Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

D1 op-ups but no cash upgrade offers = does not make sense

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2017, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

On my second international flight this year, Delta is doing up-ups because Y is overbooked (apparently they upgrade people with higher status, because its not me) but not willing to sell me upgraded seat for $1000 cash. I think it does not make sense. I know that Delta is not as aggressive as other airlines offering day of departure upgardes for cash, but when flight is overbooked and the refuse to take $1000, it just does not make sense.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 1:37 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
They would have upgraded you for cash, just more cash than you were willing to spend. They've decided it's easier (and, perhaps, more rewarding in the long-term) for them to just op-up elites than to get into an auction with kettles.

WFBF
Old Jun 29, 2017, 1:41 pm

This keeps people from buying a cheap seat and assuming they can pay to get an upgrade. So if you don't have status you have to pay the $3K or more they wanted for the seat, you can't hope for a "cheap upgrade".

Delta's decided the long term profit is in getting people to pay the asking price not getting them to buy cheap and hope for a cheap upgrade meaning they get $1,000 for a seat that they think is work 3K.

Since they don't always have to do OP-UPs (I have flown on several international flights where there were LOTS of empty Business/D1 seats) the long term strategy probably works well.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 1:56 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I bet it would take a lot less than 10 Benjamin Franklins to get an op-up from most gate agents.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Also OpUps are often done right before boarding starts as it depends on non-shows, last minute cancelations, GUC waitlists, etc. Probably not much time to handle the paperwork.

And out outstations where Delta has one flight a day (or maybe two) there might not even be infrastructure at the gate to process payments easily. (Honestly don't know)

The one time I got a buy up offer at OLCI it was DTW-LHR in August (this was before GUCs). My guess is they were way oversold and had an empty BE (as it was then) cabin. Even then I was made the offer but my no status companion (separate PNRs) didn't get an offer and we checked in within 5 minutes of each other (I was first, so maybe I got the only one).

But just like the few totally surprise OpUps -- where as you board a new seat assignment spits out -- means I hold my breath when boarding and INTL flight, I now have a moments anticipation every time I do OLCI
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:14 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AntonS
On my second international flight this year, Delta is doing up-ups because Y is overbooked (apparently they upgrade people with higher status, because its not me) but not willing to sell me upgraded seat for $1000 cash. I think it does not make sense. I know that Delta is not as aggressive as other airlines offering day of departure upgardes for cash, but when flight is overbooked and the refuse to take $1000, it just does not make sense.
Some international D1 flights offer a cash upgrade option via OLCI or the kiosk. It's just a luck of the draw sort of thing.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by TTT
Some international D1 flights offer a cash upgrade option via OLCI or the kiosk. It's just a luck of the draw sort of thing.
Seems strange because in this scenario you would think DL would target a flight like this for a cash OPUP during online check-in if they are just going to have to give them away for free in the end. Might as well get some value out of them. Just My Thoughts.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Seems strange because in this scenario you would think DL would target a flight like this for a cash OPUP during online check-in if they are just going to have to give them away for free in the end. Might as well get some value out of them. Just My Thoughts.
I would speculate that Revenue Management worries that folks will quit buying D1 and roll the dice for the chance of a cheap buyup at check-in.

David
Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Yup, plenty of other airlines do this. Maybe DL believes it protects the long-term revenue integrity of business class. Does it actually? Other airlines don't think so.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:12 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Yup, plenty of other airlines do this. Maybe DL believes it protects the long-term revenue integrity of business class. Does it actually? Other airlines don't think so.
Some people just can't afford to drop $4k+ every time they cross the pond.

However, I try to fly KLM a lot rather than DL when flying Skyteam because if they have an empty seat in J they will sell it for cash or cash+miles.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Beckles
I bet it would take a lot less than 10 Benjamin Franklins to get an op-up from most gate agents.
I think it all depends on how you offer them those Ben Franklins
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:34 pm

Programs: DL DM MM
They do

I find that they do offer me cheap upgrades to D1 only when they are oversold in economy. I suspect they offer this to a small number of upper Medallion members and if there are any left over, they go to Op-Ups. If Y is not oversold, makes no sense to offer cheap upgrades because they would have a hard time selling J for those very high prices so they would make less money if they did that in the long run. Don't worry. Delta is good at extracting every bit of profit from their various programs, even if it might annoy flyers (revenue based miles, for example).
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:38 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by AntonS
On my second international flight this year, Delta is doing up-ups because Y is overbooked (apparently they upgrade people with higher status, because its not me)
Do you know for sure it's op-ups? Is it possible that the upgraded pax had GUC's clear?

And yes, generally speaking op-ups go to higher level medallions first.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:44 pm

Programs: Delta DM / 1M, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, Emerald Club Exec
I dream of an OpUp ! One day..... sigh....
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ncwillett
Do you know for sure it's op-ups? Is it possible that the upgraded pax had GUC's clear?
Yes I am sure, I asked at the gate, ICN=>SEA, HKG=>SEA and SEA=>CDG. On each flight they there were zero people on upgrade list and they were willing to sell me a seat only for $4k = walk up fare difference.

ICN => SEA was simply overbooked in Y, up-ups to C.

HKG=>SEA had too many non-rev pax on stand by, they upgraded elite pax and gave stand-by pax Y seats.

SEA=>CDG they gave C to non-rev stand-by pax last minute before closing the door.

Last edited by AntonS; Jun 29, 2017 at 6:55 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.