FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Y Class Upgrades Discontinued April 30th (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1762544-y-class-upgrades-discontinued-april-30th.html)

rylan Apr 29, 2016 8:16 am

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler (Post 26552406)
If true then this is getting more confusing and opaque.

This, unfortunately

Ledfish Apr 29, 2016 8:20 am

Originally Posted by securesmaskfirst (Post 26550838)
New upgrade order rumor on Points miles and martinis... any ideas if this is true?
Full Y fares on May 1 no longer trumps medallion status...

http://pointsmilesandmartinis.boardi...572.1403225619

Nothing official from Delta on this, just rumor and speculation at this point.

Beckles Apr 29, 2016 8:30 am

The obvious answer to me for a few years has been DL should be prioritizing upgrades simply by elite level then MQD for a given segment. (This is not a change I would particularly benefit from, so it is not a self-serving suggestion).

Originally Posted by vgb2001 (Post 26547763)
I've known some companies that require employees to book a fully refundable / flexible ticket.

Originally Posted by cestmoi123 (Post 26548553)
Buying Y by default? That's got to be massively expensive! Given the spread between Y and cheapest non-refundable, you'd have to have the large majority of your trips changing or being cancelled between booking and travel for that to pay off...

Originally Posted by DLMiddleSeats (Post 26548904)
When I worked in Corporate Travel Agency Support it was not uncommon for me to see tickets that had been exchanged 3-4 times. The most I ever saw was 12(but that was a full F ticket)

It is very rare that the cheapest refundable ticket on a given route would be full fare Y. I used to buy refundable tickets for my work travel, and I don't believe it was ever a Y class ticket, there was always a less expensive, but still refundable, ticket available than full-fare Y.

You can try this on Delta.com, pick a route, search for the cheapest ticket, then go to Advanced Search and click "Refundable Flights Only" and chances are the refundable ticket will be a fare class less than Y.

Beckles Apr 29, 2016 8:33 am

I don't know why they don't just cut to the chase and prioritize by elite level then MQD for the segment and be done with it. You could throw in tie-breakers based on corporate travel partners, Reserve, etc.

davisew Apr 29, 2016 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Ledfish (Post 26552511)
Nothing official from Delta on this, just rumor and speculation at this point.

The rumor and speculation appears to be accurate:
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-upgrades.html

iflyalexair Apr 29, 2016 8:47 am

I wonder if the reason they are going to use the 25k in spending as a tie breaker indicates something more sinister in the future.... like your amex now doesn't earn you MQMs but rather a tie breaker in upgrade priority...

rucksack Apr 29, 2016 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Beckles (Post 26552562)
The obvious answer to me for a few years has been DL should be prioritizing upgrades simply by elite level then MQD for a given segment.

I don't think that's the right answer for a number of reasons:
  • Should connecting passengers whose fare is split between multiple segments automatically get worse treatment?
  • Many corporate accounts get reduced price fares. Going strictly by MQD would favor an individual over strategic corporate accounts.

Beckles Apr 29, 2016 8:59 am

Originally Posted by davisew (Post 26552635)
The rumor and speculation appears to be accurate:
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-upgrades.html

It appears the blogger linked in the original post had the language verbatim.

As a PM this seems like a positive change, the only negative to me is the prioritization of Corporate Travel Partners, but being a Reserve card holder I'm not sure that affects me. This is somewhat speculative, but I bet the order of those preferences matter, so Reserve > Corporate Travel Partner > $25k credit card spend > date and time of request.

MS02113 Apr 29, 2016 9:02 am

Originally Posted by LonghaulCommuter (Post 26551370)
Currently, Y is a way to get first class at a discount, even if you're not a Delta FF.

Not really. Y fares are typically much more expensive than discounted first class fares (i.e., P, A, and G).

rylan Apr 29, 2016 9:14 am

Originally Posted by iflyalexair (Post 26552659)
I wonder if the reason they are going to use the 25k in spending as a tie breaker indicates something more sinister in the future.... like your amex now doesn't earn you MQMs but rather a tie breaker in upgrade priority...

