FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Bye-bye, Regina (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1768351-bye-bye-regina.html)

fairviewroad May 26, 2016 9:55 am

Bye-bye, Regina

Delta drops another flight it inherited from NW.

MSP-YQR will end July 31.

http://leaderpost.com/business/local...he-end-of-july

jimrpa May 26, 2016 10:12 am

Rats - I thought this was going to be a celebration of getting rid of the current stupid safety video :D (no offense to the DL staff who were forced to participate in it)

3Cforme May 26, 2016 10:27 am

Those two Delta Connection CR9s represent the only U.S.-bound service shown from YQR today. Not just by U.S. carriers - by all carriers, WS and AC included. YQR doesn't even get an ORD flight out of the AC/UA transborder JV that dominates U.S.-Canada traffic.

Entangler May 26, 2016 10:32 am

...and Delta is still accepting bookings from YQR

Their flight schedules have not yet updated, so you can still book travel on Delta beyond the route cancellation date, and will find out afterwards that your itinerary is no longer available.

dk240t May 26, 2016 10:33 am

Damn, and I still haven't made it to Moosejaw.

rylan May 26, 2016 10:33 am

Looks like it'll just be serviced on that crappy WestJet airline.

Entangler May 26, 2016 10:42 am

The other two main airlines servicing YQR are AC and Westjet, but only for flights within Canada. Westjet will remain a DL partner, so itineraries will need to connect most probably through Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, or Toronto. Still a single connection to many US cities as it was through MSP, but schedules are "difficult",and complimentary upgrades & free luggage allowance etc for DL Medallions aren't honored by Westjet.

DL will continue to serve MSP from Saskatoon (YXE), a two hour drive north.

tigerstraveler99 May 26, 2016 10:56 am

Well glad I have already completed my one trip to Regina on DL earlier this year. My only positive experience that whole trip was getting on a DL plane to leave that place. I guess with Delta gone, it is 100% chance I will never go back to that not so exciting city.

pewpew May 26, 2016 11:03 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 26685227)
Those two Delta Connection CR9s represent the only U.S.-bound service shown from YQR today. Not just by U.S. carriers - by all carriers, WS and AC included. YQR doesn't even get an ORD flight out of the AC/UA transborder JV that dominates U.S.-Canada traffic.

What happens to preclearance -- does it shut down?

fairviewroad May 26, 2016 11:06 am

Originally Posted by dk240t (Post 26685262)
Damn, and I still haven't made it to Moosejaw.

Well, you can still fly Delta to Saskatoon. From there it's only an extra 150 km to Moose Jaw (as compared to Regina).

fairviewroad May 26, 2016 11:07 am

Originally Posted by pewpew (Post 26685414)

There is no pre-clearance in YQR. Passengers clear customs and immigration upon arrival in MSP, the same way as flights from Europe, Asia etc.

That being said, this will mean less work for the Canadian customs folks who process arriving int'l passengers. But they'll still handle the vacation charter flights from sun destinations, as well as the occasional Westjet flights from the US. But I'm guessing on the average off-season weekday, there may be no inbound international flights whatsoever after July 31.

ty97 May 26, 2016 11:07 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 26685227)

While you're right about today, I do think Westjet runs some seasonal warm weather destination routes to the US. Doesn't help business travelers though.

13thandseven May 26, 2016 11:09 am

Originally Posted by pewpew (Post 26685414)

YQR doesn't have preclearance. It makes for quite the experience pulling up in the CR9 alongside the TATL/TPAC widebodies to clear customs on arrival at MSP.

sdix May 26, 2016 12:21 pm

Well crap! UA pulled out now DL. For those that actually do need to get to Moosejaw (think hockey) from the West Coast it means a much more expense and less reward producing experience. Westjet and AC are all that's left.

mot29 May 26, 2016 1:08 pm

And I thought this was going to be about a retiring flight attendant.