Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Future of Loyalty on DL when Flying International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2017, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE

Hello all,

I think we will be faced with a no-brainer situation shortly! American is about to leave Delta in the dust when it comes to benefits for top tier members on Intl flights:

1. On American EXP's will get same day upgrades to Premium Economy FREE! No such possibility on DL!
2. American will have extra legroom coach seats on almost all their international fleet for if upgrades do not clear. Delta will have limited planes with such seats.
3. Delta will have 28 J seats on 777s. American will have 37-52. Upgrades should be far easier!
4. The new Delta suites are not really a premium product. The Vantage Business Class seats (XL included) are not considered even remotely close in comfort to the Reverse Herringbone and APEX suites. Who needs a door!? .. Id like to not stick my feet into a 5 inch hole!

I am still EXP with American and Platinum with Delta. Im thinking with these upcoming changes its best to keep it that way and not go for Diamond. I am hard pressed to understand DL and how they keep customers loyal.
Old May 20, 2017, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by aero0729
2. American will have extra legroom coach seats on almost all their international fleet for if upgrades do not clear. Delta will have limited planes with such seats.
Delta has extra legroom seats on all of the international fleet today, and has for several years - just as Delta has had lie-flat seats in all of long-haul J for several years and AA still doesn't.

Delta also has more domestic aircraft with extra legroom seats, more domestic aircraft with wifi, more domestic aircraft with F cabins, more aircraft with AVOD at every seat...

Last edited by 3Cforme; May 20, 2017 at 3:51 pm
Old May 20, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I am mostly a TATL flyer (with some pure domestic now and then) so the loss of C+ won't effect me -- yet.

When/if they start removing C+ from TATL flights then I certainly will start to research options (not that Delta will miss me). I am not such a snowflake that I can't survive outside of J but that extra few inches for me is the difference between tolerability and discomfort.

And before anybody starts on "what did you do before C+" -- with PMNW the first 20 or so (may have been more) rows of the 330 were essentially C+ with extra legroom and power.
Old May 20, 2017, 5:28 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
The bigger problem is Delta cancelled many Asia-based routes, including a lot of my backbone routes for business travel. So much so, I know quite a few DM elites are considering leaving Delta/SkyTeam including myself... Delta is slowly becoming likes of Southwest, a domestic airline...
Old May 20, 2017, 5:50 pm

I've been elite on both. Those upgrades you see on AA are even rarer than Delta upgrades.

AA is proof the grass is only greener because there is differerent manure.

But the churn continues. DL fliers go to AA. AA fliers go to Delta.
Old May 20, 2017, 5:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Delta could easily, if they really think it's an issue, offer Upgrades to PE(as if it was C+).
Old May 20, 2017, 6:55 pm

Programs: delta dm
Until AA steps up their horrendous hard product they will always be the little train that coulda woulda shoulda but didnt.

Last edited by dzflyer; May 20, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Old May 20, 2017, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by wlau
The bigger problem is Delta cancelled many Asia-based routes, including a lot of my backbone routes for business travel. So much so, I know quite a few DM elites are considering leaving Delta/SkyTeam including myself... Delta is slowly becoming likes of Southwest, a domestic airline...
+ 1 I also believe that DL will revert to being a mainly domestic airline..

I now have zero loyalty to DL for TPAC flights due to cancelled routes, older aircraft and reduction in quality of the soft product.
Old May 20, 2017, 7:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Hello all,

I think we will be faced with a no-brainer situation shortly! American is about to leave Delta in the dust when it comes to benefits for top tier members on Intl flights:

1. On American EXP's will get same day upgrades to Premium Economy FREE! No such possibility on DL!
3. Delta will have 28 J seats on 777s. American will have 37-52. Upgrades should be far easier!
4. The new Delta suites are not really a premium product. The Vantage Business Class seats (XL included) are not considered even remotely close in comfort to the Reverse Herringbone and APEX suites. Who needs a door!? .. Id like to not stick my feet into a 5 inch hole!

I am still EXP with American and Platinum with Delta. Im thinking with these upcoming changes its best to keep it that way and not go for Diamond. I am hard pressed to understand DL and how they keep customers loyal.
DL doesn't do J upgrades. Occasional OP-UP's, yes.
Didn't AA just announce that they're going to revenue based priority for UG's? Are you a BIG spender?
Old May 20, 2017, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Having bounced around all 3 programs after leaving UA as a very dissatisfied 1K at the height of the Smisek fiasco all I can say is the grass definitely ain't green anywhere.

That's why I've landed as a FA who takes the flights that suit me. I've found it's much​ less stressful and also cheaper in the long run to just buy what I want on a specific flight.
Old May 20, 2017, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Super G. Im referring to Instrument upgrades. In most cases a bigger J cabin means easier upgrades.
Old May 20, 2017, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by dzflyer
Until AA steps up their horrendous hard product they will always be the little train that coulda woulda shoulda but didnt.
When is the last time you've flown AA long haul J?

Originally Posted by SuperG1955
DL doesn't do J upgrades. Occasional OP-UP's, yes.
Didn't AA just announce that they're going to revenue based priority for UG's? Are you a BIG spender?
Revenue-based as a tiebreaker after elite level.
Old May 20, 2017, 8:27 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
What's your source? The PE thread in the AA forum has come to the opposite conclusion.
Old May 20, 2017, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

AAs hard product is now better than Delta

I'm not a fan of either carriers 767 seat and Delta has more 767s.

American has reverse Herringbone on most planes. That's the winner. These delta One suites might look snazzy but the Thompson seats lack in comfort. The new seats are really the same seat but with a door and a bigger screen.

Food is a little better on Delta but it's so hit an miss on both airlines.

American DOES offer EXPs free Premium Economy on day of departure and it's really nice getting MCE if you miss an upgrade. In the future delta won't have any comfort plus seats overseas.
Old May 20, 2017, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by bennos
No... the conclusion of the AA forum is exactly as aero0729 stated. This tidbit from yesterday would represent a reversal of course, and as such, would be big news if true.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.