FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   SkyMiles Award levels Renamed (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1506292-skymiles-award-levels-renamed.html)

SkyMilesTeam Sep 25, 13 6:57 pm

SkyMiles Award levels Renamed

In a few hours, you will begin to notice some wording changes on delta.com as you access various areas of the site. Tomorrow morning you will see the following update on the SkyMiles News & Updates page:

"New Names For Award Levels"

To clarify our Award Travel chart, we’ve updated the Award level names to Saver, Standard and Peak from Low, Medium and High, respectively. Please note that the change of names for the Award levels does not indicate changes with the program rules or mileage redemption at this time. Visit our Award Travel page to learn more about using miles for an Award Ticket."

While some may speculate that this change is more than a wording change, we'd like to be very clear that this is only a modification to the way we describe Award levels. It is not a change to the levels themselves.

We hope this is a helpful change for you and the rest of our SkyMiles members.

DwayneSkyMiles

SansSerif Sep 25, 13 7:00 pm

Cool. Thanks for the heads up.

timmy83 Sep 25, 13 7:05 pm

Thanks, Dwayne.

lamont2718 Sep 25, 13 7:08 pm

Thanks for the post. Now the award fare class suffixes -D (for standard) and -K (for peak) make sense.

javabytes Sep 25, 13 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by DwayneSkyMiles (Post 21505830)
Please note that the change of names for the Award levels does not indicate changes with the program rules or mileage redemption at this time.

Well that's ominous...

Also, give a nice bonus to the marketing MBA who figured out how to condition people to pay Medium levels by calling it "Standard" and thus implying this is the price level to be expected for most award travel.

eturowski Sep 25, 13 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes (Post 21505938)
Well that's ominous...

Also, give a nice bonus to the marketing MBA who figured out how to condition people to pay Medium levels by calling it "Standard" and thus implying this is the price level to be expected for most award travel.

My thoughts exactly.

GregL Sep 25, 13 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by eturowski (Post 21505970)
My thoughts exactly.

+1

GUWonder Sep 25, 13 7:28 pm

In a few hours, you will begin to notice some wording changes on delta.com as you access various areas of the site. Tomorrow morning you will see the following update on the SkyMiles News & Updates page:

To clarify our Award Travel chart, we’ve updated the Award level names to Saver, Standard and Peak from Low, Medium and High, respectively. Please note that the change of names for the Award levels does not indicate changes with the program rules or mileage redemption at this time. Visit our Award Travel page to learn more about using miles for an Award Ticket."

While some may speculate that this change is more than a wording change, we'd like to be very clear that this is only a modification to the way we describe Award levels. It is not a change to the levels themselves.

DwayneSkyMiles

:D ROTFOL :D Helpful? :D

This confirms that DL's three-tier pricing of mileage tickets was about increasing the traditionally "standard" type of mileage ticket pricing. And now we have the Orwellian-speak to try to groom minds to buy into the "standard" pricing as if it hasn't changed. At least we have an indication that SkyMiles management wants to jack up prices again. ;)

Welcome to the "benefit" of longer-term "continuity" of management of the "loyalty" program.

remyontheroad Sep 25, 13 7:37 pm

Uh...

I see what you did there...

DwayneSkyMiles

ETA that in the time it took me to think of how to phrase that, 5 other people said the same thing....:)

Tomphot Sep 25, 13 7:40 pm

Oh boy - here we go.
A bit later then many suspected though.

bosnyc Sep 25, 13 7:44 pm

So we can now rename the program from Skypesos to Skycolones (as in Costa Rica).

I'm sure DM's and PM's might think differently but as a DL kettle, it's a shame such a good airline has such a horrendous loyalty program...

FlyingUnderTheRadar Sep 25, 13 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes (Post 21505938)
Well that's ominous...

Yeah no kidding. Originally a single level with lots of restrictions, then two levels with second higher level with less restrictions, but the lower level was still the "Standard." For what three-fours years now three levels with the low still being the "Standard". Now the new "Standard" just doubled.

I guess we should be happy that it was not presented with the preamble of "In order to bring Delta mileage redemption in line with the industry"

Originally Posted by bosnyc (Post 21506067)
So we can now rename the program from Skypesos to Skycolones (as in Costa Rica).

I prefer to think in terms of late 1990 early 2000s Turkish Lira. Back when a million was worth few hundred.

GRALISTAIR Sep 25, 13 8:07 pm

Thanks for the heads up Dwayne.

BamaGirl Sep 25, 13 8:24 pm

Kind of feels like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REvmhBO99I4

MR_MAMA Sep 25, 13 8:30 pm

Oh boy...think a name change is going to hide the fact that we got screwed and the rules changed yet again?