Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

No Seating Availability AF booked through Delta?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2014, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, CX GREEN

Purchased a flight through Delta that is a codeshare on AF8. Delta.com has at times had one seat available, middle seat in rear of plane (44E).

In going through the booking process on AF.com, there are plenty of available seats, window, aisle, middle. Row 28, 29 almost completely available to choose.

Why do these seats not show up on Delta? Can the GM phone line secure these seats for me. I currently have no seat assignment, and am fully expecting the worst seat on the plane.

Is this the norm for DL status flying on partner airline?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 6:46 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Delta's seat map for partner flights is just not reliable. The GM line should be able to get you the seats, though they may not stick. Best bet is to get the AF PNR from the DL rep, and then select seats on the AF site.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 6:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
Delta's seat map for partner flights is just not reliable. The GM line should be able to get you the seats, though they may not stick. Best bet is to get the AF PNR from the DL rep, and then select seats on the AF site.
PMNW used to document partner PNRs on itineraries but whenever I ask, DL agents say that they can't see this. I always call the operating carrier. At the same time, I ask them to confirm that they can see the ticket as well as the reservation in their system and that everything looks OK to them.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 7:18 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
Delta will not show any seat+ or preferred seats on AF, these are blocked by AF for seat selection. You have to get AF to regonize your Skyteam status correctly, that would open up the whole seatmap. Usually only works by calling AF directly.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BER Flyer
Delta will not show any seat+ or preferred seats on AF, these are blocked by AF for seat selection. You have to get AF to regonize your Skyteam status correctly, that would open up the whole seatmap. Usually only works by calling AF directly.

What's a seat+? Is the middle seat of the middle section towards the front of the cabin a preferred seat?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 7:32 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
PMNW used to document partner PNRs on itineraries but whenever I ask, DL agents say that they can't see this. I always call the operating carrier. At the same time, I ask them to confirm that they can see the ticket as well as the reservation in their system and that everything looks OK to them.
The AF www site also allows you to search for the booking using the DL 006 ticket number. Then you can select and as available move your seat around using the AF seat selection tool. But not always available. Not sure if AF locks seats down once they fill a certain percentage or what.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 7:39 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Zamees
What's a seat+? Is the middle seat of the middle section towards the front of the cabin a preferred seat?
Seat plus are those with extra legroom ( exit row, upper deck on the 744 ).
All the seats in the front of the Y-cabin which are blocked on the DL site are "preferred" seats, Delta only shows those seats available to the general public.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrkmsp
Thanks, just had GM line book me a window seat in row 29. Also provided me the PNR number which shows 0 other seats open. Sounds like only the phone support can book these. But I should have access to easily change now once the flight date gets within 30 hours.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 8:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Thanks, just had GM line book me a window seat in row 29. Also provided me the PNR number which shows 0 other seats open. Sounds like only the phone support can book these. But I should have access to easily change now once the flight date gets within 30 hours.
IIRC AF opens OLCI at T-30 hours.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 8:25 am

Good luck.....

AF has been about the worst experience in airlines I have had. I think Southwest is better.

Even if you get seats assigned and feel good there is no notification of equipment change and you could very well end up with a different seat.

As an aside, I think you could cut diamonds with the AF seat. It is certainly hard enough.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I've started flying AF on a few more TATLs this year. Here's my experience:
- DL.com is miserable at AF seats. It seems like there just isn't any passthrough from DL.com to the AF systems.
- DL PM line has always been able to give me the AF PNR.
- KLM.us website will accept the AF PNR and I've had better luck changing seats there.
- Sometimes I still cannot get AF or KLM websites to recognize STE+ status, so preferred seats are not available online.
- Even with STE+, AF still blocks lots of seats for T-30 or FB Elite members only.
- Calling in helps, but you must call Paris or have the PM line conference them in. Calling AF in the US just routes to the same DL agents.
- Tweeting to @KLM (and NOT @KLM_US) has proven useful for KLM flights. Not sure about AF's twitter.
- On either KLM or AF, regardless of what any website says, I always double-check changes/confirmations at checkmytrip.com, which seems to access the Amadeus system directly. On the 8 or so AF flights I've taken this year, the checkmytrip assignments have always ended up being the seats I put my butt in, even if other websites and agents are seeing something different..
- This is a much bigger issue in Y than it is in J, I think because AF uses the old model of not giving any pax seat assignments until check-in.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: DL Plat, 2 Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Starwood
Originally Posted by gooselee
I've started flying AF on a few more TATLs this year. Here's my experience:
- DL.com is miserable at AF seats. It seems like there just isn't any passthrough from DL.com to the AF systems.
- DL PM line has always been able to give me the AF PNR.
- KLM.us website will accept the AF PNR and I've had better luck changing seats there.
- Sometimes I still cannot get AF or KLM websites to recognize STE+ status, so preferred seats are not available online.
- Even with STE+, AF still blocks lots of seats for T-30 or FB Elite members only.
- Calling in helps, but you must call Paris or have the PM line conference them in. Calling AF in the US just routes to the same DL agents.
- Tweeting to @KLM (and NOT @KLM_US) has proven useful for KLM flights. Not sure about AF's twitter.
- On either KLM or AF, regardless of what any website says, I always double-check changes/confirmations at checkmytrip.com, which seems to access the Amadeus system directly. On the 8 or so AF flights I've taken this year, the checkmytrip assignments have always ended up being the seats I put my butt in, even if other websites and agents are seeing something different..
- This is a much bigger issue in Y than it is in J, I think because AF uses the old model of not giving any pax seat assignments until check-in.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: DL Plat, 2 Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Starwood
Seat assignments on AF

Other than some intra-Europe legs I have not experienced difficulty in getting seats of my choosing. Having stated that I generally book Premium Economy or discounted business class.

Also, my flight experience on AF has been quite pleasant.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Got upgraded on first leg to Premium Economy. Was in Exit row, and intra europe premium economy has same leg room as economy. Came with meal though so that was good.

One thing I didnt understand. There were 3 rows of business, 3x3 with middle seat blocked. 4 of us were in row 4, premium economy. Why didnt they just upgrade us to business for the extra legroom (oh and a hot towel to start), nothing else different. Might be better question for AF forum.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Got upgraded on first leg to Premium Economy. Was in Exit row, and intra europe premium economy has same leg room as economy. Came with meal though so that was good.

One thing I didnt understand. There were 3 rows of business, 3x3 with middle seat blocked. 4 of us were in row 4, premium economy. Why didnt they just upgrade us to business for the extra legroom (oh and a hot towel to start), nothing else different. Might be better question for AF forum.
I didn't think that even business had extra legroom for intra-Europe. Just the middle seat blocked and slight additions to catering/service.

Keeping row 4 as PE would've allowed them to fill the middle seats if they wanted. I guess it also saved a few hot towels and a PDB?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.