Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

JFK-SEA: Worth an extra $100 for DeltaOne 757?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK-SEA: Worth an extra $100 for DeltaOne 757?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by apodo77
Didn't read all the posts but is there a risk to being downgraded to a regular ole 757 prior to departure?
Not sure where the plane is going next.
Yes, that is true. On JFK-SEA and vice versa, the 75S (lie flat version) isn't guaranteed. It's only guaranteed on the true D1 domestic routes. I wouldn't call an equipment change likely, but possible.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 2:42 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Depends on whether he has another use for that voucher or if it will expire.
I agree. While vouchers are largely fungible for frequent fliers, for infrequent fliers they may expire or, as in OP's case, influence flight choices.

I think that it is both fare to point out the larger overall fare difference, and important to take the possibility that the voucher would otherwise go unused into consideration.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 4:04 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

In our case we are very infrequent fliers.....about 3 times a year mostly to Mexico on AA. So the opportunity to use these AMEX vouchers, which were acquired last year because we thought we were going to fly Delta for another trip,( we didn't), would be a bonus.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:32 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by david55
In our case we are very infrequent fliers.....about 3 times a year mostly to Mexico on AA. So the opportunity to use these AMEX vouchers, which were acquired last year because we thought we were going to fly Delta for another trip,( we didn't), would be a bonus.
We were getting close to violating forum rules by having the thread go on for so long with only useful information rather than arguing with one another about details such as whether spending a $100 gift certificate counts as "spending" $100.

I think that a secondary Amex Plat carries its own right to club entry and allows the holder to apply for his own PP card, but it costs extra - the last time I looked I think it was $175, and maybe that included up to 3 cards.

As others have noted, you do have to sign up for the PP card, rather than just present your Amex, in order to get to a PP lounge. I don't see that as relevant for this trip, but it's worth doing at some point if you didn't already.

I might take the less expensive flight and spend the $100 on pet supplies. But what I might spend the money on, or what choice *I* might make about which airline to take, could not be less relevant.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 2:21 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I find the AS F seats very uncomfortable due to their reduced pitch. I would gladly pay $100 x2 for the much more comfortable seat you'll get on DL.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 5:07 am

Programs: EK Blue, EY Guest, AA, QR
A question about JFK-SEA in coach, thought of asking here instead of opening a new thread

Would anyone recommend the 767 to SEA from JFK over the 757 to PDX?

The 2-3-2 is of course better but is there a chance the PDX route sees newer 757 vs the older 767 to SEA ?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Originally Posted by LonghornDXB
A question about JFK-SEA in coach, thought of asking here instead of opening a new thread

Would anyone recommend the 767 to SEA from JFK over the 757 to PDX?

The 2-3-2 is of course better but is there a chance the PDX route sees newer 757 vs the older 767 to SEA ?
I think you will find that the general consensus is that DL's 767 coach/C+ seats are the best in their fleet as far as domestic Y goes (wider seats than updated configurations).

Unless, of course, you can score 21A or 21F on the new 739s which are my favorite (unlimited legroom).
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:24 am
C W

Originally Posted by bj27
I think you will find that the general consensus is that DL's 767 coach/C+ seats are the best in their fleet as far as domestic Y goes (wider seats than updated configurations).

Unless, of course, you can score 21A or 21F on the new 739s which are my favorite (unlimited legroom).
For me unlimited legroom cannot even come close to making up for playing elbow tag with my seatmate for 6 hours on any variety of 737. The 767s are the exception to the rule of Boeing designing their planes for miserable Y seat widths, the 18.5" is pretty nice compared to both the 737 and 757 at 17.1".
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In addition, the 767's 2-3-2 configuration in coach means that there are bigger fractions of aisle seats and smaller fractions of middle seats compared to the 757's 3-3.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Originally Posted by C W
For me unlimited legroom cannot even come close to making up for playing elbow tag with my seatmate for 6 hours on any variety of 737. The 767s are the exception to the rule of Boeing designing their planes for miserable Y seat widths, the 18.5" is pretty nice compared to both the 737 and 757 at 17.1".
This is true -- I will say I'm not the biggest guy so there isn't a marked difference to me between 18.5" seat width and 17.1" seat width and I (personally) would rather have the unlimited legroom. But usually I don't get a choice since my flights are dictated by business schedule.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In addition, the 767's 2-3-2 configuration in coach means that there are bigger fractions of aisle seats and smaller fractions of middle seats compared to the 757's 3-3.
^
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:40 am
C W

Originally Posted by bj27
This is true -- I will say I'm not the biggest guy so there isn't a marked difference to me between 18.5" seat width and 17.1" seat width and I (personally) would rather have the unlimited legroom. But usually I don't get a choice since my flights are dictated by business schedule.
I hear this a lot and I suppose it's true if there is an empty middle. But even at a paltry 5' 11'', 145lb, and 28" waist I almost always have way too much elbow and even shoulder contact with my seatmate on 737s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.