Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta slashes mileage earning on unpublished and group fares: 01 September 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta slashes mileage earning on unpublished and group fares: 01 September 2012

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:15 am

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Originally Posted by Travelomania
Good idea @:-)

The email I just received to announce the change starts with:

"You previously purchased a special fare ticket — which is often referred to as an "unpublished fare"
Huh ??? ... (I wasn't even aware I ever purchased an "unpublished" fare)
My mystery is apparently solved
As I didn't get any satisfactory answer by email, I just called the Diamond line to find out about my apparent use of "unpublished" fares as stated in the received email and heard the following:

I recently purchased an Air France ticket, that included a TGV-train-section to/from Paris CDG.
This was referred to as an "unpublished" fare and I did not receive mileage for this leg !

Duh ... !!!

The agent was unaware of the change and could not find the ticket designator, fare class etc. "because it's another airline"
Of course we all know of the "happy" relationship between DL and AF/KL
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:21 am

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
I also received this e-mail. I reviewed my travel receipts for the past three years. There were only two times I purchased a Delta ticket elsewhere and they were from Delta Vacations, which is supposed to be exempt from the new policy. Buyer beware. I don't think I should have been targeted to receive this e-mail, but I am glad I did so I can pay more attention.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:52 am

Question DV

Originally Posted by me4yankees
I also received this e-mail. I reviewed my travel receipts for the past three years. There were only two times I purchased a Delta ticket elsewhere and they were from Delta Vacations, which is supposed to be exempt from the new policy. Buyer beware. I don't think I should have been targeted to receive this e-mail, but I am glad I did so I can pay more attention.
I too buy from DV - occasionally.
Love the fact one can pay with & accrue miles and their fares are usually lower than on DL.com.

Could certain fares of DV be the culprit here ?

Perhaps we should start a separate thread for DV - "Accrual and Buyer Beware" ?
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I too buy from DV - occasionally.
Love the fact one can pay with & accrue miles and their fares are usually lower than on DL.com.

Could certain fares of DV be the culprit here ?

Perhaps we should start a separate thread for DV - "Accrual and Buyer Beware" ?
DL has explicitly said that fares booked via DL Vacations are not subject to reduced earnings. I have a feeling that some of those fares are unpublished/consolidator/whatever, and have ticket differentiators that mark them as such, which may have been used as a flag for folks getting these emails.

However, DL may be making an exception for DL Vacations bookings, whereby they are indeed unpublished fares that would normally be caught by the reduced earnings bucket, but are pulled out of that pool by virtue of being DL Vacations fares (I'm assuming DL has some way of figuring that out).

I say this without having any knowledge of fare codes, ticket differentiators, etc., but just reading through here and adding my 2 cents as to why the confusion might be there.

Here's some logic:
  • There is a school of fish. Some are blue and some are red.
  • Some, but not all, of the red fish have yellow fins.
  • Most red fish are tasty. But, red fish with yellow fins are nasty.
  • RA is a fisherman, and he goes out, catches all the red fish, and tells them he going to eat them. All the red fish freak out.
  • Once it comes time for dinner, though, RA picks out any red fish with yellow fins, and throws them back.

Blue fish = published fares
Red fish = unpublished fares
Yellow fins = DL Vacations bookings
RA = himself

Better?
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:06 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by odysseus9001
At some point, however, it simply stops making sense to be loyal to any one airline, and to simply buy the lowest cost combined package of services a la carte. It would be simple enough to set up a spreadsheet that does all the necessary calculations to determine the lowest cost carrier and to determine whether paying for a credit card reduces baggage costs enough to be worth paying an annual fee (even though at this point, I'd likely revert back to debit card for most purchases). I pay extra to fly Delta, but you really have to wonder whether its really worth it, when I can pick a la carte menu options, such as spending $9 to get priority boarding, on any airline, if I wanted that. I suspect I could probably save a significant amount of money simply competing flights on price and choosing my level of service.
Some people have been advocating this model for some time and it definitely has some merit.

Originally Posted by grahampros
Corporate and business travelers have little to be worried about this change. These are in no way consolidator fares. That is just your own misunderstanding on what this applies to.
I disagree that any corporate TA fares are "in no way" consolidator fares. Have you checked every single one of them? There are already reports upthread of some corporate TA fares indeed being consolidator fares. I find it very plausible. In fact I know firsthand that it is true in some cases.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
DL has explicitly said that fares booked via DL Vacations are not subject to reduced earnings. I have a feeling that some of those fares are unpublished/consolidator/whatever, and have ticket differentiators that mark them as such, which may have been used as a flag for folks getting these emails.

However, DL may be making an exception for DL Vacations bookings, whereby they are indeed unpublished fares that would normally be caught by the reduced earnings bucket, but are pulled out of that pool by virtue of being DL Vacations fares (I'm assuming DL has some way of figuring that out).

I say this without having any knowledge of fare codes, ticket differentiators, etc., but just reading through here and adding my 2 cents as to why the confusion might be there.

