FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   KLM GUC Questions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1813307-klm-guc-questions.html)

hoyt Jan 6, 2017 10:38 am

KLM GUC Questions

I've read through a lot of recent threads here on using GUCs on KLM but can't find the answers to a few questions:

1) KLM flight shows Z0, so I know it won't clear today. Will the GUC change to an airport upgrade list? The flight is AMS-SFO.

2) Do I need to book the flight under a DL or KLM flight number? I'm looking to piece together a 4 leg itinerary, SFO-JFK-DUB-AMS-SFO. Legs 1 & 2 are DL numbers and DL operated. Leg 3 is KLM numbered and KLM operated. Leg 4 is KLM operated, but I can currently book as either KLM or DL flight numbers. I read that if there is KLM Z showing on EF, then DL will reissue as a KLM number, so I thought perhaps I'd do that, but then wondered if it would force a non-006 ticket stock. Wanted to be sure before I hit the OK button and could not find a distinction in the rules.

Thanks for any insight!

laxrdu Jan 6, 2017 11:14 am

1) KLM doesn't have an airport upgrade list (or if they do, you can't get on it with a GUC.) If your GUC doesn't clear in advance, you have to go to the lounge and ask one of the agents to upgrade you with your GUC. This can be easy or hard, depending on the agent. Keep in mind that they also offer open seats for cash/miles upgrades starting at T-30 or T-24, so it can be a race. Bring the GUC number and redemption code with you, because the KLM agent can't look it up like a DL agent can.

2) Not sure since I have only ever done it with DL flight numbers, but I believe the eligible fare codes may be more restrictive when trying to upgrade on a KLM ticket. Someone else will surely know better than me, though.

safigan Jan 6, 2017 11:28 am

I used a GUC AMS-ATL. I saw Z>0 and called the agent. At first she told me there were no UGs available. I'll skip the rest and just get to the point: She had to reissue the ticket on KLM ticket stock in order to process the GUC.

Getting the UG at the airport is a different animal, so I'll defer to others about that.

berliner5000 Jan 6, 2017 11:30 am

When I used a GUC on a KLM operated, DL ticketed and co-shared flight, the CSR had to re-issue the tickets with KL flight numbers. KL had upgrade space and I cleared.

I've never tried at the airport.

hoyt Jan 6, 2017 11:41 am

Thanks! I went ahead and purchased it as a DL flight #, and will setup an EF alert on the Z class with the KLM flight number. I have about 2 months, so hopefully something changes there so I don't have to do a day-of-dance.

If all else fails, I should have 2 hours in AMS to go to the lounge and beg.

dilbertsdaddy Jan 6, 2017 12:11 pm

BTW there are also some weird shenanigans involving class of service - they have 2 different buckets of upgrades and for one of the them you need a higher class of service. The last time I tried it was almost as cheap to buy J.

Xeno Jan 6, 2017 1:10 pm

I used GUCs to ug ORD-AMS-CPT and back. I bought the ticket over the phone with DL but we had to switch to KLM flight numbers to apply the upgrades that cleared at booking.

EZEDoesIt Jan 6, 2017 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy (Post 27715854)
BTW there are also some weird shenanigans involving class of service - they have 2 different buckets of upgrades and for one of the them you need a higher class of service. The last time I tried it was almost as cheap to buy J.

I ran into the same problem. Two agents told me that for the Z upgrade you have to buy Y. :eek:

securesmaskfirst Jan 6, 2017 7:03 pm

I had the same thing happen. I am flying from MSN>DTW>AMS>DOH.
I could only apply the GUC when they switched from a delta codeshare to a KLM flight number to get the upgrade. Does anyone know if my bags will go all the way to DOH or will I have to pick them up in AMS and put them through the security screener in AMS?

flyerCO Jan 6, 2017 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by securesmaskfirst (Post 27717856)
I had the same thing happen. I am flying from MSN>DTW>AMS>DOH.
I could only apply the GUC when they switched from a delta codeshare to a KLM flight number to get the upgrade. Does anyone know if my bags will go all the way to DOH or will I have to pick them up in AMS and put them through the security screener in AMS?

Of course bags go through. The flight number has no bearing. As long as it's one ticket DL will even interline with non partners.

hoyt Jan 8, 2017 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy (Post 27715854)

Quick update, just got an EF notification that the flight was Z1, called in and spoke with the most fantastic agent I've ever encountered on the phone. She didn't say anything about it, but by looking at my record now, it's listing a KLM flight number.

She did check my purchased fare class, L, and said that was fine. I can't imagine being much cheaper than an L and being able to upgrade to J.

EZEDoesIt Jan 8, 2017 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by hoyt (Post 27727890)
I can't imagine being much cheaper than an L and being able to upgrade to J.

GUCs are allowed on anything except E.

hoyt Jan 8, 2017 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt (Post 27727983)
GUCs are allowed on anything except E.

That was my understanding as well, but since you and dilbertsdaddy mentioned needing to buy a higher fare class, I wanted to provide clarity from my recent experience.

nichojo Jan 8, 2017 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by hoyt (Post 27727890)
Quick update, just got an EF notification that the flight was Z1, called in and spoke with the most fantastic agent I've ever encountered on the phone. She didn't say anything about it, but by looking at my record now, it's listing a KLM flight number.

She did check my purchased fare class, L, and said that was fine. I can't imagine being much cheaper than an L and being able to upgrade to J.

I wish this worked for DL operated flights ;)

TetonSig Nov 6, 2017 12:14 pm

Just wanted to share my experience using GUCs on KLM flights twice in the past year. Both flights I booked as Delta marketed. Earlier this year I called about a month prior to departure after seeing Z5 on expertflyer. No problem at all. Took about 15 minutes to reissue, good to go.

Last week I called for a flight two months from now seeing Z9 on expertflyer. Took 3 calls, the first two the agents were confused about the rules (Delta marketed means any class is upgradable versus YBM only on KLM, as well as O versus Z availability being needed). While they didn’t disagree outright with me when I politely quoted the correct rules, they wouldn’t budge. So I politely HUACA. Third call went through no problem very similar to the first GUC early in the year.