FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   BOS Runway Construction (Summer 2017) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1846550-bos-runway-construction-summer-2017-a.html)

BostonPlanesAndTrains Jun 5, 2017 4:07 pm

BOS Runway Construction (Summer 2017)

Due to RWY-TAXI / CONSTRUCTION, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving General Edward Lawrence Logan International Airport, Boston, MA (BOS). This is causing some arriving flights to be delayed an average of 3 hours and 14 minutes. To see if you may be affected, select your departure airport and check "Delays by Destination".
The longer North/South RWY (4R/22L is anyone cares) is out of service for a lot of the summer, so we will be experiencing crazy delays. No Parallel Runways can land Jets, so we're in for a rough couple of months.

EDIT: Will open for Landing's ONLY from June 23rd.

rylan Jun 5, 2017 5:47 pm

Hah, I was coming here to post the same thing! BOS is a f'in mess for the past several weeks since this started, and is going to be a mess through August.

Unless you have perfect conditions, expect widespread chronic delays once you get into the PM hours. Toss in some low ceilings and rain, and its cancellation time... starting with DL Connection, ie the black sheep of ATC irops.

BOSTravels Jun 5, 2017 6:03 pm

Are the TATL flights equally impacted?

btonkid12345 Jun 5, 2017 6:28 pm

Anyone have any experience with how good the Medallion Desk is for allowing changes/co-terminal changes?

I am on the 8:03 pm flight BOS-ATL tomorrow. Upgraded already.

All F seats save 2 disappeared in the last few hours. Also, today's 8:03 pm is showing an over 3 hour delay tonight. I don't want to deal with the exact same.

Thanks in advance for any anecdotes anyone may have to help.

rylan Jun 5, 2017 7:21 pm

TATL arrivals get the priority so they are generally getting in on time, however those making connections from tatl will likely see it delayed... or if trying to get to BOS for tatl you're in trouble.

Tomorrow is going to be worse for weather with more rain... and more clouds on Wed. Don't expect 'normal' operations until Thurs.

As for co-terminal, yes it is an unpublished DM benefit, especially with delays if you need to reroute. Not sure what you're looking for though since there is no co-terminal for BOS. I would expect the 8pm to be severely delayed again tomorrow... and with it being the last flight there is danger of a cancel depending how much the delays stack up.

BOSTravels Jun 5, 2017 7:24 pm

I assume Delta is aware of the runway issue. Then why not adjust the schedule instead of dealing with delays every day?

rylan Jun 5, 2017 8:03 pm

I wondered the same thing... or at least post an alert on the DL website. I'm sure many pax don't know what they're in for.

rylan Jun 6, 2017 7:55 am

According to the FAA status, BOS is already running up to 2.5hr arrival delays... its only going to get much worse later.

BOSTravels Jun 6, 2017 7:57 am

Originally Posted by rylan (Post 28409618)
According to the FAA status, BOS is already running 2.5hr arrival delays... its only going to get much worse later.

DL119 seems to be relatively on time...

hi55us Jun 6, 2017 7:59 am

Originally Posted by rylan (Post 28407787)
As for co-terminal, yes it is an unpublished DM benefit, especially with delays if you need to reroute. Not sure what you're looking for though since there is no co-terminal for BOS. I would expect the 8pm to be severely delayed again tomorrow... and with it being the last flight there is danger of a cancel depending how much the delays stack up.

Perhaps you could convince the agent to switch to PVD, which is only 49 miles and has flights to DTW and ATL.

rylan Jun 6, 2017 8:05 am

Originally Posted by BOSTravels (Post 28409630)
DL119 seems to be relatively on time...

International gets priority for sequencing. Domestic flights will get delayed as more intl flights arrive.

jrkmsp Jun 6, 2017 9:17 am

We were 90 minutes late out of MSP to BOS this morning. I fly home Friday — more rain in the forecast. I have a lot of trips to Boston this summer. I have a feeling it's going to be very long.

DLASflyer Jun 6, 2017 9:21 am

Agents at the BOS counter waived the fee this morning to SDC to an earlier flight on a 3-leg itinerary (no status here.) No formal travel waiver but the red coats were telling agents to proceed as if there was. ^^

My new 9:00 Endeavor CRJ to JFK left on time.

LoganFlyer Jun 6, 2017 9:30 am

Yup...I'm booking every 6 AM flight out of BOS I can to try to avoid the delays. Of course, not much I can do about the return flights :(. But this has very little to do with DL specifically.

rylan Jun 6, 2017 10:09 am

Good job on the redcoats waiving fees for SDC to help reduce the number of pax impacted by the delays. ^

What is frustrating is checking your flight status and it shows on time, even though the incoming upstream is 1.5hrs+ late and there is no way they can make it up.

