I bought. I just checked my account and saw that I was only credited a 50% MQM bonus and skymiles instead of 100% given for J fares as well as no MQD credit for the $400 paid in upgrades.

Spoke with a rep who said I dont qualify for 100% because it was a paid upgrade and my original ticket was booked in premium economy.

Does anyone here know whether this is correct?

thanks!
Old Jan 3, 2018, 7:18 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Day of departure upgrades generally don't get class of service bonus.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 7:19 am
pvn
Suspended

Discounted J fares only earn a 50% bonus anyway so you wouldn't have gotten any more anyway.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 7:30 am
Original Poster

thanks for the quick response. that makes sense, still think it was a pretty decent deal though.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:13 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
"Discount" J?

Originally Posted by pvn
Discounted J fares only earn a 50% bonus anyway so you wouldn't have gotten any more anyway.
Similar scenario as OP - had a Premium Economy longhaul on AF, was able to purchase an upgrade to Business at the airport, day of departure, for a very good price, new boarding pass shows fare class as "J".

I look on Delta's partner earnings chart for AF, and I see two types of Business Class for AF: "Business - J" and "Business - C,D,I,Z", with J having a higher MQM earning percentage (200) than C,D,I,Z (150). Couldn't see any reference to a "discount J", but I could be wrong?
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:34 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by skye1
Similar scenario as OP - had a Premium Economy longhaul on AF, was able to purchase an upgrade to Business at the airport, day of departure, for a very good price, new boarding pass shows fare class as "J".

I look on Delta's partner earnings chart for AF, and I see two types of Business Class for AF: "Business - J" and "Business - C,D,I,Z", with J having a higher MQM earning percentage (200) than C,D,I,Z (150). Couldn't see any reference to a "discount J", but I could be wrong?

Delta's system differentiates between the fare class paid and the fare class flown. They might have put you into open J inventory for the purpose of processing the upgrade, but they still know that your paid fare class was G or whatever it was.
skye1 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Delta's system differentiates between the fare class paid and the fare class flown. They might have put you into open J inventory for the purpose of processing the upgrade, but they still know that your paid fare class was G or whatever it was.
Thanks, that's helpful.

I can only relate to previous OneWorld experience, with BA, and wasn't sure how DL/AF handle this.

BA makes pro-active upgrade offers on its website and at the airport, just like AF does. For intra-Europe flights, this isn't good value for money, as the seats are the same as in economy, just with the blocked middle seat. Yet.....

Those crediting to BAEC often take advantage of these as they earn more tier points, essential for BAEC elite-level re-qualification.

Those crediting to AA won't, as it upgrades into a fare class that earns no additional miles.

Sounds like the AF offers can be good value for money on long-haul flights for the much better seat & experience, (especially for a lie-flat on an overnight flight) yet not for the more miles.

Last edited by skye1; Jan 1, 2019 at 12:44 pm
Old Jan 1, 2019, 9:41 am
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Delta's system differentiates between the fare class paid and the fare class flown.
well, usually.
jdrtravel and skye1 like this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by skye1

The BP doesn't differentiate between the cabin fare classes. It simply shows J for business and Y for economy.
skye1 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, *Gold on UA, FlyingBlue Gold (matched), SPG Plat
Ugh, was just coming here to ask about this as I had a CDG-SFO leg on December 31st.

Do you know how to find the original booking class on Air France? All my flights seemed to have very low MQD earnings...
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:38 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
It is an old datapoint, but in 2015 I was rerouted off of KLM/DL to AF because of weather in AMS. When I later went to OCLI on AF I was offered an upgrade to Premium Economy (€300 or thereabouts). I took it as I wasn't looking forward to the 10 abreast Y seats on the 777.

I did get the 50% MQM bonus when the flight posted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.