Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How many upgrades am I missing due to no delta reserve credit card?

Old May 14, 17, 9:52 am
Original Poster

I'm a platinum based in Salt Lake with most travel to SFO, CHicago and NYC. I've already re qualified for platinum for next year and may make diamond.

I've had zero upgrades to first this year and am often not even in the top five after they clear. Is this due to the reserve card benefit or just so many diamonds and sold first class seats? Any way to determine this?
Old May 14, 17, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by crazygrow View Post
I'm a platinum based in Salt Lake with most travel to SFO, CHicago and NYC. I've already re qualified for platinum for next year and may make diamond.

I've had zero upgrades to first this year and am often not even in the top five after they clear. Is this due to the reserve card benefit or just so many diamonds and sold first class seats? Any way to determine this?
I think it's the diamond count. It could also be the tickets you're buying -- upgrade order is determined by:
1 Medallion Status
2 Fare Class Groupings
3 Delta Reserve Credit Card Members
4 Delta Corporate Travelers
5 Card Members who earned the Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQD) Waiver in the current calendar year
6 Date and time of upgrade request
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...tml#firstclass

Plus you're at a mid-tier hub flying to tier-1 destinations. Upgrade space is going to be hard to come by, especially if you're on business traveler flights. I recently flew LAX-BOS and back and my (Tuesday morning) flight was an easy upgrade but the Friday night return I was 15th or something (also Platinum).
Old May 14, 17, 10:01 am

Programs: DL PM, DL SkClub LT, AA Gold, SPG Plat/LT Gold, IHG Plat, HH Diam, AS MVP
Platinum is the new Silver due to so many paid FC upgrades now. Even DM's have a dramatically reduced upgrade %.

Don't expect much difference with an AmEx Reserve as a Plat.
Old May 14, 17, 10:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you often find yourself at the top of the list after upgrades have been cleared and all FC seats given out, so that you're the first person on the upgrade list to fail to have the upgrade confirmed, a Reserve card might help. Otherwise it will probably just move you up from #15 to #14 on some flights.

It's only a tiebreaker.
Old May 14, 17, 10:37 am

Programs: DL PM, DL SkClub LT, AA Gold, SPG Plat/LT Gold, IHG Plat, HH Diam, AS MVP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
If you often find yourself at the top of the list after upgrades have been cleared ...... a Reserve card might help.
OP stated he/she is *NOT* often at the top of the list. Reserve card would be a waste of $$$ unless he/she values SC access.
Old May 14, 17, 11:20 am

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by hockeystl View Post
OP stated he/she is *NOT* often at the top of the list. Reserve card would be a waste of $$$ unless he/she values SC access.
Or if the MQMs get OP to DM.
Old May 14, 17, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE

SLC is a tough airport for UGs even if you're DM, especially w/ the popular routes you indicate you fly on. I doubt that credit card will help you much on the UG front... the MQMs that come w/ spend might help you get to DM though.
Old May 14, 17, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I concur that if you are often not even in the top 5, the Reserve card won't make a lick of difference, as it's only a tiebreaker after status and fare class. If you find yourself consistently on the bubble, then you may want to consider it.
Old May 15, 17, 6:10 am

We are platinum because of the reserve card and have received a surprisingly high number of upgrades. Even on ATL to SFO & SAN. These upgrades and SC access have made the card VERY much worth it IMHO. We pretty much just fly for leisure.
Old May 15, 17, 6:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by NoleATL View Post
We are platinum because of the reserve card and have received a surprisingly high number of upgrades. Even on ATL to SFO & SAN. These upgrades and SC access have made the card VERY much worth it IMHO. We pretty much just fly for leisure.
Traveling during leisure times can make a big difference for upgrades.
Old May 15, 17, 9:11 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Plat, HH
DM flying through ATL to SFO regularly during both peak business and leisure patterns and it's been a long time since I've cleared to J. C+ almost always, but not J. I'm usually within 5 or so of the top when it closes, so I figure it is either class of ticket or RDU that keeps bumping me out. Regional flights into ATL upgrades are probably 80%.
Old May 15, 17, 9:24 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond
Agree with everything that has been said. I'm SLC based too. I would add that the day you travel also makes a big difference. As you would guess, Monday mornings and Friday's are tougher to get the upgrades, especially on those routes.
Old Sep 17, 17, 10:30 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Plat, AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat Prem
I know it varies about the routes people fly, but for those Diamonds that have switched from Plat card to Reserve...was there a notable difference in upgrade list positioning?
Old Sep 17, 17, 10:37 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
There is literally no way to know. You could possibly assume every time you're the bubble boy that the reserve card would have made a difference but that's going to overestimate the effect.
Old Sep 17, 17, 11:23 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Plat, AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat Prem
Originally Posted by pvn View Post
There is literally no way to know. You could possibly assume every time you're the bubble boy that the reserve card would have made a difference but that's going to overestimate the effect.
You're absolutely right, but for those that switched and were on the bubble anyway. They either saw a bump or didn't. Routes are a factor, for sure, but it's a point worth considering.

Search this Thread