Wiki Posts
Search

DL 38 Diverted for Medical Emergency

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2013, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
DL 38 Diverted for Medical Emergency

Last night (Tuesday), DL 38 from ATL to LHR made an emergency landing at KEF (Iceland) for a medical emergency. I believe an elderly passenger was having a heart issue--hope she is okay. I think it was a precautionary thing, but not 100% sure about that The flight arrived at LHR at 09:40 this morning--about two hours late. Part of the delay was getting a new landing slot at LHR.

I had inside info on this--my wife was on the flight.

Last edited by atl runner; Jan 16, 2013 at 5:43 am
Old Jan 16, 2013, 5:33 am

Programs: DL 2MM/DM
First time to land in Iceland

Woke up and at first thought we were getting in way early, turned out we were landing for a medical emergency and instead got to LHR way late.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by atlspg
Woke up and at first thought we were getting in way early, turned out we were landing for a medical emergency and instead got to LHR way late.
You can count it as a new country you have now visited.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Although a 940 arrival at LHR can be less painful for clearing immigration than 740...
Old Jan 16, 2013, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rwoman
Although a 940 arrival at LHR can be less painful for clearing immigration than 740...
...but not so good when you are connecting on a BA flight to ARN at 10:30, and miss the connection. Fortunately, T5 (and with lounge access) isn't a bad place for her to spend an extra couple of hours, and BA re-booked her on the next flight.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by atl runner
...but not so good when you are connecting on a BA flight to ARN at 10:30, and miss the connection. Fortunately, T5 (and with lounge access) isn't a bad place for her to spend an extra couple of hours, and BA re-booked her on the next flight.
Glad they sorted it out...T5 is definitely not a bad place!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 6:23 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Strange, had the same thing on a UA flt ORD-IAH just after Christmas. Pax from Y traveling with wife and son was having heart problems and came up to the forward galley. Fortunately there were also an EMT, ER physician, and cardiologist onboard.

The FA's went by the book, just like we learned at the ALT DO. Pax was placed on the floor of the galley, FA got him hooked up and monitored. Wife and I traveling in 2C/D (or whatever UA calls those seats) gave our seats to the wife and son because obviously the husband/father would be the first off the plane. The man was conscious and alert when they took him away, good travel karma for our next flt to FRA.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rwoman
Glad they sorted it out...T5 is definitely not a bad place!
Love those big horses outside the BA lounges. Nice having a Pret too.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Pax from Y traveling with wife and son was having heart problems and came up to the forward galley. Fortunately there were also an EMT, ER physician, and cardiologist onboard.
Talk about good timing
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:42 am

Programs: Delta Unobtanium, HHonors Diamond, Total Rewards Seven Stars
I'm on this flight Friday for the umpteenth time. Hope she was okay.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by atl runner
Last night (Tuesday), DL 38 from ATL to LHR made an emergency landing at KEF (Iceland) for a medical emergency. I believe an elderly passenger was having a heart issue--hope she is okay. I think it was a precautionary thing, but not 100% sure about that The flight arrived at LHR at 09:40 this morning--about two hours late. Part of the delay was getting a new landing slot at LHR.

I had inside info on this--my wife was on the flight.
Oh, man! What happened on the flight by last night? Is she okay? Sure I hope she get better soon.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 9:23 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by johnm1019
Talk about good timing
Yeah, couldn't have asked for better pax on this flt but following other threads, it is really quite common to find at least one EMT/nurse/physician or maybe a firefighter or something on a flt when there is a medical emergency. No offense to the FA's, I am familar with their training but it is nowhere near what the others have. Really nice that these pax step up in an emergency.

BTW, on my flt, all of them were Y pax. AFAIK, none of them ever asked for comp or anything else. All they cared about was helping another passenger in obvious distress. Kudos to all of them.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:36 am

Programs: Delta Unobtanium, HHonors Diamond, Total Rewards Seven Stars
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Yeah, couldn't have asked for better pax on this flt but following other threads, it is really quite common to find at least one EMT/nurse/physician or maybe a firefighter or something on a flt when there is a medical emergency. No offense to the FA's, I am familar with their training but it is nowhere near what the others have. Really nice that these pax step up in an emergency.

BTW, on my flt, all of them were Y pax. AFAIK, none of them ever asked for comp or anything else. All they cared about was helping another passenger in obvious distress. Kudos to all of them.
First Y class helps other passengers, what's next, they give them seat belts!? It's never gonna end! No but seriously, yay for nice people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.