Wiki Posts
Search

PDX Car rental

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2012, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, BA Bronze, Avis Preferred
PDX Car rental

In all my years of flying out of PDX, I never rented a car at the airport. I'll be renting a car for a week in November, and wondered if any of my fellow DL FlyerTalkers had any tips regarding good/bad agencies.

It's hard to tell which companies are on site, and which require a shuttle bus to a remote location.

I typically rent with Hertz, but I've had two very bad experiences with them in Europe in the past week, and am hesitant to book with them again until they sort out my current complaints. It's quite a bummer, since they're generally pretty good, and I get a good deal with them, plus the SkyMiles.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 7:53 am

Programs: IHG-Spire, DL-Gold, MR-Platinum, HH-Gold, SPG-Gold, Hyatt-Diamond, BA-Silver
Originally Posted by PDXNRTLHR
In all my years of flying out of PDX, I never rented a car at the airport. I'll be renting a car for a week in November, and wondered if any of my fellow DL FlyerTalkers had any tips regarding good/bad agencies.

It's hard to tell which companies are on site, and which require a shuttle bus to a remote location.

I typically rent with Hertz, but I've had two very bad experiences with them in Europe in the past week, and am hesitant to book with them again until they sort out my current complaints. It's quite a bummer, since they're generally pretty good, and I get a good deal with them, plus the SkyMiles.
All rental companies would have their bad or good days. Those may not be their general policies that caused issues to you.

Also, not sure about onsite/ offsite on PDX airport - but if you want a great deal on a rental car, this is what I've found to be the cheapest deal:

Book your airline ticket on priceline (you also get cashback through fatwallet). Just buy the normal flight tickets, not consolidator fares since it may not earn you miles.

On checkout, priceline will give you an option to add a rental car for $xx, DO NOT chose to add it. Just book the flight. After your airline booking is done, in the confirmation email you receive - there would be a linked offer to book a rental car. Those prices would be the bottom line for priceline. Book using that link.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:05 am

Programs: 3 Month Delta Plat, UA PP 2.4mm, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Lifetime Diamond, National EE
Don't book Budget there, they moved it off airport some time ago, unless you like another shuttle bus ride in your life.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:05 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by PDXNRTLHR
Welcome to FT -- have you looked at any of the posts in the rental car forums of FT?

To keep thread, Delta related you can now use sky pesos to rent cars and I've done a 8,000 points for a rental car that would have cost $300 for one day rental out of EWR. Mrs Bob H and I were going to a funeral and didn't have time to shop around.

Bob H
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:33 am

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
Port of Portland has a website giving you the contact info of on airport or off airport rental agencies.

http://www.portofportland.com/PDX_Grnd_Trnsprtn.aspx
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:35 am

If you do a search on Travelocity it will tell you which companies have on airport facilities either with or without a shuttle and which don't. Of the ones that are in the terminal I have found that Dollar tends to have the best prices and usually they will let you choose which rental car you want (from the class) as opposed to assigning you one. I like that because as a car buff I can usually tell which are newer models (or I will look at the registration to see what model year it is). I also like that Dollar's "midsize" cars are actually midsize cars versus other companies where they offer cars that not long ago would have been considered "compact." Just remember if you book through Dollar's site to click the tab in the middle of the price list for city specials as that cuts the prices down a bit
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help!
Old Sep 10, 2012, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by charms81
All rental companies would have their bad or good days. Those may not be their general policies that caused issues to you.
I agree--I'm just waiting to get the previous issues straightened out. They are in the process of refunding me £40 (more than $60) for two taxi rides I had to take.

Also, good to know about Budget--after flying for 12 hours, the last thing I want to do is get on a bus.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 4:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Platinum (Life), Emirates Gold,GHA Black
Wrong forum
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by c502cid
Don't book Budget there, they moved it off airport some time ago, unless you like another shuttle bus ride in your life.
I just completed a Budget rental at PDX over Labor Day wknd. Yes, there is a shuttle ride but if you are a FastBreak member you can pick any car in the lot and bypass the counter.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 9:15 pm

Programs: US Silver, WN, Marriott Silver, Hyatt
Be aware that there aren't really any places around PDX to fill up on gas so while I would normally never purchase the fuel option PDX might be one of the only places to consider if you are going to be short on time when returning.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 1:26 am

Programs: DL MM Gold
Originally Posted by ERAU_MBA_Student
Be aware that there aren't really any places around PDX to fill up on gas ...
If I'm coming up from the south, get off one exit early at Sandy and turn east. Plenty of places there.

There is no lower cost fuel in existence than the gas you burn from your last fillup (if it's close) back to the rental return stall.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 3:53 am

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
Originally Posted by TheRoadie
If I'm coming up from the south, get off one exit early at Sandy and turn east. Plenty of places there.
Yep. couple of 76's on andy and 205 interchange and a few others on 82nd south of Sandy.

There is no lower cost fuel in existence than the gas you burn from your last fillup (if it's close) back to the rental return stall.
Unless you are in MCO. Worst gas prices near the airport I have ever seen.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 6:48 am

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
Been a couple years since I rented there, but at that time Alamo was off-airport and required a shuttle ride. I also remember that there were no gas stations conveniently located near PDX, for filling up prior to returning. As always, YMMV.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 8:31 am

I usually take the MAX around town but when I do rent, I use National. I just walk out via the underground tunnel and grab my car. Very fast process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.