FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Pre-confirmed upgrade for SFO-JFK tomorrow - new policy? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1433535-pre-confirmed-upgrade-sfo-jfk-tomorrow-new-policy.html)

amolkold Jan 30, 2013 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by LAX88 (Post 20156761)
In my experience, SFO-JFK is the easiest of the JFK-LAX/SFO routes. I've never been upgraded in advance LAX-JFK-LAX in advance, but have routinely been upgraded in advance SFO-LAX. I mean, if you lived in SFO would you really choose to fly DL? I wouldn't.

Now if only I could route LA area - JFK via SFO ...

mnredfox Jan 30, 2013 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by LAX88 (Post 20156761)
In my experience, SFO-JFK is the easiest of the JFK-LAX/SFO routes. I've never been upgraded in advance LAX-JFK-LAX in advance, but have routinely been upgraded in advance SFO-LAX. I mean, if you lived in SFO would you really choose to fly DL? I wouldn't.

I've never been upgraded in advance on any of these routes, have flown it probably 40-50 times the past 2 years.

alee0729 Jan 30, 2013 11:32 pm

Tue 1/29 2:30pm JFK-SFO list cleared 30 min before boarding. Missed the upgrade -- #5 of 28 for 4 seats

I received my upgrade for tomorrow's 1/31 6:15a SFO-JFK T-1 day as a PM.

Edit: Realizing that judging by the post time (and my time zone confusion) that BritishMatt will be on my flight sitting in F with me...

skyvanman Jan 31, 2013 2:40 am

Did a MR Monday-Tuesday and got pre-confirmed upgrade outbound LAX-JFK (11:30pm on Monday) on Sunday, waited out and got the last upgrade JFK-LAX on Tuesday. Was a nice MR with all 4 segments clearing (LAX-JFK-SJU-JFK-LAX). Guy sitting next to me was also surprised to have LAX-JFK clear in advance. Second time I've ever had this on that route.

On the Tuesday 9pm JFK-LAX flight all gate upgrades cleared about 40-45 minutes prior to the flight.

DL2SXM Jan 31, 2013 7:41 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 20155456)
DL gives the upgrade windows as 5, 5, 3, etc. days in advance, they're really at 5 pm ATL time 6, 6, 4, etc..

you left out Silver Medallion.

DL2SXM Jan 31, 2013 7:43 am

Originally Posted by skyvanman (Post 20157949)
Did a MR Monday-Tuesday and got pre-confirmed upgrade outbound LAX-JFK (11:30pm on Monday) on Sunday, waited out and got the last upgrade JFK-LAX on Tuesday. Was a nice MR with all 4 segments clearing (LAX-JFK-SJU-JFK-LAX). Guy sitting next to me was also surprised to have LAX-JFK clear in advance. Second time I've ever had this on that route.

On the Tuesday 9pm JFK-LAX flight all gate upgrades cleared about 40-45 minutes prior to the flight.

wait until they throw the 767 with 35 flat beds on jfk - lax. I wonder if that will improve the ratio of clearing ahead of the BF UG's? I would imagine that DM's will be a lock for upgrades on all the transcon routes.

skyvanman Jan 31, 2013 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by DL2SXM (Post 20159032)
wait until they throw the 767 with 35 flat beds on jfk - lax. I wonder if that will improve the ratio of clearing ahead of the BF UG's? I would imagine that DM's will be a lock for upgrades on all the transcon routes.

But it may also mean more paid customers. I just helped someone switch from a Virgin America LAX-JFK-LAX to DL because the seats are the same and the price was significantly less. We'll see how prices change, maybe we'll actually be able to get a revenue LAX-JFK ticket for less than a revenue LAX-JFK-LHR ticket!

mridley2 Jan 31, 2013 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by DL2SXM (Post 20159021)
you left out Silver Medallion.

that was included in the "etc."

FO's... that's really about all their worth. :eek:

Carl Johnson Jan 31, 2013 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by indufan (Post 20155564)
In fact, I believe that information is wrong. It's just like all of the rest of them and whatever V inventory there is or lack thereof.

Well, I have been on a flight with 8 people on the upgrade list and 7 seats. I was third on the list and cleared at the gate. It was JFK-SEA, so it was irritating because if I had cleared in advance I could have gone to the Skyclub.

StayingHomeIsBetter Jan 31, 2013 3:49 pm

DAWS (Displaying a Wry Smile, in contrast to LMAO)...

Does anyone else see the irony in someone getting an advanced UG, rather than a battlefield UG, and asking if there has been a new policy implemented?

;)

amolkold Jan 31, 2013 4:06 pm

The 757 transcons are 158Y/16C (Y includes Economy Comfort).

The 767-300ERs are 175Y/36C, don't know if this is what DL will use on these transcons.

So for 17 more Y seats, there are 20 more C seats.

GYEWorldTraveler Jan 31, 2013 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by amolkold (Post 20162269)
The 757 transcons are 158Y/16C (Y includes Economy Comfort).

The 767-300ERs are 175Y/36C, don't know if this is what DL will use on these transcons.

So for 17 more Y seats, there are 20 more C seats.

DL will be flying 76Z aircraft with 26J/200Y. So that is only 10 more seats up front and 42 more seats in coach.

75E: 16J/158Y = 9.2% of plane J seats
76Z: 26J/200Y = 11.5% of plane J seats

It will be slightly better but not sure if it will be as great as some think. I think you will see DL having more and more DMs and PMs in NYC as that is their focus right now so if that number continues to increase UGs may become more difficult.

amolkold Jan 31, 2013 5:13 pm

Thanks for the corrected numbers -- it is definitely a better ratio. Don't forget that AA will keep 3-class service so they might take HVCs away. However, DL is offering direct-aisle access for everyone in J, which AA only offers in F.

jondysse Feb 1, 2013 11:18 am

Had asked on a related thread, are ugprade chances decent for PMs on SFO-JFK then? Or pretty much 75-100% for DM and mixed (~50%) for PMs?

I am contemplating SFO-JFK direct vs SFO-EWR or SFO-LGA with connection. EWR and LGA are more convenient for where I am going, but SFO-JFK direct up front is very tempting.

alee0729 Feb 1, 2013 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by jondysse (Post 20166984)
Had asked on a related thread, are ugprade chances decent for PMs on SFO-JFK then? Or pretty much 75-100% for DM and mixed (~50%) for PMs?

I'd say it depends on time of day. 6am flight out of SFO on Thursday had first class pretty much empty up until Wednesday, so a lot of upgrades got processed and my lowly PM status got me up front. I suspect a later flight on Friday would be highly competitive.