I doubt that, as it would be a significant reduction in benefits of the Amex card. A 4th order level tiebreak is not much of a benefit.

Beckles Apr 29, 2016 9:25 am

Originally Posted by ruckzac (Post 26552705)
I don't think that's the right answer for a number of reasons:
  • Should connecting passengers whose fare is split between multiple segments automatically get worse treatment?

If they are paying less for the segment, sure.

Originally Posted by ruckzac (Post 26552705)
  • Many corporate accounts get reduced price fares. Going strictly by MQD would favor an individual over strategic corporate accounts.

Why should an individual who pays more not be favored?

In my opinion the existing system is fatally flawed by the simple fact that higher fare class does not directly relate to a higher price paid, you can have someone on a flight on a K fare who paid less than another passenger on a T fare.

jdrtravel Apr 29, 2016 9:40 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 26551286)
How can you pool across different people or even use multiple credits for a single flight?

I don't think this is something that general customers can do. I have been able to blend me and my spouses with supervisor approval for a single new pnr. My guess is that this is something that was worked out in a corporate contract.

jrl767 Apr 29, 2016 10:59 am

Originally Posted by rylan (Post 26552798)
I doubt that, as it would be another significant reduction in benefits of the Amex card. A 4th order level tiebreak is not much of a benefit.

fixed that for you :/

jdrtravel Apr 29, 2016 11:33 am

There has been quite a bit of antidotal evidence that corporate contracts have increased upgrade likelihood for some time. I don't think this is new, I just think it is finally a published part of the program.

ATOBTTR Apr 29, 2016 11:37 am

Originally Posted by LonghaulCommuter (Post 26551370)
Everyone seems shocked that Y, by itself, is no longer at the top of the heap because it doesn't make business sense. On the contrary, this change incentivizes more frequent business flights on Delta or for companies to spring for 1st class if not. Currently, Y is a way to get first class at a discount, even if you're not a Delta FF. Delta is #1 in monetizing everything. I'm sure they figured out that this will help their bottom line.

A Full Y fare only gets you an upgrade if you are a Medallion on DL. On AA, at least last time I checked, which I admit has been a while, you can buy and then use the UG stickers to try to UG if you're on a non-status on Y fare.

On top of that, as mentioned above, you can usually find FC for cheaper than what a Full Y fare would cost.

Originally Posted by Pack1620 (Post 26552277)
As a gov't traveler I had that happen once in 3 years as a silver flyer. Every other time it was considered a Y ticket. I will say every ticket we used to fly was Y but the last couple of years we have started to see a lot of other fares.

Many routes now have the discounted "CA" fares, or capacity controlled. They don't have "last seat availability" but work mostly the same way as YCA fares (they are refundable and changeable without a penalty - you can get hit with a fare difference though if the capacity control fare is no longer available and only a YCA fare is available on the flight you're switching to). On DL, most of my capacity controlled fares have booked into K or L.

And if there's no GSA city-pair then it books random fare codes. I've seen everything from X to Q on DL when booking with the alternate options tab through DTS.

Originally Posted by DLMiddleSeats (Post 26547764)
With no inside info as to why the changes I being made my speculation is it has to do with a couple of things

1) Government fares YCA, cheap and that would cause an FO to jump a DM.
2) Shuttle Fares have a lot of insane discounts for some corporations in Y fares
3)trying to give a little something back to DM
4) There are some Shena that some travel agencies do to get upgrades for people that shouldn't have them...I will not go into more detail but I have seen it.

I wouldn't be shocked if this is a big one. I've traveled on some ridiculously expensive YCA fares but I've also traveled on some extremely cheap ones too - SEA-LAX is around $300-$350 round trip at the full YCA pair; around $175 or so round trip at the capacity controlled rate). And on DL, I've only missed one UG when on a YCA fare since finally moving to a market where there are actually a ton of contract rates (many routes I flew out of at my previous assignment didn't have GSA city-pair YCA fares).