FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Pre-confirmed upgrade for SFO-JFK tomorrow - new policy? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1433535-pre-confirmed-upgrade-sfo-jfk-tomorrow-new-policy.html)

amolkold Feb 1, 2013 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by jondysse (Post 20166984)
Had asked on a related thread, are ugprade chances decent for PMs on SFO-JFK then? Or pretty much 75-100% for DM and mixed (~50%) for PMs?

I am contemplating SFO-JFK direct vs SFO-EWR or SFO-LGA with connection. EWR and LGA are more convenient for where I am going, but SFO-JFK direct up front is very tempting.

There have been some amazing SFO-EWR A fares (sub-$500 rt). You won't get on the direct, but it might be worth considering. Check the mileage run premium deals subthread.

mnredfox Feb 1, 2013 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by alee0729 (Post 20167434)
I'd say it depends on time of day. 6am flight out of SFO on Thursday had first class pretty much empty up until Wednesday, so a lot of upgrades got processed and my lowly PM status got me up front. I suspect a later flight on Friday would be highly competitive.

Are you saying there were a bunch of EUA's at 24 hours?

flyingdoc747 Feb 1, 2013 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by skyvanman (Post 20157949)
Did a MR Monday-Tuesday and got pre-confirmed upgrade outbound LAX-JFK (11:30pm on Monday) on Sunday, waited out and got the last upgrade JFK-LAX on Tuesday. Was a nice MR with all 4 segments clearing (LAX-JFK-SJU-JFK-LAX). Guy sitting next to me was also surprised to have LAX-JFK clear in advance. Second time I've ever had this on that route.

On the Tuesday 9pm JFK-LAX flight all gate upgrades cleared about 40-45 minutes prior to the flight.

Hi skyvanman! congrats on the rare nyc upgraded mileage run! Did you wait in the gate area until the last passenger boarded or were you upgraded 30 mins prior? Were some passengers on the upgrade list removed when they boarded the plane?

Thanks!

alee0729 Feb 2, 2013 9:29 am

Originally Posted by mnredfox (Post 20170361)
Are you saying there were a bunch of EUA's at 24 hours?

Yes. Both the thread starter and I got upgraded at T-1.

nystateofmind Feb 2, 2013 12:26 pm

So it is not SFO/JFK but my parents (both FO) on U fares got upgraded DCA/JFK on Friday evening for a Sunday evening flight

amolkold Feb 2, 2013 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by nystateofmind (Post 20172904)
So it is not SFO/JFK but my parents (both FO) on U fares got upgraded DCA/JFK on Friday evening for a Sunday evening flight

Nice, I've found weekend JFK/DCA flights to be easy upgrades even as a low-tier. Friday night is within the normal FO window for a Sunday departure.

The reason why many of us are surprised by pre-confirmed upgrades on SFO/LAX-JFK is because upgrades have been held back until the gate for many years now. I've heard of a few instances but those were on days like Thanskgiving where cabins were empty. Not only did OP get an upgrade, so did another pax on that flight, and so did myself + another FTers on a flight the day before.

jondysse Feb 2, 2013 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by alee0729 (Post 20167434)
I'd say it depends on time of day. 6am flight out of SFO on Thursday had first class pretty much empty up until Wednesday, so a lot of upgrades got processed and my lowly PM status got me up front. I suspect a later flight on Friday would be highly competitive.

Yup, picked a 6am departure on a tuesday and hoping for the best!

Unrelated, but first flights on Delta as PM trial I'm 3/4 at 5 days out, hoping I'll get the last one (MSP-STL) at the gate at the least. Pretty cool! ^

mnredfox Feb 2, 2013 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by alee0729 (Post 20172043)
Yes. Both the thread starter and I got upgraded at T-1.

Wow, will let you all know my results in a couple of weeks. Though this policy is not so good for ppl like me that like to SDC into these routes. Given what I see on EF for tomorrow though it appears this is not widespread.

amolkold Feb 2, 2013 11:35 pm

So now that the change in inventory code has happened and the possibilities of going to town on a potential mistake is gone, I have a confession to make ...

The day before my JFK-LAX flight, I switched from my original routing to ATL-JFK-LAX because of a potential delay. I checked EF and both my ATL-JFK and JFK-LAX flight were V0 and X0. However, as soon as I switched, I was upgraded into V and X, even though they were 0 on EF. This is before the switch to RU and OU happened, and both my boarding passes from that day (1/29) show V and X, which just so happen to be the future lowest tier coach fare codes.

