FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   No C+ seats on the CRJ-200s? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1744151-no-c-seats-crj-200s.html)

MSPeconomist Feb 4, 2016 5:34 pm

No C+ seats on the CRJ-200s?

I'm trying to book some flights which unfortunately require a CRJ-200 connection. When I look at seat maps (which are pretty full), I only see preferred seats and regular white seats, no C+ at all.

It looks like preferred are located in the first two rows plus the exit row. Is this right?

Should I go for an exit row aisle or a window preferred seat in the second row? I usually like aisles.

BTW, this route unfortunately is operated by SkyWest. Travel is before May 16th.

Widgets Feb 4, 2016 5:38 pm

The exit row on CRJ-200s does not have any additional pitch. Also, exit row windows have a thinner seat cushion (I think). I recommend row 2 if you have a personal item.

Delta only sells Comfort+ on aircraft that have a premium cabin.

SJC ORD LDR Feb 4, 2016 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 26134922)
I'm trying to book some flights which unfortunately require a CRJ-200 connection. When I look at seat maps (which are pretty full), I only see preferred seats and regular white seats, no C+ at all.

It looks like preferred are located in the first two rows plus the exit row. Is this right?

Should I go for an exit row aisle or a window preferred seat in the second row? I usually like aisles.

BTW, this route unfortunately is operated by SkyWest. Travel is before May 16th.

There is no C+ on the 50 seaters. If you are wide in the shoulders, stay on the aisle. My least un-favorite seats are 1B/C and 8B/C. The exit row has an extra inch of legroom. The bulkhead allows you to stick your legs into the galley a little bit.

KDCAflyer Feb 4, 2016 6:25 pm

There are actually two versions of the CRJ out there: the CRJ-100 and the CRJ-200.

The CRJ-100 (generally operated by ExpressJet) does have extra legroom in the exit rows, and row one.

The CRJ-200 is the one without extra exit row legroom, and has a cramped row one (generally operated by Endeavor).

I've flown on both configurations, and there definitely is a difference. I would avoid the exit row on all CRJ models, since the seats are generally smaller and are rock hard.

javabytes Feb 4, 2016 6:41 pm

+1 on avoiding the exit row on CRJs. 1B/C are my preference, you can snake a foot around the bulkhead and that's about as good as it gets on these torture tubes.

jrl767 Feb 4, 2016 8:23 pm

imo the best (well, perhaps more accurately "only halfway good") feature of the CRJ is the "footrest" in the form of a maybe-3-inch-wide flat section of the lower part of the cabin structure where it joins the side wall below the windows

CRJ/ERJ have never had C+ seats

dc9flyernwa Feb 4, 2016 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by Widgets (Post 26134939)
The exit row on CRJ-200s does not have any additional pitch. Also, exit row windows have a thinner seat cushion (I think). I recommend row 2 if you have a personal item.

Actually exit rows are pitched at 32" with the rest of the plane at 31"

MSPeconomist Feb 4, 2016 8:51 pm

The seats in front of the exit row apparently can't recline, which is a plus.

How are the seat cushions on the exit row aisle seats?

TTT Feb 4, 2016 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 26135766)
The seats in front of the exit row apparently can't recline, which is a plus.

How are the seat cushions on the exit row aisle seats?

Poor. How long is the flight. For me, less than an hour I take the exit. More than an hour I find something else.

3furballs Feb 5, 2016 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Widgets (Post 26134939)

I would highly recommend against Row 2, most cramped seat I've sat in since making medallion. Actually I would recommend finding another route but sometimes that not an option.

mudpuppy Feb 5, 2016 9:47 am

Here's what I've settled on after a few years of taking at least one CR2 flight per week:

I usually take 2B or 2C. As these are preferred seats you're more likely to have a seat open next to you. 1B and 1C are fine if you don't need much overhead space, but the overheads above these seats are often taken by the FA and/or are blocked due to oxygen equipment in them.

I don't like window seats on the CR2s because (1) the windows are so low you have to scrunch down to see out of them--the line of sight is better from the aisle, and (2) the curvature of the fuselage intrudes on your foot space on the window side. Granted, the trade off in the aisle is you get bumped by every single person walking by.

If 2B or 2C aren't available I usually go back to the exit row, unless I have a short layover and want to be closer to the boarding door. I also try to check the seat assignments shortly before boarding and switch to any seat that would have an open seat next to it.

jrl767 Feb 5, 2016 9:55 am

Originally Posted by 3furballs (Post 26137492)
Actually I would recommend finding another route but sometimes that not an option.

or < gasp! > perhaps even another airline for this trip ... although the likelihood is that anyone else will also be flying CRJs or ERJs as well

dilbertsdaddy Feb 5, 2016 10:25 am

8B and 8C are the best bad seats on the airplane.

MEMLawGuy Feb 5, 2016 10:46 am

I am 6'5" and hate these planes with a passion. I will take a connecting flight over a non-stop or take worse flight schedules simply to avoid them. That said, sometimes they are, unfortunately, unavoidable.

I made the mistake of booking an exit row one time -- never again. No appreciable extra room and the seat is a rock.

I will only sit in row 1. No one can recline into you, and you can get off the plane first. I also find that the solid armrests (due to bulkhead) help corral your seat mate into his/her seat vs. them sometimes trying to raise the armrest and become a snuggle buddy.

The only better option, IMO, is if you check the seat map right before boarding and can move into a row (any other row) that has an open seat next to it. That allows you to raise the armrest and sort of sit sideways. That is the most comfortable option, but it's a rare find these days.

MSPeconomist Feb 5, 2016 11:03 am

I don't have much choice. DL uses CRJ-200s exclusively at my destination airport. AA or UA would mean longer trips with the last segment on a little airplane too. The alternative would be driving for several areas, probably in snow, which isn't fun either.

I'm expecting both of the RJ flights to be full. There isn't much chance of an empty seat. At this point, my only preferred seat choices are 2A or just about anything in the exit row. There aren't even many/any regular "white" seats available on the seat maps. I assume that there might be two seats in the first row being blocked for special needs passengers that I might be able to grab during OLCI or at the gate.