FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta announces new international Y benefits, 777 changes (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1529979-delta-announces-new-international-y-benefits-777-changes.html)

jrkmsp Dec 11, 2013 8:44 am

Delta announces new international Y benefits, 777 changes

During the investor relations presentation, Delta told analysts it would make the following changes in coach:

A full-size water bottle for every passenger
A snack box upon arrival (I'm unclear if this is instead of the arrival meal...)
A mini-amenity kit with at least eye shades and ear plugs
Better ear buds
Free liquor (we've heard that already)

They also announced a reconfiguration of the 777s, taking out 7 BE seats and adding 30 Y seats. And they said it would be done within eight months.

MSPeconomist Dec 11, 2013 8:48 am

Fewer FC or fewer BE seats would be scary. Now we'll have fewer seats with more people competing for upgrades since any fare above E is now eligible. I often see BE cabins on the 777 that are full or only have a few empty seats before nonrevs are put on the flight.

readywhenyouare Dec 11, 2013 8:50 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 21946409)
Fewer FC or fewer BE seats would be scary. Now we'll have fewer seats with more people competing for upgrades since any fare above E is now eligible. I often see BE cabins on the 777 that are full or only have a few empty seats before nonrevs are put on the flight.

That was my understanding too. Losing seven BE seats is pretty significant.

bubbashow Dec 11, 2013 8:53 am

At least they haven't yet announced 10-abreast in the 777. That is MISERABLE!

jrkmsp Dec 11, 2013 8:55 am

Originally Posted by bubbashow (Post 21946445)
At least they haven't yet announced 10-abreast in the 777. That is MISERABLE!

As they built up to their announcement, I really thought that was where they were going. Minus seven, plus 30 really could be a lot worse. This will make the A333 and B777 much more similar.

misterbean Dec 11, 2013 8:58 am

Is this for both the 772 and the 77L? I assume it is, to keep the interchangability.

Vuelos Dec 11, 2013 8:59 am

Odd to see 7 seats being pulled out versus 8...

MSPeconomist Dec 11, 2013 9:00 am

Originally Posted by jrkmsp (Post 21946457)
As they built up to their announcement, I really thought that was where they were going. Minus seven, plus 30 really could be a lot worse. This will make the A333 and B777 much more similar.

It will make the second BE compartment on the 777 more like the minicabin on the A330-200. I guess this is easy to do as there currently is just a thin wall between BE and EC with no lavatories or galleys in that area.

DiverDave Dec 11, 2013 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Vuelos (Post 21946483)
Odd to see 7 seats being pulled out versus 8...

I'm going to guess that they will remove the lav at row 10 and replace that with a seat. That would leave two lavs for the remaining 38 seats.

David

rylan Dec 11, 2013 9:24 am

Wow losing 7 seats in BE? Are those added Y seats going to be Y- or some EC?

So we're going to 38/254 J/Y (292 total pax).
Anyone who thinks they're going to be able to find upgrade inventory for a global cert is smoking something... and this is going to just drive J prices up even higher.

Vuelos Dec 11, 2013 9:32 am

Originally Posted by rylan (Post 21946632)
this is going to just drive J prices up even higher.

And that's a bad thing for the airline, how?

BizJet Dec 11, 2013 9:43 am

Originally Posted by DiverDave (Post 21946631)
I'm going to guess that they will remove the lav at row 10 and replace that with a seat. That would leave two lavs for the remaining 38 seats.

David

Also interesting they're adding 30 Y seats, not 27 (which would be 3 full rows of 9 abreast). I wonder if one of the two lavs at doors 3L/3R is coming out as well, replaced with a bank of 3 seats to get to 30 total Y added.

MSPeconomist Dec 11, 2013 9:49 am

Originally Posted by DiverDave (Post 21946631)

David

The lav in front of row 10 is the handicapped lavatory. I think wide-bodied aircraft are required to have one. Does anyone know whether there's a second handicapped lav back in coach? However, expecting handicapped BE passengers to go back to a coach lavatory seems unreasonable. Plus, for BE passengers, that larger lavatory is great if you want to change clothes.

DLGrkItalNY Dec 11, 2013 9:49 am

Driving optimal revenue is right for the airline, tho the loss of 7-BE seats is lamentable. 45J for these birds seemed too high in the current revenue environment with most airlines optimizing T7s in the 30-40 range it seems.

I had heard a rumor of transitioning the T7 fleet to the 74S seat, but I'm not sure they would do that just yet given the fleet isn't that old.

Hopefully, all remaining inventory in the future will be used toward GUs vs. the current situation.

MSPeconomist Dec 11, 2013 9:51 am

Originally Posted by DLGrkItalNY (Post 21946814)
Driving optimal revenue is right for the airline, tho the loss of 7-BE seats is lamentable. 45J for these birds seemed too high in the current revenue environment with most airlines optimizing T7s in the 30-40 range it seems.

Hopefully, all remaining inventory in the future will be used toward GUs vs. the current situation.

What does this mean? Why do you think/hope that DL will increase upgrade inventory as it eliminates the requirement of paying a (much) higher fare to be upgrade eligible?

If DL has a better product, optimizing revenue could easily mean flying aircraft with more business class seats than DL's competitors use, especially given that DL doesn't do IFC.