Search

Turkey Day Upgrade Possibility

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Delta Platinum
Turkey Day Upgrade Possibility

Hello,
I’m MCI based DL PM (just got it 2 weeks ago), I’m plan fly to SJC on turkey day via MSP(T fare), when I viewed seats on flight from MSP to SJC, I found all the E+ section has already gone, although only 2 FC occupied at this point, I wonder if anyone here have flown this route before and please kindly advise me whether stay on this flight or change to other better upgrade chance flight, thanks.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What time of day?

Thanksgiving weekend is normally an easy time for elite upgrades because there are fewer business travelers flying.

However, IME a big predictor of upgrade odds is aircraft type and especially the ratio of FC to coach seats.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What time of day?

Thanksgiving weekend is normally an easy time for elite upgrades because there are fewer business travelers flying.

However, IME a big predictor of upgrade odds is aircraft type and especially the ratio of FC to coach seats.
Thursday, Nov, 22
MCI-MSP DL970 (MD 90)
LV 7:00AM AR 8:29AM

MSP-SJC DL2185 (MD 90)
LV 9:20AM AR 11:32AM
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:31 am

Programs: DL DM
Minneapolis/San Jose is generally a difficult upgrade, but on Thanksgiving, you should be fine as a Platinum. If you are returning via MSP, that might be another problem.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Thats normally a biz-traveler heavy route, but doubt it on thanksgiving unless there are a lot of single pax traveling home in the morning for thanksgiving dinner.

Odds are its more families traveling together, which will help your upgrade chances. Even though most EC are gone, looks like there are still lots of good preferred seats along the A/B side of the plane. DL is still selling A9T4 on the flight too and it is G9V9 for upgrades, so apparently they aren't expecting many elites nor many people to buy into F with FCM.

If you're worried, you can also check the cost of the A fare.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 7:55 pm

Programs: DL (former NWA) PM
SJC MD-90

Remember not to count on a hot meal on the MD-90, cold meals only regardless of flight length.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I've always had a hot meal on the MSP-SJC route with an MD90.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.