FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   SkyMiles Award levels Renamed (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1506292-skymiles-award-levels-renamed.html)

johnslloyd Sep 26, 2013 11:07 am

Originally Posted by javabytes (Post 21505938)
Well that's ominous...

Also, give a nice bonus to the marketing MBA who figured out how to condition people to pay Medium levels by calling it "Standard" and thus implying this is the price level to be expected for most award travel.

+1. Lipstick on a pig.

johnslloyd Sep 26, 2013 11:09 am

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR (Post 21508336)
I know, it is absolutely crazy.

A company representative posts on here in advance and keeps us informed and communicates and all they get is whine whine whine. I will supply the cheese. :confused::td:

Fake cheez liberated from the SkyClub?

johnslloyd Sep 26, 2013 11:21 am

Originally Posted by pbarnette (Post 21509059)
... I mean, I don't care if DL disrespects IT consultants, because don't we all?

Chuckle.

andymo99 Sep 26, 2013 11:30 am

My definition of Saver vs. Standard... is different from Delta's definition

The lowest published level is "standard" in my mind.

My definition of "Saver" is when an airline offers award seats below the lowest published rate.

As an example, here is Alaska's award calendar for SEA-LAS (and v.v.) in October:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...egas-1-pax.jpg

Oh, and if I change my request from 1 passenger to 7 passengers, here is the calendar:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...egas-7-pax.jpg

A few important notes here:
  • The normal lowest (published) rate is 12.5k miles + $2.50 (shows up as $3 due to rounding) nonstop one way
  • The special award sale is for 10k miles one way
  • When choosing dates on this calendar and clicking forward in the booking path, a customer learns that the **calendar is accurate** These flights are actually available at these rates... even for 7 pax!!!

travelerjim Sep 26, 2013 11:38 am

Please fix the award calendar .....

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar (Post 21508369)
Get the stinkiest most mold infested cheese you can find. :p

More seriously, while advance notice is great in the big scheme of things the name change has zero bearing on the real issue with award travel. I could care less about the what the levels are called. Call them Larry, Curly, and Moe for all I care. How many years have people been asking for the calendar to be fixed? Until that happens anything, however remotely related to the award travel is going to be a whine and chez fest.

AMEN...AMEN & AMEN...
PLEASE FIX THE AWARD CALENDAR !!!
The American Airlines award calendar is EASY to use...
The Delta award calendar SUCKS!
I am a loyal PlatE+ DL flyer...
But, why does it take YEARS ??? to FIX the award calendar???

GRALISTAIR Sep 26, 2013 11:41 am

Get the stinkiest most mold infested cheese you can find. :p.

This be OK for you :D^

http://www.dewlay.com/

eturowski Sep 26, 2013 11:55 am

Get the stinkiest most mold infested cheese you can find. :p

Might I suggest, "casu marzu" - colloquially known as "maggot cheese?"

MS02113 Sep 26, 2013 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes (Post 21508954)
Like the DL armed forces bag fees fiasco? You're right, a bunch of ineffective whining that didn't bring about any change.

The military baggage fiasco was born of social media, but as I recall, Delta acted only after the story had gained traction with traditional media. I just don't see the national outlets picking up FTers' pissing and moaning about complimentary alcohol offerings in airline lounges.

Originally Posted by pbarnette (Post 21509059)
And there is a world of difference between the perception of messing with soldiers and messing with a bunch of IT consultants that happen to fly a lot...

Exactly. To hear the typical journalist tell it, the airlines are incompetent dinosaurs that treat all passengers poorly—except, of course, for the elite frequent fliers, who enjoy exclusive, ultra-luxurious lounges on the ground and bone china, Lobster Thermidor, and amenity kits in the air (in domestic first class, no less). The opportunity to combine an airline hit piece with a bit of "support our troops" indignation was too good to pass up. By contrast, the over-entitled IT consultants are the one-percenters in first class—social inequality personified.

GRALISTAIR Sep 26, 2013 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by eturowski (Post 21509567)
Might I suggest, "casu marzu" - colloquially known as "maggot cheese?"

Sounds wonderful

javabytes Sep 26, 2013 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by MS02113 (Post 21509602)
The military baggage fiasco was born of social media, but as I recall, Delta acted only after the story had gained traction with traditional media. I just don't see the national outlets picking up FTers' pissing and moaning about complimentary alcohol offerings in airline lounges.

The traditional media care about one thing and one thing only - viewership - and thus run stories they think will attract attention. What better story than one that has already demonstrated it can attract the attention of millions? Social media and traditional media don't operate in vacuums.

MS02113 Sep 26, 2013 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes (Post 21509765)
The traditional media care about one thing and one thing only - viewership - and thus runs stories it thinks will attract attention. What better story than one that has already demonstrated it can attract the attention of millions? Social media and traditional media don't operate in vacuums.

Of course, but the point was that while millions were attracted to a perceived slight to men in uniform, practically no one is attracted to the plight of elite frequent fliers.

cardood Sep 26, 2013 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 21505980)
:D ROTFOL :D Helpful? :D

Welcome to the "benefit" of longer-term "continuity" of management of the "loyalty" program.

...with another "enhancement".

It's really pathetic.

c|d

uhclem Sep 26, 2013 3:50 pm

Change is a fact of life. So is inflation...

OnTheSlopes Sep 26, 2013 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes (Post 21505938)
Well that's ominous...

Also, give a nice bonus to the marketing MBA who figured out how to condition people to pay Medium levels by calling it "Standard" and thus implying this is the price level to be expected for most award travel.

Bingo.

cerealmarketer Sep 26, 2013 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ (Post 21506757)
UA and AA also call their low level awards "Saver" (SAAver in AA's case). If I say this ranks as a big "meh" to me, does that make me an apologist?

Another case of Delta copying United. And plenty of examples of the reverse.

Just wish Delta would get United's 'saver' availability religion.