FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Why does Delta have your loyalty? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1718256-why-does-delta-have-your-loyalty.html)

FLYPWM Oct 22, 2015 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by JayTeaBee (Post 25601364)
This PWM flyer agrees! Although I don't have any issues with the flights in the Winter.... just a bit more opportunity for WX issues. Flying out of BOS is always an option but I always hate the drive (or bus ride) home. Also not a big Jet Blue or Southwest fan.

I'll also add the DL American Express products to my reasons, they help me attain at least PM based on current travel patterns with plenty of rollover to get a jump on the next years qualifications.

Finally, I like to travel in 1st class. I've had pretty decent luck out of PWM, and in general as a PM, with Delta. Although it's not the best value, I have been using Pay With Miles to book 1st as well for MQM bonus and 1st class lifestyle.

I was complaining about the "annual" drop in winter scheduling here at PWM not the WX. 3 to 1 ATL flights, 3 to 2 DTW flights, and the reappearance of the dreaded CRJ-200

nrgiii Oct 22, 2015 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by FLYPWM (Post 25601536)
I was complaining about the "annual" drop in winter scheduling here at PWM not the WX. 3 to 1 ATL flights, 3 to 2 DTW flights, and the reappearance of the dreaded CRJ-200

Reduced winter service? Just be glad you don't live in BGR.

ubernostrum Oct 23, 2015 4:33 am

As an AA EXP (former US CP) refugee matching into DL PM:

• Reliability.
  • Reliability.
  • Reliability.
  • Four-tier program as opposed to AA's three. I'm naturally an 80k-85k mile/year flyer, after two years in a row of stretching to hit CP/EXP for the merger I'm done and just want a program that will give me something decent in exchange for those extra 30-35k miles other than "here's some extra stickers, kid, come back when you're a real flyer".
  • More convenient hubs for the travel I'm likely to do over the next few years.
  • Did I mention reliability?
  • Because let me tell you about the multiple times AA has just dumped me overnight somewhere due to their entire network shutting down for a couple days any time there's a suspicion of the hint of a possibility of a drop or two of rain within a thousand miles of DFW.
  • Better Y+ availability given that I'm not going to be getting upgraded as much as when I was a US CP (or even US Platinum, back in the day, which was a pretty reliable upgrade).

northwest_buckeye Oct 23, 2015 6:09 am

Two words: hub captive.

mfFrom35K Oct 23, 2015 6:58 am

Why does Delta have your loyalty?

Non-stops on my most important route (i.e. BOS-MSP)
Great TATL low level awards from BOS
Easy connections from BOS thru JFK or LGA to anywhere (I know many of you think this is nuts but it has really worked well for me combined with SDC when weather could be a problem to avoid NYC or to switch to JFK when upgrades look good to LAX)
Rollover MQMs
50k MQMs via Amex to easily get to DM as I fly 80 to 90 and the extra MQM allow me to get to DM with rollover
Pretty good complimentary upgrades out of BOS as DM - 75%
Great irop recovery
DM phone service
On time performance
Etc Etc

Seabilly Oct 23, 2015 11:58 am

Keeping me loyal right now is probably because I have status with them and I'm trying to hit a million miles. I've been treated well by Delta and I pretty much understand how they do things and at least for now, have no desire to relearn how things work elsewhere especially when I only have 5 or so years before I retire.

mapsgl Oct 23, 2015 1:22 pm

DTW Based

Hub Captive
Service Recovery
"Unpublished" DM Benefits
I hate connections

Jump Oct 23, 2015 4:07 pm

Because they suck less than the other options.

yohanson Oct 23, 2015 8:47 pm

Upgrades

Detroiter Oct 23, 2015 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by mapsgl (Post 25606816)
DTW Based

Hub Captive

This. I don't mind connections for myself, but since my husband is in a wheelchair I'm not going to book connections for the two of us, so DL it is. We even put up with the annual Christmas downgauge from mainline to CR2s on DTW-PVD when we visit the in-laws.

gretchendz Oct 23, 2015 10:16 pm

Because

Whenever I fly another airline (I'm talking about you American and United, especially United) I appreciate Delta more. At least they communicate better when things are messed up.....

