FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   How many upgrades am I missing due to no delta reserve credit card? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1842465-how-many-upgrades-am-i-missing-due-no-delta-reserve-credit-card.html)

crazygrow May 14, 2017 9:52 am

How many upgrades am I missing due to no delta reserve credit card?

I'm a platinum based in Salt Lake with most travel to SFO, CHicago and NYC. I've already re qualified for platinum for next year and may make diamond.

I've had zero upgrades to first this year and am often not even in the top five after they clear. Is this due to the reserve card benefit or just so many diamonds and sold first class seats? Any way to determine this?

gregsfortytwo May 14, 2017 10:00 am

Originally Posted by crazygrow (Post 28310058)
I'm a platinum based in Salt Lake with most travel to SFO, CHicago and NYC. I've already re qualified for platinum for next year and may make diamond.

I've had zero upgrades to first this year and am often not even in the top five after they clear. Is this due to the reserve card benefit or just so many diamonds and sold first class seats? Any way to determine this?

I think it's the diamond count. It could also be the tickets you're buying -- upgrade order is determined by:

1 Medallion Status
2 Fare Class Groupings
3 Delta Reserve Credit Card Members
4 Delta Corporate Travelers
5 Card Members who earned the Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQD) Waiver in the current calendar year
6 Date and time of upgrade request
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...tml#firstclass

Plus you're at a mid-tier hub flying to tier-1 destinations. Upgrade space is going to be hard to come by, especially if you're on business traveler flights. I recently flew LAX-BOS and back and my (Tuesday morning) flight was an easy upgrade but the Friday night return I was 15th or something (also Platinum).

hockeystl May 14, 2017 10:01 am

Platinum is the new Silver due to so many paid FC upgrades now. Even DM's have a dramatically reduced upgrade %.

Don't expect much difference with an AmEx Reserve as a Plat.

MSPeconomist May 14, 2017 10:05 am

If you often find yourself at the top of the list after upgrades have been cleared and all FC seats given out, so that you're the first person on the upgrade list to fail to have the upgrade confirmed, a Reserve card might help. Otherwise it will probably just move you up from #15 to #14 on some flights.

It's only a tiebreaker.

hockeystl May 14, 2017 10:37 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 28310096)
If you often find yourself at the top of the list after upgrades have been cleared ...... a Reserve card might help.

OP stated he/she is *NOT* often at the top of the list. Reserve card would be a waste of $$$ unless he/she values SC access.

gooselee May 14, 2017 11:20 am

Originally Posted by hockeystl (Post 28310206)
OP stated he/she is *NOT* often at the top of the list. Reserve card would be a waste of $$$ unless he/she values SC access.

Or if the MQMs get OP to DM. ;)

krlcomm May 14, 2017 1:39 pm

SLC is a tough airport for UGs even if you're DM, especially w/ the popular routes you indicate you fly on. I doubt that credit card will help you much on the UG front... the MQMs that come w/ spend might help you get to DM though.

javabytes May 14, 2017 2:06 pm

I concur that if you are often not even in the top 5, the Reserve card won't make a lick of difference, as it's only a tiebreaker after status and fare class. If you find yourself consistently on the bubble, then you may want to consider it.

NoleATL May 15, 2017 6:10 am

We are platinum because of the reserve card and have received a surprisingly high number of upgrades. Even on ATL to SFO & SAN. These upgrades and SC access have made the card VERY much worth it IMHO. We pretty much just fly for leisure.

MSPeconomist May 15, 2017 6:50 am

Originally Posted by NoleATL (Post 28313204)
We are platinum because of the reserve card and have received a surprisingly high number of upgrades. Even on ATL to SFO & SAN. These upgrades and SC access have made the card VERY much worth it IMHO. We pretty much just fly for leisure.

Traveling during leisure times can make a big difference for upgrades.

davedimes May 15, 2017 9:11 am

DM flying through ATL to SFO regularly during both peak business and leisure patterns and it's been a long time since I've cleared to J. C+ almost always, but not J. I'm usually within 5 or so of the top when it closes, so I figure it is either class of ticket or RDU that keeps bumping me out. Regional flights into ATL upgrades are probably 80%.

john_y May 15, 2017 9:24 am

Agree with everything that has been said. I'm SLC based too. I would add that the day you travel also makes a big difference. As you would guess, Monday mornings and Friday's are tougher to get the upgrades, especially on those routes.

SkyTeam777 Sep 17, 2017 10:30 am

I know it varies about the routes people fly, but for those Diamonds that have switched from Plat card to Reserve...was there a notable difference in upgrade list positioning?

pvn Sep 17, 2017 10:37 am

There is literally no way to know. You could possibly assume every time you're the bubble boy that the reserve card would have made a difference but that's going to overestimate the effect.

SkyTeam777 Sep 17, 2017 11:23 am

Originally Posted by pvn (Post 28825900)
There is literally no way to know. You could possibly assume every time you're the bubble boy that the reserve card would have made a difference but that's going to overestimate the effect.

You're absolutely right, but for those that switched and were on the bubble anyway. They either saw a bump or didn't. Routes are a factor, for sure, but it's a point worth considering.