FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   How early can you drop bags for a domestic flight? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1803504-how-early-can-you-drop-bags-domestic-flight.html)

jrkmsp Nov 20, 2016 12:47 pm

How early can you drop bags for a domestic flight?

Does anyone know how much before a domestic flight one can drop bags with Delta's skycaps?

We're flying Wednesday and my toddler son is a giant transportation nerd, so I thought we'd take the train to MSP. But, I can't take his bag, my bag and a giant bag of Christmas presents, plus him and a car seat, on the train. So I was thinking I'd drive down early and skycap the bags. My wife will be with us with a car on the way home, so the return is easy.

Thanks for any help.

flyerCO Nov 20, 2016 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by jrkmsp (Post 27505798)
Does anyone know how much before a domestic flight one can drop bags with Delta's skycaps?

We're flying Wednesday and my toddler son is a giant transportation nerd, so I thought we'd take the train to MSP. But, I can't take his bag, my bag and a giant bag of Christmas presents, plus him and a car seat, on the train. So I was thinking I'd drive down early and skycap the bags. My wife will be with us with a car on the way home, so the return is easy.

Thanks for any help.

At a hub ive never had issues checking bags on same day if within 12hrs of flight. Non hubs can vary. Also dont tell them youre planning on leaving. Some agents have said theres a rule not to check if they know you're leaving.

jrkmsp Nov 20, 2016 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 27505829)
At a hub ive never had issues checking bags on same day if within 12hrs of flight. Non hubs can vary. Also dont tell them youre planning on leaving. Some agents have said theres a rule not to check if they know you're leaving.

Definitely not. Just a long trip to find parking. 😎

PHXflier Nov 20, 2016 6:44 pm

The official rule is no earlier than 4 hours prior to departure AFAIK.

flyerCO Nov 20, 2016 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by PHXflier (Post 27506991)

At non-hubs yes. This has more to do with storage/handling and personal being present, which isn't an issue at a hub. In fact it's likely to fly early before you, if you get it there early.

StayingHomeIsBetter Nov 20, 2016 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by PHXflier (Post 27506991)

I have been told 6 hours...

A call to DL would be a more reliable source of information that a FT thread.

flyerCO Nov 20, 2016 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter (Post 27507092)

A call will do nothing. If there's one thing with DL that's consistent, it's inconsistencies in answers. Also it does nothing if checkin agent refuses.

Six hours is when the system allows you to short check a bag. 12 is when you must short check. 4 hours is when the checking desk opens for a flight(DL agent, not contract). Hubs though are open and staffed by DL checkin agents all day. Thus why you can get away with it at hubs, but varies elsewhere.

enjoystravel Nov 22, 2016 9:50 pm

Was able to checkin today 6 hrs before flt without questions

I guess if 4 HR rule exists, it's not consistently applied.

CarmenOM Nov 22, 2016 11:18 pm

I've always heard 6 hours at MSP.

CKDGM Nov 26, 2016 1:04 am

Delta's "Checked Baggage" page:

When you arrive at the airport, you can drop off your checked baggage at the nearest baggage drop, marked with red "Baggage Drop" signage, or curbside check-in station (available within 6 hours of departure time). You may also check your bags at the airport kiosk, ticket counter, or curbside.
It's not 100% clear language (*sigh*), but I think that if they'll allow curbside at T-6h they should also be willing to allow it at the ticket/bag drop counter.

sspontak Nov 26, 2016 3:40 pm

In Tampa a month ago, I attempted to check in and check my bag with a Sky Cap 6 hours before my scheduled departure. The Sky Cap was not able to process the transaction. I had to check in and check my bag inside using the regular check in line. The transaction completed inside without a problem.

DLERT Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm

With the introduction of the radio chip bag tag this may also present an
early check-in problem of an undetermined nature i.e. where to store all
dem chipping bags to be boarded on the flights with the customers.

kthomas Nov 27, 2016 4:55 am

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter (Post 27507092)

I second the comment on the ... what's the respectful way to put this?

The most respectful way to put it, is that FT is quite often a faster and more accurate source of information, on a wide variety of topics, than any "call to Delta."

You can generally check-in and drop luggage same-day for any flight. This may be an issue at some non-hubs. YMM and will vary; there is no consistency in on-the-ground operational practices of this nature. But at MSP you should be fine.

CPMaverick Nov 27, 2016 5:01 am

Given that connections can be up to <24 hours, seems as if it is possible to check a bag that far in advance. So it is likely to be station dependent. They probably won't check bags if there are any gaps in staffing at non-hubs.

Personally I think it is a higher risk of lost or delayed baggage to early check, but can't provide hard evidence as such.

3Cforme Nov 27, 2016 6:04 am

Originally Posted by CPMaverick (Post 27531702)
Given that connections can be up to <24 hours, seems as if it is possible to check a bag that far in advance. So it is likely to be station dependent.

