Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Upgrading to DL Reserve AMEX, effect on MQM boosts/certificate timing etc

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading to DL Reserve AMEX, effect on MQM boosts/certificate timing etc

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2015, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I have another thought - it seems according to iflyalexair that you can get the MQM bonus from the platinum card and then upgrade to delta reserve, but you can't get the reserve bonus and then downgrade.

But I imagine this issue only applies when upgrading or downgrading...what if it's a new account entirely?

For example, if I end up with delta reserve cards through the end of the year and still have them in January or February, as long as I cancel these cards and re-apply for the platinum card (which I haven't yet received the signing bonus for, so I'd prefer to get that) then it should work? The only downside is the credit pulls...no other downside I can think of, and this would get around that timing issue?
Old Jan 12, 2016, 5:42 am

global certificate worked!!

Just want to give a follow-up- made it to diamond with the Delta reserve card in October in time for a Dec Asian trip and was upgraded business class all the way 2 days before departure using the global certificate even with a lower fare category.😊👍
Old Mar 7, 2016, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by iflyalexair
Playing this game won't affect getting a companion certificate. It will however affect which one is given to you. (for Y or F).
Dredging up this thread because it's the one with seemingly the most detail from iflyalexair about exactly what happens with the spending bonuses.

That part is now clear, thanks!

However, another big reason I'm considering upgrading from Plat>Reserve is for the FC companion certificate.

Suppose my card anniversary is mid-April (and that's when I usually get my cert). It's currently March. I upgrade to Reserve today.

A month from now, will my companion cert be of the Plat or Reserve variety?

It seems apparent that I will still receive a certificate (e.g., my upgrade won't end up resetting my anniversary to March, and I'll have to wait another 12 months before getting any cert.), I'm just not sure which one.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 8:11 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by gooselee
Quote:
Dredging up this thread because it's the one with seemingly the most detail from iflyalexair about exactly what happens with the spending bonuses.

That part is now clear, thanks!

However, another big reason I'm considering upgrading from Plat>Reserve is for the FC companion certificate.

Suppose my card anniversary is mid-April (and that's when I usually get my cert). It's currently March. I upgrade to Reserve today.

It seems apparent that I will still receive a certificate (e.g., my upgrade won't end up resetting my anniversary to March, and I'll have to wait another 12 months before getting any cert.), I'm just not sure which one.
Glad my post could help! As a preliminary matter, as soon as you upgrade your account, you will have a reserve card with all of the benefits even though you won't physically have the card.

The timeline of the certificate is a little opaque but you 100% will receive one if you upgrade today. It is supposed to be automatically generated based on the card you hold at the time Amex decides to generate it. It generally happens a few days or weeks before your anniversary date. But in theory, it is a little present you receive for paying the annual fee. Since you have a mid-April date, you're probably still at least one billing cycle from your anniversary. I think if you were to upgrade today, you should get a FC companion certificate.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 8:14 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester

Last year when I realized I'd be traveling a lot more, I upgraded a long held but essentially inactive Delta... Options? AMEX (no annual fee, 1 mile per $2 spend, I let them talk me into it when I tried to cancel a previous card), that I basically never used, to a Reserve card. I did this in, let's say month X.

Near the beginning of month Y, 7-8 months later, around what I assume is the original card anniversary I received the "Your Companion Certificate is Ready" email; it expires at the end of month Y+1 a year later.

(And not that it matters but my Reserve card's expiration month is X, some years hence)

I suppose it could be different for Plat -> Reserve so take this FWIW
Old Mar 7, 2016, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Zorak
Last year when I realized I'd be traveling a lot more, I upgraded a long held but essentially inactive Delta... Options? AMEX (no annual fee, 1 mile per $2 spend, I let them talk me into it when I tried to cancel a previous card), that I basically never used, to a Reserve card. I did this in, let's say month X.

Near the beginning of month Y, 7-8 months later, around what I assume is the original card anniversary I received the "Your Companion Certificate is Ready" email; it expires at the end of month Y+1 a year later.

(And not that it matters but my Reserve card's expiration month is X, some years hence)

I suppose it could be different for Plat -> Reserve so take this FWIW
Thanks, this is a good data point showing that you don't need to hold the Reserve for a full year in order to get the FC cert.

Would of course still love to hear others who have gone Plat --> Reserve, since that leaves open the option of Amex issuing a cert, but just the Plat varietal.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 8:57 pm

Thanks, this is a good data point showing that you don't need to hold the Reserve for a full year in order to get the FC cert.

Would of course still love to hear others who have gone Plat --> Reserve, since that leaves open the option of Amex issuing a cert, but just the Plat varietal.
When I changed from Plat to Reserve in Oct, the companion certificate was still issued in feb 2016 which is my original renewal date for the Platinum card. Just an FYI re: global certificate expires a yr from the date its requested /issued. Since I travel overseas mostly every Dec, my mistake was in my excitement, I requested it as soon as I became a diamond in Nov instead of waiting til my Dec flight- the upgrade doesn't really happen until a few days before the flight anyways..so now I have 2 global certificates left with Nov 16 expiration.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by squiggle
When I changed from Plat to Reserve in Oct, the companion certificate was still issued in feb 2016 which is my original renewal date for the Platinum card. Just an FYI re: global certificate expires a yr from the date its requested /issued. Since I travel overseas mostly every Dec, my mistake was in my excitement, I requested it as soon as I became a diamond in Nov instead of waiting til my Dec flight- the upgrade doesn't really happen until a few days before the flight anyways..so now I have 2 global certificates left with Nov 16 expiration.
Was the Amex cert you got in Feb the coach-only version or the Reserve version valid for FC?

Also...just making sure we're talking about the same thing. I'm interested in the companion BOGO certificate issued as a benefit of the DL Amex cards, not RUC/GUCs (though your word of caution on those is absolutely valid).
Old Apr 11, 2016, 7:14 am

Was the Amex cert you got in Feb the coach-only version or the Reserve version valid for FC?

Also...just making sure we're talking about the same thing. I'm interested in the companion BOGO certificate issued as a benefit of the DL Amex cards, not RUC/GUCs (though your word of caution on those is absolutely valid).
Got the Reserve version valid for FC

Sorry - BOGO means ???
Old Apr 11, 2016, 7:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by squiggle
Got the Reserve version valid for FC

Sorry - BOGO means ???
BOGO = buy one get one
Old Apr 11, 2016, 12:22 pm

Programs: delta
I have learned the hard way not to trust what the American Express agents say over the phone. When I was considering the upgrade I was told that the miles cumulated. They did not. When I complained they admitted giving me the wrong advise but would do nothing about it. Even having it in writing is of no value. American Express will not stand behind what their agents say.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Leon in Minneapolis
I have learned the hard way not to trust what the American Express agents say over the phone. When I was considering the upgrade I was told that the miles cumulated. They did not. When I complained they admitted giving me the wrong advise but would do nothing about it. Even having it in writing is of no value. American Express will not stand behind what their agents say.
Ask them to refund the annual fee on the grounds of fraud/false advertising.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sethb
Or just downgrade back and they'll prorate the AF anyway.

I'm also not sure what "miles cumulated" means in this context...
Old Apr 11, 2016, 6:00 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by sethb
????

Really? Advertising?
Old Apr 11, 2016, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by bubbashow
????

Really? Advertising?
Yes, what the agent says over the phone is considered "point of sale advertising".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.