FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   How early can you drop bags for a domestic flight? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1803504-how-early-can-you-drop-bags-domestic-flight.html)

SDQBound Sep 27, 2021 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by SchindHaughton (Post 33599971)
I agree with the above on the early bag drop- that shouldn’t be a problem. Your bag is likely to be sent to JFK on an earlier flight, however, and you would pick up at the baggage service office at JFK in that case (if your bag isn’t through-checked).

However, I disagree with the above poster on the through-check, as you mentioned that you booked these segments on separate tickets. I’m almost certain that your bag would be delivered to claim at JFK by default. While I’ve never tried this, it certainly couldn’t hurt to explain the situation to the agent on check-in and see if it’s possible to do a through-check. However, I wouldn’t expect them to do this. If you have a free bag allowance on both flights, especially if you’re a Medallion member, your chances might be a bit higher.

Checking the bag all the way to the final destination is not an issue as long as all flights are on DL/Skyteam. Done it many times, just need the PNR of the second flight. My main worry is because I had a less than 12 hour connection at JFK and planned to go to the city but the agent at SDQ did not have a way to check the bag all the way to the final destination (CDG) even if this was in one single ticket. Baggage services at JFK were kind enough to keep the bags in the stranded baggage area and we just picked them up a few hours later and checked them to CDG.

flyerCO Sep 27, 2021 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by SchindHaughton (Post 33599971)
I agree with the above on the early bag drop- that shouldn’t be a problem. Your bag is likely to be sent to JFK on an earlier flight, however, and you would pick up at the baggage service office at JFK in that case (if your bag isn’t through-checked).

However, I disagree with the above poster on the through-check, as you mentioned that you booked these segments on separate tickets. I’m almost certain that your bag would be delivered to claim at JFK by default. While I’ve never tried this, it certainly couldn’t hurt to explain the situation to the agent on check-in and see if it’s possible to do a through-check. However, I wouldn’t expect them to do this. If you have a free bag allowance on both flights, especially if you’re a Medallion member, your chances might be a bit higher.

DL by policy will through across separate tickets as long as involves DL, AF, KL, KE, MU, AZ (well till Oct 14th), AM, WS, VS, and VA.

If you get agent who knows how/is willing they can do it for any airline they have interline baggage agreements with. However only the partners list above are who they will always check through to by policy. Being a medallion increase chance when involve airline not on above list. Ie DL at AUS/SAT will regularly through check bags to AY at JFK/LAX for me.

SchindHaughton Sep 27, 2021 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 33600379)
DL by policy will through across separate tickets as long as involves DL, AF, KL, KE, MU, AZ (well till Oct 14th), AM, WS, VS, and VA.

If you get agent who knows how/is willing they can do it for any airline they have interline baggage agreements with. However only the partners list above are who they will always check through to by policy. Being a medallion increase chance when involve airline not on above list. Ie DL at AUS/SAT will regularly through check bags to AY at JFK/LAX for me.

Thanks for the info! Consider me mistaken then 😊

SUPERTRAVEL Jun 9, 2022 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by anc-ord772 (Post 31173120)
Data point. Checked bag in BOS at 11am for 6pm flight. Agent didn’t skip a beat.

I've got an 8:45pm BOS-MCO flight on the 4th of July but have to return my rental car by 11am to avoid another day's charge. Plan to go to a Red Sox day game that day and would probably get to the Delta counter around Noon. You think they'd accept my luggage that early (9 hours)

flyerCO Jun 11, 2022 7:01 am

Originally Posted by SUPERTRAVEL (Post 34322207)
I've got an 8:45pm BOS-MCO flight on the 4th of July but have to return my rental car by 11am to avoid another day's charge. Plan to go to a Red Sox day game that day and would probably get to the Delta counter around Noon. You think they'd accept my luggage that early (9 hours)

Shouldn't be a problem. With a few exceptions, domestically can drop anytime same day.

SUPERTRAVEL Jul 7, 2022 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by SUPERTRAVEL (Post 34322207)

For anyone wondering about this issue or who provided a response, please be advised that I checked 2 bags at BOS around 10AM this past Monday morning for my 8:45PM flight. The counter agent did not bat an eye and said nothing. I was able to attend the Red Sox game at Fenway before returning to the airport that evening.