The 24-hour suggestion gets trashed in the international c of c. See a reference to short checking at >12 hours above.

Delta agents will cite published rules accurately at least as reliably as FlyerTalkers will attempt to find and read them. ;)

flyerCO Nov 27, 2016 7:45 am

Originally Posted by CPMaverick (Post 27531702)
Given that connections can be up to <24 hours, seems as if it is possible to check a bag that far in advance. So it is likely to be station dependent. They probably won't check bags if there are any gaps in staffing at non-hubs.

Personally I think it is a higher risk of lost or delayed baggage to early check, but can't provide hard evidence as such.

Really it's only same day. I'm not aware of anywhere that let's you check a bag at the airport the previous day. The exception being for redeyes right after midnight.

jrkmsp Nov 27, 2016 9:21 am

Just to report back: I checked my bags at the curb between 1230 and 100 for a 530 flight. No one batted an eye. The flight ended up being delayed until almost 7, and despite there being intervening flights, the bags flew with us. They were among the first bags off with the other SkyPriority bags. All in all, it was a great system I fully intend to utilize more when traveling with the family.

Stgermainparis Jul 20, 2017 3:45 pm

Flying OGG-LAX tonight at 10:20 PM. Can I check in bags at around 7 PM (3.5 hrs pre flight)?

NoleATL Jul 20, 2017 4:23 pm

I know this is a special situation but in FLL on the weekend (maybe Sunday only?), you can't check luggage earlier than 2 hours before flight time. Because of all those cruise passengers... 2 years ago anyway.

Stgermainparis Jul 20, 2017 7:58 pm

Thanks. I got in touch with DL and was told 6 hours before is ok.

joe_miami Feb 24, 2019 1:02 pm

I’ll be flying into MIA at around 2:00 am on a Wednesday and then flying out around 2:30 pm that same day on Delta. Has anyone tried checking their bag early at MIA lately? I know the official rule is either 4 hours or 6 hours, but I’d like to check the bag ASAP after arrival so I can get back airside for a quick lounge shower and/or leave the airport for a while without needing to haul around my bag. (I know not to tell the agent that I’m leaving the airport.)

Don’t believe I’ve flown Delta out of MIA in at least 10 years, so no idea how things work there. Thanks.

flyerCO Feb 24, 2019 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami (Post 30816685)
I’ll be flying into MIA at around 2:00 am on a Wednesday and then flying out around 2:30 pm that same day on Delta. Has anyone tried checking their bag early at MIA lately? I know the official rule is either 4 hours or 6 hours, but I’d like to check the bag ASAP after arrival so I can get back airside for a quick lounge shower and/or leave the airport for a while without needing to haul around my bag. (I know not to tell the agent that I’m leaving the airport.)

Don’t believe I’ve flown Delta out of MIA in at least 10 years, so no idea how things work there. Thanks.

There won't be any Delta checkin agents at that hour.

Who are you flying in on? If they interline with Delta then you could have them tag your bags to transfer to DL .

joe_miami Feb 24, 2019 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 30816782)
There won't be any Delta checkin agents at that hour.

Who are you flying in on? If they interline with Delta then you could have them tag your bags to transfer to DL .

I’m flying in on Copa, so no interline possibility. Any idea what time Delta’s counters open at MIA? Googling didn’t yield an answer. Thanks.

Duke787 Feb 24, 2019 3:14 pm

First flight of the day is MIA - ATL at 6am, SC opens at 5am. Would bet counters open around 4-430

flyerCO Feb 24, 2019 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami (Post 30816908)
I’m flying in on Copa, so no interline possibility. Any idea what time Delta’s counters open at MIA? Googling didn’t yield an answer. Thanks.

I looked it up, CM and DL interline. I would ask when checking in with CM. Worst they'll say, no. However it's is possible for them to do so, its a matter of if they're willing to actually do it.

joe_miami Feb 25, 2019 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 30817091)
I looked it up, CM and DL interline. I would ask when checking in with CM. Worst they'll say, no. However it's is possible for them to do so, its a matter of if they're willing to actually do it.

Interesting; thanks very much. I found the list; Copa has a huge list of non-partner interline agreements.

I neglected to mention that my Copa and Delta flights are on separate tickets. I know, from Delta’s site, that they’ll only interline on separate tickets to a short list of airlines, but I can’t find Copa’s two-ticket baggage interline policy. I’ll head to the Copa forum for that.

If anyone happens along and knows what time Delta’s counters open at MIA, please post. Thanks again.

flyerCO Feb 26, 2019 1:47 am

Originally Posted by joe_miami (Post 30821435)
Interesting; thanks very much. I found the list; Copa has a huge list of non-partner interline agreements.

