Wiki Posts
Search

AVOD System

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2013, 5:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nada!
AVOD System

Any know how DL pays for their movies on the AVOD? Do they pay per movie or just a set amount for the chosen movies for the month? I was on Emirates last week and there movie/music selection was awesome. Over 3k movies, shows and albums to choose from on the 380. I assume it's a money issue or DL would have more choice. On another note, its very irritating to get on a flight from DXB on August 5 and still have July's Sky magazine in all the seats. That is just lame.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 7:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by sr_tipitinas
Any know how DL pays for their movies on the AVOD? Do they pay per movie or just a set amount for the chosen movies for the month? I was on Emirates last week and there movie/music selection was awesome. Over 3k movies, shows and albums to choose from on the 380. I assume it's a money issue or DL would have more choice. On another note, its very irritating to get on a flight from DXB on August 5 and still have July's Sky magazine in all the seats. That is just lame.
Licensing fees. However, what is shown is difficult as it has to be reformatted to be shown for general audiences.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 7:31 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
Licensing fees. However, what is shown is difficult as it has to be reformatted to be shown for general audiences.
Not really. DL's AVOD always gives me a warning that the content contains mature themes and "viewer discretion" is advised, and asks if I want to continue. Watch Margaret Cho's HBO special next time you're on board and you'll see they don't cut out anything. Except airplane crashes, they still cut those out.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Not really. DL's AVOD always gives me a warning that the content contains mature themes and "viewer discretion" is advised, and asks if I want to continue. Watch Margaret Cho's HBO special next time you're on board and you'll see they don't cut out anything. Except airplane crashes, they still cut those out.
I work in the Entertainment industry, partly in the area that deals with the subject at hand and I'm not authorized to speak on such events, but I can tell you for certain series and portions of specials are edited for the general audience, since they are not subscribers.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
I work in the Entertainment industry, partly in the area that deals with the subject at hand and I'm not authorized to speak on such events, but I can tell you for certain series and portions of specials are edited for the general audience, since they are not subscribers.
Oh I see, I thought you were talking about taking out the naughty words and nekkididity like they used to have to do when they showed films on the projection screens.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 4:31 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Actually i did notice that other airlines had more of a selection
Old Aug 7, 2013, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Any know how DL pays for their movies on the AVOD? Do they pay per movie or just a set amount for the chosen movies for the month? I was on Emirates last week and there movie/music selection was awesome. Over 3k movies, shows and albums to choose from on the 380. I assume it's a money issue or DL would have more choice. .
Believe it or not, the AVOD selection on DL's recently refurbished international birds (744, 763ER, A330s) easily rivals EK's in terms of numbers - for example, DL now offers around 330-350 movies to choose from while EK's newest ICE system offers around 345-350 titles.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 2:54 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
For some reason i think the music selection is not so impressive
Old Aug 7, 2013, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by flymanbeast
For some reason i think the music selection is not so impressive
DL's latest AVOD system offers around 350-400 CDs, which beats most carriers worldwide.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

I flew a 777 back from Dubai on Monday and flew 4 different Emirates flights last week. Emirates easily has 3x-4x more selections. They have over 3000 titles on the A380 but somewhat less on their 777 and A330. Delta had about 15 movies to choose from on the 777. I watched about 4 of them so I know.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 3:34 pm

Delta had about 15 movies to choose from on the 777. I watched about 4 of them so I know.
LOL! I can guarantee you that DL has more than 15 movies to choose from on the 777. Even the OLD unrefurbished 763ERs with the small 7 inch PTV screen in BE offers around 20-25 film selections...
Old Aug 7, 2013, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

The A380 had 1000 movies in about 10 different languages. Maybe it was 25 on Delta but you get my point.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 4:08 pm

The A380 had 1000 movies in about 10 different languages. Maybe it was 25 on Delta but you get my point.
I have the EK A380 ICE catalog with me, and it does not have 1000 movies, not even on the 380. They have 1500 channels, with each channel being a movie or a TV program or a game or a CD, etc. There are 500+ CDs alone, 200+ TV programs, 100+ games, etc.
EK certainly offers more "World Cinema" and Bollywood movies than DL ever could/would though.

The DL 777 had about 200+ movies a year or two ago (when I last flew on a 777), and I am not sure whether they have upgraded to the expanded catalog of 330+ movies (found on the 744, 763ER, A330). Perhaps the 15-20 you saw were only in the "New Releases" or one of the categories. I am very sure they have not gone back and reduced the number of movie selections from over 200 to 20!
Old Aug 7, 2013, 4:10 pm

Delete Delete Delete
Old Aug 7, 2013, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I'm not quite sure what flight you were on or if you didn't know how to move past the letter B or C in the selections but the 777s on delta have hundreds of movies to chose from.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.