Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to expand Airbus A321-200 aircraft order; defer 10 A350 deliveries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to expand Airbus A321-200 aircraft order; defer 10 A350 deliveries

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2017, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Keith2004
I don't think I have ever seen a A321 board from L2
No, only 1L boarding door. There is no 2L boarding door, but it just a small door.
Old May 12, 2017, 1:42 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Erm, door 1 & 2 on a regular A321 are full fledged doors that are usually used for boarding everywhere. Lufthansa always boards thru door 2. Maybe DL is not so confident of their staff
Old May 12, 2017, 5:48 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton, Hertz
Originally Posted by KKinLA
It cracks me up when people hate on the 739 based an a very small difference in seat width. I flew 321/739 back to back on same day recently and couldn't tell the difference.

I am like the other 99.999999% of the population that would not go out of their way to book one over the other.
you have a surprising lack of appreciation for details.
Old May 12, 2017, 6:15 am

Programs: DL PM MM, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I'm a boing guy through and through, but I will say this, the A321 really has a noticeable seat width advantage and is a better plane from a passenger perspective. Also nice to have the mid cabin lav instead of the very poor layout of the 739. Only thing the 739 has over the A321 is that some of the 739s have the bigger bins to place bags on their sides.
Old May 12, 2017, 8:05 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
I've only flown 1 A321 flight so far (MKE>ATL in F) and I loved it. But I did hear the FA make an announcement about bag placement issues. I don't understand it because it was announced as having 60% more room. Did they miscalculate or are people not putting the bags in properly? Would seem to me to be an epic failure of load testing if they are designed improperly.
Old May 12, 2017, 8:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Longboater
I think the placement of the engine that would be in extremely close proximity to the jetbridge is why door one is used. Its why every A321 airline uses door one.
This sounds like a major design flaw.
Old May 12, 2017, 8:27 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Erm, door 1 & 2 on a regular A321 are full fledged doors that are usually used for boarding everywhere. Lufthansa always boards thru door 2. Maybe DL is not so confident of their staff
I cannot find any evidence that Lufthansa uses L2, but there are tons of pics of them using L1.

and a bonus youtube:
Old May 12, 2017, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by pvn
I cannot find any evidence that Lufthansa uses L2, but there are tons of pics of them using L1.
They tried it a few times. Doesn't seem like it panned out well, so it's a rarity.
Old May 12, 2017, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Longboater
I think the placement of the engine that would be in extremely close proximity to the jetbridge is why door one is used. Its why every A321 airline uses door one.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This sounds like a major design flaw.
this sounds like major hyperbole

the location of the #2 door relative to the location of the engine is in no way a "flaw"; it doesn't impact airworthiness or safety of flight at all ... it only limits ground handling operations (and therefore, to some extent, passenger convenience) in terms of where a jetway can be used (and in that respect I fully agree that it was a less-than-ideal design decision)
Old May 12, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: Status? What's status?
Originally Posted by bergamini
I've only flown 1 A321 flight so far (MKE>ATL in F) and I loved it. But I did hear the FA make an announcement about bag placement issues. I don't understand it because it was announced as having 60% more room. Did they miscalculate or are people not putting the bags in properly? Would seem to me to be an epic failure of load testing if they are designed improperly.
Epic failure would be one way to put it. I have a roller that for reference fits just fine wheels first on the 3-seat site of an md-88/90 and on it's side on the 752, A319, and A320 with the retrofit bins, but on the A321, a brand new plane, if stored on it's side the bin won't close. I flew on N301DN, first A321 for DL, in June of last year and it had placards in the bins instructing to put rollers on their side, but the FAs had to make an announcement to ignore them because they don't actually fit that way. The placards had been removed when I flew on that same aircraft a month later.
Old May 12, 2017, 12:03 pm

Your third image shows an A321 at a boarding gate with jetbridge for L1 and L2
junglematt likes this.
Old May 12, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
With this new ban on laptops or tablets starting on trans-Atlantic flights, the demand for international travel will drop. That's one good reason to delay taking the 350s.
Old May 12, 2017, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
With this new ban on laptops or tablets starting on trans-Atlantic flights, the demand for international travel will drop. That's one good reason to delay taking the 350s.
Well for one, I know I'll sleep much sounder knowing that someone can't use their laptop coming from Europe or the Middle East...but they can use them on they way there...because apparently no one could figure out how to fly here with a bad one, and then do their damage on the way back to Europe/ME....wait...I think I've said to much
Old May 12, 2017, 1:12 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by nystateofmind
Your third image shows an A321 at a boarding gate with jetbridge for L1 and L2
Wow, it does! I don't think I've ever seen any narrowbody get a two-jetbridge treatment.

Well, there ya go. But still, I think it's clear that "LH always uses L2" is pretty inaccurate.
Old May 12, 2017, 1:30 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I don't have to crawl the interweb for pictures, I fly LH ex MUC every second week and like to look at planes outside the windows. But to each their own

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.