JayTeaBee Oct 24, 2015 5:40 am

Originally Posted by yohanson (Post 25608231)
Upgrades

This! (When it happens)

This morning I was 3/7 for 2 seats, boarded in C+ and shortly before takeoff the GA came on board & pulled me up to 1st after a no show. That's the first time I've been pulled up after boarding. This was out of PWM. Nice work Delta!

privacylawyer Oct 24, 2015 11:37 am

Customer service, customer service and customer service

I have been a UA 1K member since the merger between CO and UA and Pres Plat before that. I did a status challenge with DL three years ago to Plat out of curiosity.
We have both maintained Plat since and kept 1K with UA (I am also a million miler with them, approaching 2 million).
As UAs customer service gets worse, DL's kind, patient and skilled phone staff get even better.
I have decided to get off the 220,000 miles a yr rat race, and choose only one airline for most flying (longhaul/asia and coast flights mainly).
Here's how it lined up:
UA - almost 2mm, EWR is our home airport and a UA hub, I can gift matching status of mine to someone else each yr, AC is a star alliance partner for my cottage in Canada and I use miles to book those flights. regional upgrades upgrade for all classes and you can upgrade with miles and cash from any grade ticket.
DL - inconvenient airports (LGA/JFK), no non-stops from EWR (have to hop thru a DL hub), older equipment, a recent elite member, so no mmiler status. Upgrade buy-ups only from high cost grades.

Yet, we chose DL, hands down.
We moved all travel in 2015 to DL/KLM/AF.

The fact that priority seating and even aisle or window seats are near impossible to find for bookings within a 2 week period of departure on UA, and I can almost always get EC seats on DL had a big part in our decision also. So did the dollar spend full waiver on DL with threshold spending on DL amex cards, but waiver only to Plat on UA no matter how much you spend on their cards. (I fly on charity business often and book the least expensive fares.)

Confirmation that we made the right choice - my child was recently diagnosed with a serious medical condition. DL has bent over backwards to help me shift flights, cancel them (without penalty) and rebook as needed.
They have eached wished me luck and some offered to keep my child in their prayers. Total strangers who had my back.

UA refused to accommodate any changes. I took the hit, cancelled all UA flights, paid change fees and moved the flying to DL.

why am I loyal?

live5 Oct 26, 2015 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by injera (Post 25590836)
-Delta serves the most destinations out of NYC than any other airline.
-My most common route is LGA<-->ORD and the Delta shuttle is extremely convenient. I can leave my apartment 45 minutes before a flight and still arrive with time to spare.
-Delta's customer service is actually helpful and occassionally bends the rules for me as a GM (maybe AA/UA will do the same, i dont know)
-I am at about 50% this year with upgrades and 100% in EC. Certainly the novelty wears off after a while but its nice to have a little extra comfort.

I agree that i'd be earning more miles and have an easier time redeeming miles on AA but at the end of the day, convenience, reliability and comfort trump mileage earned

Edited to add: Yes, AA, UA and JetBlue have a pretty large NYC presence. That said, it's an hour to Newark for UA and an 45-60 minutes to JFK for B6. The AA terminal in LGA is awful while Delta at LGA is lovely.

I don't go to Chicago much but I flew LGA-ORD this weekend and while I'm generally loyal to Delta I flew UA because they offer mainline service there. It seems crazy to me that Delta doesn't. UA was significantly cheaper but the main reason I chose it is just because Delta's regional flights get canceled so frequently and it was absolutely vital that these flights took off (they did -- both on time surprisingly). Do you find that your LGA-ORD flights on Delta Shuttle get canceled frequently? I was checking daily on Flight Aware and was seeing, on average, 1 canceled every day.

CMK10 Oct 27, 2015 7:10 am

They have the most flights from RDU and almost every route they fly (with the exception of short flights like BWI, PHL and CVG) are on two class planes.

They are very price competitive to go along with the schedule convenience of having so many flights

I genuinely enjoy flying Delta. I find the service levels very good to excellent on board and on the ground, I get the occasional upgrade and can buy FCM at times and also, they have a lovely SC here at RDU. On that note, I also think the SCs are the best domestic lounges.