FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Is DL2549 MSP-BOS overbooked today? If so, my how much? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1844318-dl2549-msp-bos-overbooked-today-if-so-my-how-much.html)

Task Force DL May 24, 2017 9:34 am

Is DL2549 MSP-BOS overbooked today? If so, my how much?

Hi DL Insiders,

Can anyone help me with this? PMs are fine if that is preferred.

Regards,
TFD

rylan May 24, 2017 10:08 am

Well based that the flight doesn't come up on DL or EF, it is zeroed out across the board. Same with 1529. Not sure if that helps since you're looking for oversell info, but since they aren't selling any more seats you can imply it is oversold.

Task Force DL May 24, 2017 10:13 am

It is overbooked by 8. I received a nice PM from an insider. Thanks to all.

lovefly88 May 24, 2017 10:52 am

How much were they giving out?

jrkmsp May 24, 2017 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by lovefly88 (Post 28354137)
How much were they giving out?

I take this flight a couple times a month and haven't ever managed to snag a voucher on it — and not for lack of trying. I wonder what caused this particular one to be so over-sold...

yaychemistry May 24, 2017 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by jrkmsp (Post 28354957)
I take this flight a couple times a month and haven't ever managed to snag a voucher on it — and not for lack of trying. I wonder what caused this particular one to be so over-sold...

My guess is that it's something to do with the runway construction at BOS creating delays this week. My SEA-BOS flight on Monday was delayed 5 hours, so there was a crowd of people moving from various SEA-MSP/SLC gates looking to get on standby.

Often1 May 24, 2017 2:58 pm

Overbooked is a meaningless number. It's the oversell which matters. At a hub such as MSP, all it takes is one major connection from overseas or the West Coast being delayed and overbooked by 8 drops to undersold by 8.

DL has been remarkably good at predicting the actual oversell at the gate and that largely decreases the need to pay VDB.

denverhockeyguy May 24, 2017 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by jrkmsp (Post 28354957)

Boston has been delayed due to runway, but it's also graduation season in Boston. If you think getting a flight is bad, try a hotel...

jrkmsp May 24, 2017 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by denverhockeyguy (Post 28355615)
Boston has been delayed due to runway, but it's also graduation season in Boston. If you think getting a flight is bad, try a hotel...

Believe me, I know. I'm staying way out in Newton on my next trip, and then in some hole in the wall in Cambridge the week after that.

KDCAflyer May 24, 2017 8:34 pm

DL's Twitter will tell you if a flight is oversold.

davetravels May 24, 2017 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by WWads (Post 28356193)
DL's Twitter will tell you if a flight is oversold.

But, they don't usually tell you by how many.

I had a flight last week that appeared to be sold out. I called, and was told that it WAS overbooked. I asked - by how many. I was told - "By a handful".

I called again a couple of hours later and was told - "By a few".

If you want to know how many it's overbooked/sold by, you need to know someone who has Deltanet.