Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

FA Medical Emergency Diverts ATL-SAL to CUN 7/7

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2017, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Friends aboard ATL-SAL today reported they were diverted to CUN due to a medical issue with one of the FAs. They thought the FA might have been having a heart attack, and several medical professionals (my friend included) were able to assist. Upon landing at CUN, medics came onboard, and the FA was flown back to the US, while the ATL-SAL flight continued and arrived at SAL a little over two hours behind schedule.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 8:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Was an air ambulance waiting for the flight at CUN? If so, that's impressive (and expensive), but anyone who travels internationally to much of the world needs medical emergency air evacuation coverage just in case.

Did the friends say anything about whether the FA was old or seemed to be (not) in good shape?
Old Jul 7, 2017, 10:32 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by KDHFlyer
Friends aboard ATL-SAL today reported they were diverted to CUN due to a medical issue with one of the FAs. They thought the FA might have been having a heart attack, and several medical professionals (my friend included) were able to assist. Upon landing at CUN, medics came onboard, and the FA was flown back to the US, while the ATL-SAL flight continued and arrived at SAL a little over two hours behind schedule.
I hope the FA is well and a quick recovery to them. On a side note, medical professionals must fly more than the average occupation. I've been on at least 3 flights with medical emergencies and there has always been at least one on board and on one of those flights, there were 3 people that volunteered.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Was an air ambulance waiting for the flight at CUN? If so, that's impressive (and expensive), but anyone who travels internationally to much of the world needs medical emergency air evacuation coverage just in case.

Did the friends say anything about whether the FA was old or seemed to be (not) in good shape?
How much is air ambulance service and how much does medical emergency air evacuation coverage generally cost? I might need to factor that into my FireCalc equation.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by yohanson
How much is air ambulance service and how much does medical emergency air evacuation coverage generally cost? I might need to factor that into my FireCalc equation.
$400/yr presently to age 74; 75-85 it's still available but I have no idea what they charge. I've been a MedJet Assist member since college and have been 100% satisfied in every way. They've literally been a lifesaver.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 11:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Is this different than coverage I have with my Amex plat card?
Old Jul 7, 2017, 11:19 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by VibeGuy
$400/yr presently to age 74; 75-85 it's still available but I have no idea what they charge. I've been a MedJet Assist member since college and have been 100% satisfied in every way. They've literally been a lifesaver.
If I knew the price of a typical evacuation flight was, I may do that once I retire. I've never bought travel insurance and I'm glad I never have. That may change once I retire, whenever that might be. But, I'm sure I'm going EARLY!!!!
Old Jul 8, 2017, 12:57 am

Not to derail the thread:

Most travel insurance gets you to a "suitable medical facility"; MJA gets you to the hospital of your choice - even if that's the one down the street from your house. They'll use anything from extra seats on a commercial aircraft to full jet charter to do so.

A standard fixed-wing repatriation from Europe or the Middle East to the US starts around $40,000. Asia is closer to $100k. I have $25k in air ambulance coverage in my health insurance and it won't touch anything but "nearest suitable facility".
Old Jul 8, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by yohanson
I hope the FA is well and a quick recovery to them. On a side note, medical professionals must fly more than the average occupation. I've been on at least 3 flights with medical emergencies and there has always been at least one on board and on one of those flights, there were 3 people that volunteered.

Funny you mention the medical professionals. About five years ago we were flying home (can't remember from where, but a couple of hours flight) and they asked for medical assistance from the passengers. My wife is a RN, but has not done "hands-on" nursing (except for me) in over 40 years so she remained in her seat. When they requested again, I told her to go see if she could help. She was gone about an hour, but it was not a serious medical incidence. When she came back she said that there was a Dr. who answered the call, but she worked in research at the CDC so again not involved with patients. Everything turned out fine (won't go into the story), but they were the only two that time.

As someone quoted, evacuation coverage is very expensive and I haven't seen any complete coverage except for a specialized policy which we have.

Someone mentioned getting a policy when they retired and for those not of age, I will tell you that basic Medicare coverage provides nothing outside of the country. However, supplemental Medicare does provide some coverage with a 20% deductible. I figure that we could handle some incident which is not major (and would be covered if we needed to be flown back to the states).
Old Jul 8, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by miraclebear2003
As someone quoted, evacuation coverage is very expensive and I haven't seen any complete coverage except for a specialized policy which we have.
Evacuation insurance is not necessarily expensive. On Call International sells an unlimited plan for $225 per year. Pretty darn good, with good reviews. They also provide a few other services in that, but not complete health/medical insurance. Basically, we use them in addition to international Medicare health/medical coverage and it's close to 100% coverage. They are at oncallinternational dot com
Old Jul 8, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some folks on FT advocate using a diving association to get a reasonable policy. I don't remember the details.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat
DAN
http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/insurance/
Old Jul 8, 2017, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by bruceba
Thank you. This is quicker than a PM to JDiver.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 3:13 pm

Some folks on FT advocate using a diving association to get a reasonable policy. I don't remember the details.
Originally Posted by bruceba
I am a diver and I've been carrying DAN insurance for years. But I thought you had to have a dive related injury to be covered.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 3:34 pm

Delta's Employee Insurance would cover it and perhaps the FA could claim Workers Comp and PTO as it happened on the clock. The FA may not be allowed to perfom his or her duties until a clean bill of health is determined. I amm glad your friend was able to render assistance. My thouggts and prayers go out to the FA and their family in hopes for a speedy and full recovery!
Old Jul 8, 2017, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

They said the FA was maybe 35-40 years old and had also been dealing with some other health issues. They also said she was alert and was flown back home on another Delta flight from CUN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.