FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Does The ATL Plane Train Operate 2-3AM? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1451463-does-atl-plane-train-operate-2-3am.html)

JSteele Mar 22, 2013 2:42 pm

Does The ATL Plane Train Operate 2-3AM?

Just had an already late night arriving flight get pushed back to a 2:25 AM arrival. I figure the plane train gets shut down for maintenance at some point, and I am traveling with a child, so I am hoping it is still running between 2-3.

Anyone know?

WidgetHead Mar 22, 2013 2:47 pm

Back in 2009, I had the last flight out on JFK-ATL get delayed and we didn't leave until around midnight. We arrived sometime around 1:30-2AM and the Plane Train was shut down, we had to walk all the way from the B concourse. Even though this was a few years ago, I wouldn't expect it to be running at such an early hour.

Good luck!

MSPeconomist Mar 22, 2013 2:55 pm

Some flights were delayed until about this time on March 18th. There were reports of SCs not staying open for people but IIRC no reports of the plane train being shut down. However, more than a single flight was affected.

I'd ask DL in advance to arrange assistance. They should be able to have an electric cart meet you.

gooselee Mar 22, 2013 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 20465618)
Some flights were delayed until about this time on March 18th. There were reports of SCs not staying open for people but IIRC no reports of the plane train being shut down. However, more than a single flight was affected.

I'd ask DL in advance to arrange assistance. They should be able to have an electric cart meet you.

+1 - DL can arrange something. I don't think the Plane Train has hours per se, but those times would be the most logical to take trains offline for maintenance and safety checks.

Also, the moving walkway going from A to T is also currently closed, so if the train is offline you'll actually be walking that distance. It's actually walled off while they make enhancements. Made me chuckle as I walked by thinking about to what extent you can "enhance" a moving walkway.

JSteele Mar 22, 2013 3:16 pm

I called the airport, and they said it will be closed from 1-4 am. Ouch! Great to hear about the closed sidewalk. I am arriving at C, and I think I will get picked up at the International side to avoid that walk.

DLFan2 Mar 22, 2013 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee (Post 20465674)
+1 - DL can arrange something. I don't think the Plane Train has hours per se, but those times would be the most logical to take trains offline for maintenance and safety checks.

Also, the moving walkway going from A to T is also currently closed, so if the train is offline you'll actually be walking that distance. It's actually walled off while they make enhancements. Made me chuckle as I walked by thinking about to what extent you can "enhance" a moving walkway.

The moving sidewalk apparently experienced an electrical event last week which caused the tunnel to fill with smoke. Hopefully the "enhancements" will prevent recurrences.

Snidely Whiplash Mar 22, 2013 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by JSteele (Post 20465541)
Just had an already late night arriving flight get pushed back to a 2:25 AM arrival. I figure the plane train gets shut down for maintenance at some point, and I am traveling with a child, so I am hoping it is still running between 2-3.

Anyone know?

Actually the plane train operates 24/7, but it does decrease departure frequency to once every three hours at 1 am, before resuming normal frequency at 4 am. :D

JSteele Mar 22, 2013 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash (Post 20465760)
Actually the plane train operates 24/7, but it does decrease departure frequency to once every three hours at 1 am, before resuming normal frequency at 4 am. :D

I am actually not even flying Delta, but I have to accept the snark inherent here in order to benefit from the extensive ATL knowledge.

MSPeconomist Mar 22, 2013 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash (Post 20465760)

Funny. I guess we can say the same thing about the train between terminals at SIN.

gooselee Mar 22, 2013 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by JSteele (Post 20465768)
I am actually not even flying Delta, but I have to accept the snark inherent here in order to benefit from the extensive ATL knowledge.

Hah. Would still recommend calling the airline you are on to see if they can offer some kind of assistance. I believe the walk from E to F is also quite long.

Hopefully you at least don't arrive at C1, making the distance from gate to curb the longest possible journey imaginable.

sky303 Mar 22, 2013 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee (Post 20465932)
Hah. Would still recommend calling the airline you are on to see if they can offer some kind of assistance. I believe the walk from E to F is also quite long.

Hopefully you at least don't arrive at C1, making the distance from gate to curb the longest possible journey imaginable.

Not as bad as when I checked in in the domestic terminal with my father for our flight to AMS so he could park in the employee lot. The Plane Train went out of service for a maintenance issue and we had to book it from domestic security to F. Thank god for the Champagne when we finally got aboard!

N830MH Mar 22, 2013 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 20465618)

Good idea! They will take you there. You can go on the electric carts and it is very fast and they doesn't slow down.

stevenasmith98 Mar 22, 2013 6:07 pm

From the horse's mouth.

Just pinged Steve poerschmann, who runs the train. Sounds like delta should pin him too.

"Normal operating hours for The Plane Train are 5 am to 1:30 am. We can offer limited extended service if air carriers notify us by midnight and there are no scheduled APM maintenance conflicts.

Thanks for your inquiry.

Steve

Steven E. Poerschmann, C.M.

Director, Aviation Transportation Systems
Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport "

Greysword Mar 22, 2013 6:16 pm

Will the electric cart wait for him or can someone else hijack his requested transport?

orr333 Mar 22, 2013 7:59 pm

I can confirm that after several journeys from A to B and back to A on the 18th, the plane train was not running.