Here's some logic:
  • RA is a fisherman, and he goes out, catches all the red fish, and tells them he going to eat them. All the red fish freak out.
  • Once it comes time for dinner, though, RA picks out any red fish with yellow fins, and throws them back.

RA = himself

Better?
Much better ^ and thanks for the .... LOL
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:28 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer

Here's some logic:

RA = himself

Better?
Good explanation, but people will still carp.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:39 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Here's some logic:

RA = himself

Better?
Yes, that makes things clearer. One question though, was this fishing vacation booked using published or unpublished fares?
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by DLdweeb
One question though, was this fishing vacation booked using published or unpublished fares?
Sounds almost as arranged with DV - fishing in murky waters
Old Aug 24, 2012, 3:57 pm

Exclamation fishing @ DV

Well, lo and behold ... talking about fishing in murky waters:

Delta Vacations just quoted me (unknowingly) an "unpublished" fare for some tatl flights (+ car) that I need to take next month.
Asked the TA if she was aware of DL's limiting accrual for "unpublished" or as she called it "bulk fares".
The answer was NO and we both agreed that I should verfify in advance my DV purchase with Delta to check for accrual purposes.

Dark, murky waters indeed ......
Old Aug 24, 2012, 4:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Exclamation

Well, lo and behold ... talking about fishing in murky waters:

Delta Vacations just quoted me (unknowingly) an "unpublished" fare for some tatl flights (+ car) that I need to take next month.
Asked the TA if she was aware of DL's limiting accrual for "unpublished" or as she called it "bulk fares".
The answer was NO and we both agreed that I should verfify in advance my DV purchase with Delta to check for accrual purposes.

Dark, murky waters indeed ......
Two points:
1) DV is excluded, so how is it murky? You will get your credit.
2) This applies to purchases from 9/1. Why are you worried if you are buying today?
Old Aug 24, 2012, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by pbarnette
1) DV is excluded, so how is it murky? You will get your credit.
I'm not sure I should believe instantly what DL tells me, unless it's confirmed solidly by others - do you ?

2) This applies to purchases from 9/1. Why are you worried if you are buying today?
I received a quote today - I didn't say I was buying. Have to check with DL first as I was advised to do
And who guarantees that DL will not implement the rule for travel as of 9/1 ?
I'd rather be on the safe side and earn - instead of fish for miles
Old Aug 24, 2012, 5:13 pm
Suspended

SkyPisces
Old Aug 24, 2012, 5:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold

I'm not sure I should believe instantly what DL tells me, unless it's confirmed solidly by others - do you ?

I received a quote today - I didn't say I was buying. Have to check with DL first as I was advised to do
And who guarantees that DL will not implement the rule for travel as of 9/1 ?
I'd rather be on the safe side and earn - instead of fish for miles
I have no reason to doubt what is explicitly written on their website. Take a screenshot if you want some extra security, but it is there, in plain English. I'll take that over verbal confirmation from some agent that is likely reading from the same place. At the end of the day, if you don't trust what is written on the website, I fail to understand what assurance anyone else can give you that would be better.

Then again, I've never felt particularly mistreated by Delta. I am under no illusions about the very business-like nature of our arrangement, but as to this topic: I've always received credit for flights in accordance with the rules on the website. Given that experience, I see no reason to think things will be different this time.

Of course, there is certainly a large contingent of folks here that are both tragically unlucky and gluttons for punishment who can regale you with anecdotes about all the times DL has screwed them over, so it is always worth seeking their collective wisdom if you are an unlucky guy that keeps coming back after suffering grievous harm at Delta's hands. They will certainly offer different advice.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 3:22 pm

Package air/hotel to Aruba on Hotels.com. Regular Delta flights (non-charter) booked in 'U' class with a Delta fare basis. If I book this for my friends after Sep 1, 2012 would this fall under this new rule of diminished earnings or will they get full 100%?

Not sure if this would fall under consolidator or discounted tour packages?

Here's some fare basis info off the site regarding the DL ticket.

To: Oranjestad, Aruba (AUA-Queen Beatrix Intl.)
Fare Basis Code: UNN07ESQ
V FARE BASIS BK FARE TRAVEL-TICKET AP MINMAX RTG
1 UNN07ESQ U‡R 356.00 E05SE T29AU 7/3 SU/12M WH01
R14FE
PASSENGER TYPE-ADT AUTO PRICE-YES
FROM-CHI TO-AUA CXR-DL TVL-15OCT12 RULE-WH10 IPRW/5
FARE BASIS-UNN07ESQ SPECIAL FARE DIS-E VENDOR-ATP
FARE TYPE-XAC RT-2ND LEVEL SUPER/SPECIAL ADVANCE PURCHASE
USD 326.00 0470 E05SEP12 D14FEB13 FC-UNN07ESQ FN-H
SYSTEM DATES - CREATED 21AUG12/2224 EXPIRES INFINITY

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.