I neglected to mention that my Copa and Delta flights are on separate tickets. I know, from Delta’s site, that they’ll only interline on separate tickets to a short list of airlines, but I can’t find Copa’s two-ticket baggage interline policy. I’ll head to the Copa forum for that.

If anyone happens along and knows what time Delta’s counters open at MIA, please post. Thanks again.

I figured they were separate. I know DL will even sometimes chrck through to those not on their list. However I have no idea about Copa policy on bags across tickets. I haven't flown them since NW and them were partners. However they do have a lengthy post on their website avout interline bags and it doesn't mention any restrictions.

TheHorta Feb 26, 2019 2:54 am

Just FYI, the whole point of interlining is because of separate itineraries. If they weren’t separate tix there’s no need to interline. All bags would be checked to destination automatically.

flyerCO Feb 26, 2019 2:59 am

Originally Posted by TheHorta (Post 30822679)
Just FYI, the whole point of interlining is because of separate itineraries. If they weren’t separate tix there’s no need to interline. All bags would be checked to destination automatically.

Airline ticketing and airline baggage agreements are two separate things. You could get a ticket with VA, CI, and AF flights on it. However you can't check baggage through as VA and AF have no baggage interline agreement.

joe_miami Mar 13, 2019 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami (Post 30821435)

Just for future reference, Delta's counter opens at 4:30 am at MIA.

joe_miami Apr 3, 2019 7:42 pm

Copa wouldn’t interline my bag to Delta, so I’m back to wondering how early I can check my bag at MIA. Delta’s counters open at 4:30 am and my flight is at 2:00 pm. Some here say 4 hours before, some say 6 hours, some say “same day.” Thanks.

flyerCO Apr 3, 2019 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami (Post 30962485)
Copa wouldn’t interline my bag to Delta, so I’m back to wondering how early I can check my bag at MIA. Delta’s counters open at 4:30 am and my flight is at 2:00 pm. Some here say 4 hours before, some say 6 hours, some say “same day.” Thanks.

DL policy for transfer of bags says they'll transfer between DL flights up to 12 hrs apart. Thus I'd figure they'd be willing at 430. It's really gonna be an agent and YMMV situation.

joe_miami Apr 4, 2019 10:18 am

Dropped it off at 5:00 am and the agent didn’t say anything. (Thanks for the reply.)

anc-ord772 Jun 5, 2019 9:23 am

Data point. Checked bag in BOS at 11am for 6pm flight. Agent didn’t skip a beat.

NAV165 Jan 16, 2020 2:22 pm

So I need to fly to DCA to attend a funeral at Arlington National Cemetery. I arrive DCA at noon, funeral is at 2:00pm so I'm thinking the metro should allow plenty of time? I then have to catch a flight to ATL/RSW at 6:00pm or 7:00pm. Any idea if can either check my bag to final destination - Fort Myers or claim it and recheck and then head to the funeral? Otherwise if I just don't claim it upon arrival would Delta Baggage Service just pull it off the belt and store it until someone comes looking for it?

Stocktc1 Jan 16, 2020 3:22 pm

time

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 27532022)
Really it's only same day. I'm not aware of anywhere that let's you check a bag at the airport the previous day. The exception being for redeyes right after midnight.

How would it work for 6am and 7am flights? Seems like the night before would give them better time.

Fishwiz Jan 17, 2020 6:21 am

Originally Posted by jrkmsp (Post 27505798)

Thanks for any help.

As of Nov 2019, I was limited to 7 hours. Since I live in a small town, there is only one flight per day to MSP, and to make it work for an overnight international flight out of ATL, I need to connect in MSP with a huge layover (8-10 hours). Delta calls anything over 7hours a "stopover" (not a layover) and requires me to claim my luggage when I arrive at MSP, then recheck the bags.... But I can't recheck them until 7 hours before my departing flight. I've experienced this several times in the past year at MSP.

SchindHaughton Feb 21, 2021 3:39 pm

Data point: Checked a bag at CLT today just under 6 hours before my flight (~1:15 for a 6:59 departure). Agent seemed a little surprised but accepted it without hesitation. According to the app, the bag was actually put on an earlier flight, which is something to note.

Often1 Feb 21, 2021 7:26 pm

That is common and, when there are earlier flights, something to consider if there is any chance that you will later choose not to fly.

BenA Feb 21, 2021 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by SchindHaughton (Post 33052471)
Data point: Checked a bag at CLT today just under 6 hours before my flight (~1:15 for a 6:59 departure). Agent seemed a little surprised but accepted it without hesitation. According to the app, the bag was actually put on an earlier flight, which is something to note.

I've noticed this does happen sometimes when I check in a bag unusually early. I presume the baggage handlers sort by destination rather than by flight number in some cases, and if a bag gets mixed into the wrong bin for an earlier flight to the same city, they probably have a policy of just sending it on its way.