Upon arrival at MCO I did look around the baggage office to see if perhaps the bags were sent on an earlier flight. An employee there scanned my baggage receipts and confirmed the bags would be arriving on the same flight I arrived on and indeed they were. The only oddity was the TSA slip in one of the suitcases indicating they had conducted one of their random searches. Or perhaps not random since the check-in was so early.

Thanks!!

Julio Fernandez Oct 3, 2022 7:12 pm

Vegas said 6 hours (Delta)

I have an early flight with lots of luggage and a dog. So I made it to the airport 15 hours before my flight to check in. Delta desk try to check me in but said it had to be done less than six hours, but the desk would not be opens until 3:30 am (2.5 hrs before my 6:00 am international flight)

jrl767 Oct 3, 2022 7:17 pm

JFK accepted bags ~1045 for a 1545 departure to SEA on Sun 2 Oct (PM flying in D1, so I can’t necessarily extrapolate to other passenger demographics)

flyerCO Oct 4, 2022 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Julio Fernandez (Post 34652482)
I have an early flight with lots of luggage and a dog. So I made it to the airport 15 hours before my flight to check in. Delta desk try to check me in but said it had to be done less than six hours, but the desk would not be opens until 3:30 am (2.5 hrs before my 6:00 am international flight)

It does need be same day*. Which airport were you at?

*While there are after midnight redeyes (0000-0359) DL generally for most purposes treat them as part of the previous day. A 6am flight would most definitely not be.

I wish could do like HEL with AY. Drop night before.

uitailgater Oct 6, 2022 10:20 am

Last month my wife and I had a flight arriving MSP around 6pm, followed by a flight the next morning on a different ticket departing at 8am. Checking in for the first flight, the agent could not through-check the bags, supposedly since it was more than a 12-hour layover. When we arrived at MSP that evening we collected our bags and went straight to check-in. The line was long so my wife tried the kiosk while I waited in line. She was able to get us checked in and print out luggage tags, and the agent accepted the bags with no issues. I'm not sure if already having the luggage tags helped, but the kiosk at least had no issues with printing them the night before and over 12 hours before departure.

flyerCO Oct 7, 2022 6:13 am

Originally Posted by uitailgater (Post 34659603)
Last month my wife and I had a flight arriving MSP around 6pm, followed by a flight the next morning on a different ticket departing at 8am. Checking in for the first flight, the agent could not through-check the bags, supposedly since it was more than a 12-hour layover. When we arrived at MSP that evening we collected our bags and went straight to check-in. The line was long so my wife tried the kiosk while I waited in line. She was able to get us checked in and print out luggage tags, and the agent accepted the bags with no issues. I'm not sure if already having the luggage tags helped, but the kiosk at least had no issues with printing them the night before and over 12 hours before departure.

If you get tag no issue. Issue is getting a tag printed.

trail_hiker Dec 5, 2022 7:39 pm

I am flying LAX-JFK on Friday evening and then Saturday evening JFK-RDU. The flights were booked as 2 one ways. The layover in NYC is 12 hours. Can I check a bag at LAX and have it go though to RDU?

yupenn Dec 16, 2022 11:04 am

JFK-SEA-Asia on F and DeltaOne cabin (both DL operated). layover 8 hr. same PNR

First try, Delta One JFK T4 agent say no check thru. pick up bag in SEA and recheck
Second try, recheck bag in SEA when landed. no luck. told to come back 5 hrs before departure time.

flyerCO Dec 16, 2022 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by yupenn (Post 34839695)
JFK-SEA-Asia on F and DeltaOne cabin (both DL operated). layover 8 hr. same PNR

First try, Delta One JFK T4 agent say no check thru. pick up bag in SEA and recheck
Second try, recheck bag in SEA when landed. no luck. told to come back 5 hrs before departure time.

Over 6 systems auto short checks. However under 12 you can ask they check through regardless.

yupenn Dec 18, 2022 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 34841080)
Over 6 systems auto short checks. However under 12 you can ask they check through regardless.

Denied check through when asking JFK T4 D1 agent (who initially thought we should go to sky priority counter not D1 counter lol...)