BOSTravels Jun 6, 2017 10:11 am

Maybe start booking flights that are scheduled to depart 30-60 minutes earlier than you used to do. So, instead of booking e.g. MSP-BOS at 5 PM, book MSP-BOS at 4 PM.

rrgg Jun 6, 2017 10:12 am

Since this is posted under DL, are you saying this only affects DL?

BostonPlanesAndTrains Jun 6, 2017 10:25 am

Originally Posted by rrgg (Post 28410229)
Since this is posted under DL, are you saying this only affects DL?

BOS is a Hub for DL. And they have 100ish daily flights, compared to smaller amounts by other airlines (except JetBlue )

rrgg Jun 6, 2017 10:42 am

So I think your answer is no. It seems like it would help others to post this in another forum. Just a thought.

I'm not sure I agree that DL overshadows the rest. Maybe they have the most destinations, but lots of non DL passengers go through BOS. It seems like they were tied for 3rd by market share: 30.29% passengers on B6, 22.19% AA, 12.34% DL, 12.34% UA, 10.15% WN.

rylan Jun 6, 2017 10:57 am

The point of this thread is for how the runway closure impacts DL operations through BOS, not everybody. Sure, can move this to a general aviation forum and most of us will never look in the thread again since it'll be cluttered with other airline info.

BostonPlanesAndTrains Jun 6, 2017 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg (Post 28410379)
So I think your answer is no. It seems like it would help others to post this in another forum. Just a thought.

I'm not sure I agree that DL overshadows the rest. Maybe they have the most destinations, but lots of non DL passengers go through BOS. It seems like they were tied for 3rd by market share: 30.29% passengers on B6, 22.19% AA, 12.34% DL, 12.34% UA, 10.15% WN.

I'm sorry, I was just trying to share the information that I had, to the forum about the airline that I use, and has a hub in said city. What about the LAX terminal change thread? Do you think that should go to General Aviation too, because DL isn't the only airline affected?

rrgg Jun 6, 2017 2:53 pm

Like I said, just a thought.

jrkmsp Jun 6, 2017 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg (Post 28411474)
Like I said, just a thought.

While I respect your thought, I disagree. Those of us flying DL in/out of Boston a lot this summer need airline-specific info — like the "act-like-there's-a-waiver" instruction. Also, help identifying patterns in what flights go and what flights are late.

I'll start:

MSP-BOS today, first flight delayed 90 minutes, second flight delayed 150 minutes, third flight delayed 120 minutes, fourth flight delayed an ESTIMATED 4h16.

Moral of this story, take the first flight of the day until further notice.

rrgg Jun 6, 2017 4:05 pm

I concede. This wasn't a demand.

rylan Jun 6, 2017 6:02 pm

Check out some of the DL connection flights. DL3499 BOS-JFK delayed for 8 hours.

mnbp Jun 6, 2017 7:17 pm

Impacts like LAX/SFO/BOS runway/taxiway construction affect each carrier at that airport differently, because each airline has to make the best decision for their overall operation as to which flights to operate on time, delay or cancel. The answer for each airline is going to vary as each airline has a different mix of aircraft sizes and missions to manage.

For DL, the top priority one might imagine would be international, then TCON, then Hub. Bottom priority is likely going to be regional jets.

For pax, the calculation is different. Right now, the best advice is probably - Don't connect in BOS.

FSUnole03 Jun 6, 2017 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by jrkmsp (Post 28411507)
While I respect your thought, I disagree. Those of us flying DL in/out of Boston a lot this summer need airline-specific info — like the "act-like-there's-a-waiver" instruction. Also, help identifying patterns in what flights go and what flights are late.

I'll start:

MSP-BOS today, first flight delayed 90 minutes, second flight delayed 150 minutes, third flight delayed 120 minutes, fourth flight delayed an ESTIMATED 4h16.

Moral of this story, take the first flight of the day until further notice.

Originally Posted by rylan (Post 28412099)
Check out some of the DL connection flights. DL3499 BOS-JFK delayed for 8 hours.

Are you sure these weren't weather related? It's been gale force winds and rain today and yesterday in BOS. It's like winter weather, not summer!

jrkmsp Jun 6, 2017 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by FSUnole03 (Post 28412322)
Are you sure these weren't weather related? It's been gale force winds and rain today and yesterday in BOS. It's like winter weather, not summer!

Oh weather definitely played a part — but it's not weather alone. I've flown in and out of here probably 40-50 times over the past five years (no joke) and this is as bad as I've seen. Weather combined with construction is a bad combination.