I'm thinking mine may have been a glitch, especially since I was UG on ATL-JFK and JFK-LAX. I'm a GM and when I got to the JFK-LAX gate, the UG list was 20 long. No way there weren't DMs/PMs on that list that should have been upgraded before me. When I was upgraded, I was the 14th passenger in a 16 passenger cabin, it's not like it was an empty flight.

I made the switch around 4pm eastern on Sunday and was upgraded on the 12:30pm ATL-JFK and the 5pm JFK-LAX on Monday.

FYI, if the glitch is still happening, I don't mind deleting this post ... send me a PM if so.

lamont2718 Feb 3, 2013 9:08 am

Had a strange experience at the gate today for SFO-JFK. I'm a PM on a Y fare, and I was #1 on the UG list for most of the past 24 hours. Then starting around T-8, the UG list for this flight stopped loading on delta.com and on the mobile app. Got to the SFO SC at T-1 and asked the agent where I was on the UG list. She confirmed my spot as #1 with 9 seats remaining, so I figured the upgrade was likely to clear.

Then I got to the gate just 15 minutes later, and the screen showed me as #7 with only 7 seats remaining. I was completely flummoxed. Was it really possible that in those 15 minutes, 8 DMs on full Y fares and/or DMs/PMs on SWUs suddenly checked in, and 2 of those 8 were upgraded?

Ultimately I did make the upgrade by the skin of my teeth, but the experience of moving from #1 for 9 seats to #7 for 7 seats in just 15 minutes was certainly a surprise...

mnredfox Feb 3, 2013 10:26 am

Originally Posted by amolkold (Post 20175629)
So now that the change in inventory code has happened and the possibilities of going to town on a potential mistake is gone, I have a confession to make ...

The day before my JFK-LAX flight, I switched from my original routing to ATL-JFK-LAX because of a potential delay. I checked EF and both my ATL-JFK and JFK-LAX flight were V0 and X0. However, as soon as I switched, I was upgraded into V and X, even though they were 0 on EF. This is before the switch to RU and OU happened, and both my boarding passes from that day (1/29) show V and X, which just so happen to be the future lowest tier coach fare codes.

I'm thinking mine may have been a glitch, especially since I was UG on ATL-JFK and JFK-LAX. I'm a GM and when I got to the JFK-LAX gate, the UG list was 20 long. No way there weren't DMs/PMs on that list that should have been upgraded before me. When I was upgraded, I was the 14th passenger in a 16 passenger cabin, it's not like it was an empty flight.

I made the switch around 4pm eastern on Sunday and was upgraded on the 12:30pm ATL-JFK and the 5pm JFK-LAX on Monday.

FYI, if the glitch is still happening, I don't mind deleting this post ... send me a PM if so.

You know I had this happen once, but not with a switch but booking high (but not full Y fare). I was EUA'd with X0. Couldn't explain it nor could the agent.

skchin Feb 3, 2013 10:59 am

Two of my favorite routes. Weekends are the best for getting advanced upgrades.

mnredfox Oct 28, 2013 12:46 pm

Wow, first time ever, getting EUA on transcon JFK-SFO 6 days out!!!

BE was empty (16 empty seats) last night, this AM 5 are filled. DL released 5 seats probably. ^

I'm never counting on this happening again (or being able to use an SWU).

Funny part is, EF shows OU class as 9 on my flight, 8 on later flight. Is this a new trend for DL?

lamont2718 Oct 28, 2013 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by mnredfox (Post 21683249)
Funny part is, EF shows OU class as 9 on my flight, 8 on later flight.

Surely by OU, you mean OP? Unless EF is showing OU/RU availability again?

ALSO -- congrats! Enjoy the peace of mind :)

flyertalker003967 Oct 29, 2013 10:25 am

Originally Posted by mnredfox (Post 21683249)
Wow, first time ever, getting EUA on transcon JFK-SFO 6 days out!!!

BE was empty (16 empty seats) last night, this AM 5 are filled. DL released 5 seats probably. ^

I'm never counting on this happening again (or being able to use an SWU).

Funny part is, EF shows OU class as 9 on my flight, 8 on later flight. Is this a new trend for DL?

Just happened to me and my girlfriend today. I was originally booked on an earlier flight and did a SDC to the 7 pm and instantly upgraded (both of us). Thinking upgrade availability was the cause of this I did a dummy booking and no upgrade. Strange.