Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SkyPriority Baggage

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2018, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
How long was it between dropping off bags at the recheck belt and your flight to RDU? If really short or really long it's possible bags didn't get placed with other priority bags. In general I've found DL good about getting priority bags out first. Even at outstation.

For reference, the posts above the one im replying to are from 2013.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
Originally Posted by flyerCO
How long was it between dropping off bags at the recheck belt and your flight to RDU? For reference, the posts above the one im replying to are from 2013.
Yes this is an old thread, but for me this has been an ongoing issue with RDU that is as old as this thread. As for the transfer at DTW, the Priority bags from PVG were off immediately at customs. It was a two hour layover at DTW. At RDU, the priority bags were in the last group off the plane and this has been an issue that I have taken to the DL management at RDU, seems they don't know or are aware of he problem. There has been a lot of turnover at RDU over the last few years, might be a management problem.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SYRRDU
Yes this is an old thread, but for me this has been an ongoing issue with RDU that is as old as this thread. As for the transfer at DTW, the Priority bags from PVG were off immediately at customs. It was a two hour layover at DTW. At RDU, the priority bags were in the last group off the plane and this has been an issue that I have taken to the DL management at RDU, seems they don't know or are aware of he problem. There has been a lot of turnover at RDU over the last few years, might be a management problem.
Strange as RDU has become a focus city for DL. I seem to see more push to steal customers from AA.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
H
Originally Posted by SYRRDU
Delta just decided to bring bag handling at RDU in-house. I’ve heard poor service was part of why they were doing that. So improvements may be coming.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 7:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by socrates

1) You're a diamond elite member...and you're checking bags that much? (I understand AMS but the rest?)
Im a diamond and a check bags 99.9+% of the time. Many years ago I got tired of fighting for overhead space and dragging my bag through the airport.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by vincentharris

Im a diamond and a check bags 99.9+% of the time. Many years ago I got tired of fighting for overhead space and dragging my bag through the airport.
wow, I had to go back, I'm like I didn't post this, at least not recently....talk about zombie threads - 5 years old LOL
Old Nov 18, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Few thoughts here

1) You're a diamond elite member...and you're checking bags that much? (I understand AMS but the rest?)

2) While I don't check often I've had to due to a broken hand recently and every time the priority bags have been off first (even at the hubs)
Originally Posted by vincentharris

What does status level have to do with the amount one would check bags?

I'm a diamond and I check a bag 99.9% of flights. It's for work and the bag is oversized first off. Second off it's heavy with equipment to perform my job. And even so I have found it far more enjoyable to not be wheeling around a bag in airports. Just my personal bag and roll. So much simpler. So much easier. Less stress.

I see this is an old thread but I must have just horrible luck. In the last few years I rarely see my bag in the first 10. Usually somewhere in the middle. At ATL there is a couple dozen bags that come out without the priority tags and then maybe some priority tags. Then other bags. Then more tagged bags. I have had my bag come off what was likely dead last before in ATL.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
I find more often than not, having my bags tagged Priority has been beneficial. In the fact that the yellow tags usually come out first.

I can think of situations where it didn't work, sometimes my second bag comes out after some non yellow tagged bags.

However judging by how many people are usually still waiting when I walk away, I believe it is very beneficial.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
I'm a diamond and I check a bag 99.9% of flights. It's for work and the bag is oversized first off. Second off it's heavy with equipment to perform my job. And even so I have found it far more enjoyable to not be wheeling around a bag in airports. Just my personal bag and roll. So much simpler. So much easier. Less stress.

I see this is an old thread but I must have just horrible luck. In the last few years I rarely see my bag in the first 10. Usually somewhere in the middle. At ATL there is a couple dozen bags that come out without the priority tags and then maybe some priority tags. Then other bags. Then more tagged bags. I have had my bag come off what was likely dead last before in ATL.
Things certainly have changed in the past 5 years, I agree priority bags are coming out less and less often at the start of the drop (that's the bad) but the good is bags are dropping much quicker these days so while I do get annoyed at non-priority dropping first the actual wait time is down considerable in the past 5 years
Old Nov 19, 2018, 11:46 am

Since bags are unloaded based on their location in the bin, it’s mostly the origin airport that’s responsible for prioritizing SP bags. If the origin didn’t properly load the plane, then the destination airport is going to struggle or fail to properly unload the plane.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
I don’t usually check, but I had to bring some stuff back this past weekend from LAX, which required three roller bags.

For the first time EVER, and to my pleasant surprise, ALL three bags were 1-2-3 coming off the carousel at HSV (through DTW on a CRJ7).

I’ve had bags come off first before, but when I had multiple bags, if one came off first, the next one(s) invariably came off almost dead LAST, which I always got a wry chuckle out of. Almost like someone was trying to toy with me.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TheHorta
I’ve had bags come off first before, but when I had multiple bags, if one came off first, the next one(s) invariably came off almost dead LAST, which I always got a wry chuckle out of. Almost like someone was trying to toy with me.
This! Maybe not first and dead last, but enough difference to make me wonder. Especially since my bags are bright colored and noticeable.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Widgets
Since bags are unloaded based on their location in the bin, it’s mostly the origin airport that’s responsible for prioritizing SP bags. If the origin didn’t properly load the plane, then the destination airport is going to struggle or fail to properly unload the plane.
I thought this was the case, thank you for confirming. A question though - on mainline sized planes, do the baggage handlers segregate the priority tagged bags as they unload, and put them on a separate shelf in the cart, or in a separate cart - and then unload that first? Or is the process too hectic for that level of planning?

For the record, I always check at least one bag (tools), and I am perfectly happy to wait 21 minutes for it to arrive! :-D
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Things certainly have changed in the past 5 years, I agree priority bags are coming out less and less often at the start of the drop (that's the bad) but the good is bags are dropping much quicker these days so while I do get annoyed at non-priority dropping first the actual wait time is down considerable in the past 5 years
Agreed. As an update I just flew AUS-ATL on Monday AM. ~30 bags came out from the flight first and then my bag was the 3rd SP tagged bag. I also agree that the speed of delivery is up and it's awesome tracking bag via app. I haven't had problems except for very bad IRROPS. So end result is very good but the delivery of the bags seems hit or miss.

Except a few airports. I get the bags on time miles 100% of the time. Like LAX.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
I thought this was the case, thank you for confirming. A question though - on mainline sized planes, do the baggage handlers segregate the priority tagged bags as they unload, and put them on a separate shelf in the cart, or in a separate cart - and then unload that first? Or is the process too hectic for that level of planning?

For the record, I always check at least one bag (tools), and I am perfectly happy to wait 21 minutes for it to arrive! :-D
SP bags are usually loaded last in a way that makes unloading simple; they’re the first bags off and go on the first cart which goes to baggage claim while the rest of the local bags are offloaded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.