UVAhoo06 Jun 6, 2017 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by jrkmsp (Post 28412556)
Oh weather definitely played a part — but it's not weather alone. I've flown in and out of here probably 40-50 times over the past five years (no joke) and this is as bad as I've seen. Weather combined with construction is a bad combination.

I'm a bit confused: So, when will the construction end? I have a flight from BOS-SFO coming up in late July, and I'm getting concerned..

Zorak Jun 6, 2017 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by UVAhoo06 (Post 28412590)
I'm a bit confused: So, when will the construction end? I have a flight from BOS-SFO coming up in late July, and I'm getting concerned..

https://www.google.com/search?q=boston+runway+schedule

N639DL Jun 6, 2017 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by rylan (Post 28412099)

That must've ran into some other issue on top of the ground delay program whether crew, maintenance, etc.

I heard the morning was challenging but the afternoon and night for Tuesday wasn't as bad as I was expecting it to be. Fortunately it will be sunny tomorrow.

BostonPlanesAndTrains Jun 7, 2017 7:23 am

It should be pretty ok. The runway will be opening up for landings, so that should help the traffic flow. Currently, the Landing and Departures Runways, Intersect each other, so it's one at a time. That should help clear some traffic.

BostonPlanesAndTrains Jun 7, 2017 7:24 am

I Made, this. Kinda, technical, but gives Y'all and Idea of what's happening.

https://flic.kr/p/Vva9Hb https://flic.kr/p/Vva9Hb

rylan Jun 7, 2017 10:54 am

When you get low ceilings and wind in the wrong direction, they started using 15R for arrivals... and you get huge delays as everybody has to fly north and loop back around to land to the southeast.

I think they've been using 33L for arrivals primarily over the past few weeks.

appleguru Jun 7, 2017 11:40 am

Has anyone been affected on an international flight out of BOS yet?

flew into BOS from DTW Monday AM without major delay (landed 10mins early). Visibility was awful at the time and ATC did have us enter a short holding pattern to sequence for landing.

Flying out of BOS to AMS on Sunday evening. Have a relatively tight connection so hope I'm not delayed!

BostonPlanesAndTrains Jun 7, 2017 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by rylan (Post 28414754)
When you get low ceilings and wind in the wrong direction, they started using 15R for arrivals... and you get huge delays as everybody has to fly north and loop back around to land to the southeast.

I think they've been using 33L for arrivals primarily over the past few weeks.

I've seen mainly 27, but I only really look during peak times. 33L usually takeoffs and few L/H landings, but mainly departures during main traffic time.

yaychemistry Jun 7, 2017 12:07 pm

From MASSPORT:

The project will begin in mid-May and run through November of this year. During that time, Runway 4R-22L will be closed for approximately 40 days from May 15th through late June, which will allow for critical work to be done.
After the initial closure, work will continue from late June to early August between 10:00PM and 2:00PM, with Runway 22L available for arrivals only. Both runway ends will be available for arrivals and departures during the busier late afternoon/evening period. The goal is for the entire project, including the light pier work, to be completed no later than November 1. Subject to wind and weather, communities may experience changes in runways in use during the period of construction.
https://www.massport.com/news-room/n...r-runway-work/

Hopefully the big disruption will be over by late June.

The construction itself only seems to causing minor delays. But throw in just a little bit of weather, and the whole thing backs way up.

yaychemistry Jun 7, 2017 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by BostonPlanesAndTrains (Post 28415088)
I've seen mainly 27, but I only really look during peak times. 33L usually takes a few L/H landings, but mainly departures during main traffic time.

My neighbors are certainly complaining more about the noise from the additional 33L departures. But I like it - my office has a great view of the 33L take-off path.

Janr Jun 8, 2017 6:59 pm

Anyone know why DL 980 from ATL to BOS has been very late every day this week? Suppose to land at 5:45 but has not gotten into BOS before 7 this week. I have a connection going to CDG that leaves at 7:00. Would have missed it every time. Delta says only way they will change my ticket is if I pay the difference in the fare from when I booked to what it is now. They'll wave the change fee. I'm in business and purchased my ticket for $3200 for ATL to BOM. Now they want $9000. Agent says only way to get around it is to wait to Tuesday when I check in to leave. Have 5 additional passengers in my group in economy. Worried that they won't be able to accommodate all of us to make sure we make the international connection. If anyone has a suggestion on how to accomplish the change before the day of travel, I would to here it. Thanks.

rylan Jun 8, 2017 8:11 pm

If you looked in the thread at all, that should answer your question. Runway construction with weather = lots of delays.

Watch your flight, if there is any delay you can proactively call and get changed to an earlier one. Unfortunately since there aren't any travel alerts or waivers, its unlikely they will do anything before/until there is an actual delay posted.