Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Basic Econmy - overbooking

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2017, 4:01 am
Original Poster

Basic Econmy - overbooking

Do the new overbooking compensation rules imply that Delta must ask for volunteers before denying boarding to Basic Economy with no seat assignment?

In general how often is a Basic Economy passenger bumped? Travelling with group of 3 with same confirmation number, Thanksgiving weekend, CRJ.
Old May 18, 2017, 4:39 am

Delta's policy is to offer up to $2000 / $9950 for volunteers, which they will solicit prior to denying boarding to a confirmed basic economy ticket.

http://fortune.com/2017/04/14/delta-airlines-overbooked-flight-passenger-compensation/

so in this sense, this is the same question as, what's the likelihood people will reject such an offer on thanksgiving?

I guess its possible. Though a lot less likely these days.
Old May 18, 2017, 5:00 am
Original Poster

Wouldn't they stop offering at four times the paid Basic Economy fare? I think that's what denied boarding is?

Last edited by mmthomas44; May 18, 2017 at 5:08 am
Old May 18, 2017, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by mmthomas44
Wouldn't they stop offering at three times the paid Basic Economy fare? I think that's what denied boarding is?
They shouldn't. Whatever is necessary to get each one of your party a seat. Probably not together, but, a seat.
Old May 18, 2017, 5:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by sogi
Delta's policy is to offer up to $2000 / $9950 for volunteers, which they will solicit prior to denying boarding to a confirmed basic economy ticket.

http://fortune.com/2017/04/14/delta-...-compensation/

so in this sense, this is the same question as, what's the likelihood people will reject such an offer on thanksgiving?

I guess its possible. Though a lot less likely these days.
I've always wanted to book a ticket to somewhere for Thanksgiving weekend, and hope to volunteer for a few flights.
Old May 18, 2017, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Do the new overbooking compensation rules imply that Delta must ask for volunteers before denying boarding to Basic Economy with no seat assignment?
You're looking for a distinction that doesn't exist. The applicable DOT CFR demanding a call for volunteers makes no reference to cabin of service (or of service-limited tickets like Basic Economy within the coach cabin).

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/250.2b

See Delta's Contract of Carriage for IDB prioritization rules.
Old May 18, 2017, 5:57 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Originally Posted by kipper
I've always wanted to book a ticket to somewhere for Thanksgiving weekend, and hope to volunteer for a few flights.
I did that once. Booked a same day cheap round trip. Cost me $200 for the airfare, $15 for lunch at my destination and $12 for airport parking. No bumps.
Old May 18, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Originally Posted by kipper
I did that once. Booked a same day cheap round trip. Cost me $200 for the airfare, $15 for lunch at my destination and $12 for airport parking. No bumps.
Old May 18, 2017, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by sogi
I think more so than the voucher amount, it depends on the family you're going to see for Thanksgiving.
Old May 18, 2017, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's lots of Delta VDB. There were 129K VDBs on Delta mainline last year among 129 million passenger boardings. DL's rate of VDB is rather higher than AA or UA - the strive for high load factors at play. But trying to position for VDB is like trying to catch lightning - you need to be in just the right place at the right time. There are 25 million cloud-to-ground lightning strikes in an average year across the U.S. YTD, the National Weather Service reports just one human fatality.
Old May 18, 2017, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
There's lots of Delta VDB. There were 129K VDBs on Delta mainline last year among 129 million passenger boardings. DL's rate of VDB is rather higher than AA or UA - the strive for high load factors at play. But trying to position for VDB is like trying to catch lightning - you need to be in just the right place at the right time. There are 25 million cloud-to-ground lightning strikes in an average year across the U.S. YTD, the National Weather Service reports just one human fatality.
But knowing where to go can help. After all, the Empire State Building is struck by lightning an average of 23 times per year so your odds of catching lightning are greater if you go to the Empire State Building.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ning/87559694/
Old May 18, 2017, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, and extending that reasoning, if kipper can buy tickets and volunteer at the gate on all ~1,000 Delta + Delta Connection flights departing ATL the Sunday after Thanksgiving, he will have a very good chance of snagging VDB.
Old May 18, 2017, 7:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
But knowing where to go can help. After all, the Empire State Building is struck by lightning an average of 23 times per year so your odds of catching lightning are greater if you go to the Empire State Building.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ning/87559694/
OT, but I always thought your odds were "best" if you play golf near a large body of water in a thunderstorm. Bonus points for entering the water trap to retrieve ball, while holding club above your head.
Old May 18, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Wouldn't they stop offering at four times the paid Basic Economy fare? I think that's what denied boarding is?
I think you are saying that they may stop increasing the amount they will pay in the event that the offer exceeds the 400% of the fare they are required to pay (by law) if they involuntarily deny someone boarding. The answer is not anymore.

This is exactly what happened with the recent United fiasco, and airlines all (I think all, maybe now) shifted their policies after this so that they will really pay whatever it takes to get a volunteer (up to $10K) and avoid having to involuntarily deny anyone boarding.
Old May 18, 2017, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mspeconomist
ot, but i always thought your odds were "best" if you play golf near a large body of water in a thunderstorm. Bonus points for entering the water trap to retrieve ball, while holding club above your head.
Name:  IMG_5555.PNG
Views: 2852
Size:  239.2 KB

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.