Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

2 delayed flights, extremely delayed bags = ruined vacation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2 delayed flights, extremely delayed bags = ruined vacation

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Asiaflyguy
His signature that says he is, unless that's not current to correct
OP also said he called the PM line, so perhaps he is a reformed DM.

Although....DHG....is this Diamond Hat Guy from several years ago???!?

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by DHG(Th)
No one on this fricking board has any empathy. You all want to flame throw and throw knives. Sorry I ever posted.
The issues that you dealt with are frustrating, and it's not hard to imagine that they might have upset you. There were also alternative options other posters have brought up which might have alleviated some of your concerns. The problems are not entirely uncommon, not specific to DL, and hardly a reason for other people to stop flying DL in favor of what is at least possibly (if not probably) a worse-on-average experience elsewhere. Taking out your frustrations on people who disagree with your view of the situation doesn't do your side of the story any favors.

Programs: DL DM
OP sounds more like a general member who travels once or twice a year. Not terribly pro-active. What about doing some "carry on" bags? Be prepared!
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:49 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by Asiaflyguy
His signature that says he is, unless that's not current to correct
OP reported multiple times that OP interacted with the Platinum line not the Diamond line.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:50 pm

No one on this fricking board has any empathy. You all want to flame throw and throw knives. Sorry I ever posted.

Couldn't be more wrong. Most of us fly frequently and most of us have had similar situations that we have had to deal with, so we have tremendous empathy for situations involving delays and delayed luggage. 1) if you book a flight in advance schedule changes and equipment swaps happen. If you book a year in advance, its guaranteed to happen. 2) If you have something you absolutely need, put it in your carry on. 3) If DL has 1x flight/week, unless you want your bag next week, they are going to need to send it to Timbuktu so it can get routed on another carrier. 4) One bad experience with delays on the most on-time carrier does not mean I am going to jump to a less reliable carrier if I have somewhere I "need to be." Always come prepared with a backup plan of how you will get to your destination if delays happen, especially if flight frequency is limited.

I have learned to do this from flying 1/4 of the miles on DL you have accumulated - you should know better. You made many rookie mistakes for someone who has flown as much as yourself, and then you whined about it. Lessons learned, move on.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
OP sounds more like a general member who travels once or twice a year. Not terribly pro-active. What about doing some "carry on" bags? Be prepared!
That's exactly what i thought. If I check a bag, I always carry some essentials to my needs in my carry on. If a business meeting, one change of nice clothes, if a beach vacation a bathing suit and flip flops.....
Old Jun 28, 2017, 4:09 pm

Change places with me and not knowing the area, how would YOU feel? Yes, we went shopping and could not find the correct replacements. By the time DL was finished "dicking" around with us, stores were closed and stayed closed on Sunday.
Sooo...couldn't find a long sleeve shirt and just use sunscreen?
Old Jun 28, 2017, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
OP also said he called the PM line, so perhaps he is a reformed DM.

Although....DHG....is this Diamond Hat Guy from several years ago???!?
I think he's the one and only.....
Old Jun 28, 2017, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro

I am extremely sensitive to sun and I had 4 50+ UV protection shirts in my bag to protect me from too much sun and getting sun poisoning. Out of a 7 day vacation, 3 were wasted waiting on a bag to be delivered. After extreme stress and anxiety, Delta has offered to throw some SkyPesos or a voucher as a "good will" gesture, but I find that insulting after what has happened. Delta has ruined our vacation.
We had empathy up until this! So will Delta! I would remove that paragraph before submitting your manifesto.

If Medallion, you should know what is a compensable expense with DL. Surely it can't be DL's first offense with you.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
hindsight is always 20/20, but for future travels, always carry at least one 50 SPF shirt in your carry-on bag

With that lovely comment, may I suggest you log off FT and switch to facebook or yahoo? You'll be in the company of thousands of keyboard warriors, in a digital space with an extremely low signal-to-noise ratio, who will agree with everything you say... Delta is a terrible airline, they purposely sent your bags to Canada just to .... with you, they're trying to poison you, blah blah blah... have fun, don't come back!
Old Jun 28, 2017, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
hindsight is always 20/20, but for future travels, always carry at least one 50 SPF shirt in your carry-on bag

With that lovely comment, may I suggest you log off FT and switch to facebook or yahoo? You'll be in the company of thousands of keyboard warriors, in a digital space with an extremely low signal-to-noise ratio, who will agree with everything you say... Delta is a terrible airline, they purposely sent your bags to Canada just to .... with you, they're trying to poison you, blah blah blah... have fun, don't come back!
Agreed!
Old Jun 28, 2017, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

.... Out of a 7 day vacation, 3 were wasted waiting on a bag to be delivered......
So where did you spend these 3 days? At the airport waiting for the bag? Somewhere else?
What did your travel insurance say when you made the claim?
Old Jun 28, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by OHDL1
I think he's the one and only.....
If so, that hat would have gone a long way toward protection from the sun!

In all seriousness, delays in baggage handling happen, and buying replacements at the destination is the usual suggested fix. We once had luggage delayed a full 48 hours to singapore and made the most of it with a mini shopping spree. Honestly, it was probably the most authentic trip to Orchard Road I've ever taken as a visitor! Delta (or rather, their ground handler dnata) even disbursed SG$100 in cash as a down payment at the airport, to be deducted from the final reimbursement when receipts were submitted.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 5:52 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

It seems that this thread is more about piling on the OP than being helpful.
Locking this up.
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.