Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Million Miler benefits vs Annual Medallion Benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Million Miler benefits vs Annual Medallion Benefits

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond (MM), Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
You should be given gold status after reaching 1 million miles
AYFKM? DMs already don't get upgraded on Mondays and you want every MM running around out there to be Gold?
Old Sep 4, 2017, 12:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bonoman
AYFKM? DMs already don't get upgraded on Mondays and you want every MM running around out there to be Gold?
I'm not sure what your concern is. If you are diamond you will be upgraded over a gold. Or just do like me and purchase GAP fares and secure your F seat.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 12:43 pm

If you buy in under 3 days, Golds would already be upgraded.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 12:44 pm
Suspended

If you buy in under 3 days, Golds would already be upgraded.
How often does that really happen though? Most upgrades don't clear until the gate these days.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
How often does that really happen though? Most upgrades don't clear until the gate these days.
Enough that we don't need to make 1MM Gold.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Enough that we don't need to make 1MM Gold.
Well I've only had one flight this year where F was sold out and I couldn't buy a ticket. Should I be mad that Delta might have upgraded a diamond that prevented me from paying for an F seat? If Delta would just always wait to clear all upgrades at the gate it would be a better system. I don't have a problem with upgrades but why not waituntil you know you can't sell that seat?
Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
I don't agree

It's the balance sheet of today that justifies loyalty programs. Looking to the future is nice but it's only pie in the sky.

Delta like any other program needs very large balances of 10-20k mileage per year travelers as well as their current level of 100K + travelers. Getttting and keeping the many millions of 10-20k yearly travelers clearly helps them plan their business on a yearly basis (both in schedules and seat costs per mile).

If there were no enticement for this type of traveler than the business model would be far less predictable in its ups and downs. Hence the carrot that Delta and others offer to maintain the bed-rock 10-20k traveler
I agree that DL depends on lots and lots of pax who do not travel enough in a single year to earn "normal" status. But MMers are a ridiculously small portion of that population, so benefits/changes to the MM program have a negligible effect on the behavior of 10k-20k travelers en masse. These are folks who might take a trip once every couple months or so at most.

Pricing, routes, scheduling, and product (roughly in that order IMO) are the factors that drive those folks.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 7:34 am

Location: Just relocated to Phoenix, so I guess that does it for Delta for me
Programs: DL "Annual" GM 2MM, AA lifetime Gold 1MM, Hilton Gold, Hertz President's Club
Many years ago I was in the LAX SC readying for a flight to ATL which was to take me over the 1MM threshold. I got an upgrade at the SC desk and when I mentioned this milestone the guy looked at my record and then congratulated me. I never really heard from Delta officially other than to receive my "gift", which at that time was a Hartmann luggage tag. Having "annual' F0 didn't mean anything to me since I was flying enough to make at least PM each year. I realized I was getting older and so I endeavored to do whatever was necessary to make 2MM, since that was the one with the most tangible benefits. I finally achieved that milestone a couple of years ago, and now am able to appreciate "annual" GM and Sky Priority. Semi-retiring this year I have only had five flights so far, and it's very nice to get that benefit and get on the plane while there's still overhead space. I now make approximately 80% of my miles from my Delta Amex and my corporate Amex vs. BIS. Being recognized on every flight for my status? I can live without it.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Therewith lies the problem. I am shy of 3MM, which other that a trinket will be a non-event. If there was a tangible benefit for 3MM, it would make the journey to 4MM worth it. However with them having dropped service to my city, and my overall treatment by DL, it is just not worth it.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 8:33 am

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
I made 2MM while flying in EC ATL-BRU. After dinner, the FAs came to us with a plate of chocolate covered strawberries and 2 glasses of sparkling wine as well as a note from the Captain.
Earlier, while in the SC, I had asked the front desk agents how booked the flight was as I thought it would be great if we got an OpUp on my 2MM flight. I imagine they notified the gate who did the same with the flight crew. A very nice gesture IMO.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:50 pm

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by audidudi
What happened to the SEA>LAX part, or did you finish the trip at SEA?
My morning flight was LAX-SEA. My return was originally SEA-LAX, but that was November 1, 2013, the day of the LAX shooting. I thought I would take advantage of the mess at LAX by routing through JFK.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
So I hit 2.5 MM on a flight to SNA earlier this week. Not an official level, but certainly a milestone to me; as we get older these milestones become harder to rack up!

It reminded me again to follow up on the 2MM gift that I never received. At the time I hit 2MM, there was some kind of technical glitch in the system that would not allow me to log in order my 2MM gift. I reached out to someone at HQ and they assured me that a) it was a technica problem with their site, b) here was NO deadline on selecting the gift but that they could not over-ride the system so a Skymiles coordinator would send me a catalog and to order through her. Received the catalog .pdf but no response when I tried to redeem. Have tried to follow up every year since then... and hitting the 2.5 MM mark reminded me.

Alas, this milestone was "recognized" today by the Skymiles desk lecturing me that the gift link is only valid for 6 month and if I wanted the gift I should have redeemed it sooner.

Thanks for making me feel special, Delta....you do so many things so right, but today was not a shining example...
Old Sep 20, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pbjag
So I hit 2.5 MM on a flight to SNA earlier this week. Not an official level, but certainly a milestone to me; as we get older these milestones become harder to rack up!

It reminded me again to follow up on the 2MM gift that I never received. At the time I hit 2MM, there was some kind of technical glitch in the system that would not allow me to log in order my 2MM gift. I reached out to someone at HQ and they assured me that a) it was a technica problem with their site, b) here was NO deadline on selecting the gift but that they could not over-ride the system so a Skymiles coordinator would send me a catalog and to order through her. Received the catalog .pdf but no response when I tried to redeem. Have tried to follow up every year since then... and hitting the 2.5 MM mark reminded me.

Alas, this milestone was "recognized" today by the Skymiles desk lecturing me that the gift link is only valid for 6 month and if I wanted the gift I should have redeemed it sooner.

Thanks for making me feel special, Delta....you do so many things so right, but today was not a shining example...
That’s pretty lame. It seems like a gentle reminder that you did make a selection in that timeframe - but they failed to respond or ship it - might help get things back on track...
Old Jun 26, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Had my 2MM flight (or flights) yesterday. I was #1 of 44 for zero seats so I waited and was the last to board. I'm a little experienced at this now so I know YBYL. At last call, I went up to the desk and told them I was #1 and asked if 1st had BOARDED full. Of course I get the standard response that first had CHECKED-IN full, but that's not what I asked. After a quick clarification, I began the walk of shame towards the door. Then I heard someone say "Oh, Mr. CO-PLAT is here". There was a 3rd gate agent waiting for me and she asked if I knew what today was. I'm on FlyerTalk so, of course I knew. She had a bottle of wine and the standard "Millions of Miles" thank you card for me. It had a hand-written note on the back from the PDX team. She followed me down the jetway and onto the plane where she notified the NYC-based flight attendants of the milestone. She then got on the PA and announced it to the whole airplane.

I appreciated the gesture.

Unfortunately, that's not the only thing that made yesterday memorable. PDX - ATL flight was eventually (after circling in a holding pattern) diverted to BHM. De-planed, re-boarded, struck by lightning while sitting at gate with door open, de-planed again, re-boarded again, sat 2 more hours before finally heading to ATL. Missed my ATL connection and my re-booked flight was delayed 7 times before finally leaving ATL. Made it to MSN around 2 AM.
NOLAnwGOLD and Seabilly like this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:47 pm

That sounds like they gave you both a bottle of wine and a good opportunity to drink it!
Seabilly likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.