Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Take the Delta flight for silver status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2023, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

I’m booking a SEA - SYD flight. I have $451 credit on United Airlines that expires Nov 2024. I was thinking I’d use the credit to pay for this flight so it’s $451 cheaper. And even though it expires next year I don’t know 100% my travel plans and if I’ll be flying United since I’m based in SEA. At this point in time Delta, United, American are all the same price. I also have fast track status with Alaska currently (MVP Gold) and will get it next year too.

Forgot to mention, if I fly Delta I will get silver medallion (I have already hit 25k miles, I just haven’t reached the spend limit of $3,000).

My airplane options are:

United: Boeing 777-300 Extended Range
Delta: Airbus A350-900

I go by “a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush and I’m not 100% certain if I’ll fly with United. Given this, should I book with Delta for Silver Medallion or go with United for the savings? I’ve never gotten status through natural spend before, only through promos.

I’ve never flown on an A350 before. Only downside is that the only seat left on Delta is a window seat next to the lavatory for a 15 hour flight.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Silver isn't worth $400.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 3:12 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles - Platinum; Hertz - President's Circle; Expedia - Gold
Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
Silver isn't worth $400.
Well, the OP isn't paying $400 for status, that money pays for the flight needed anyway.

Silver status is nice to have if you plan on flying Delta / Skyteam partners more than once next year and carry free check-in luggage plus priority check-in. Also, your MQM's from this year will not be wasted - they can be converted to MQD's (10:1) to facilitate qualification for Silver in 2025, or into Skymiles used for awards(also 10:1)
busdriver11 and jetsfan92588 like this.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 5:38 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL PL, B6 M3
If flying economy A350-900 on Delta is a tad nicer product in my opinion. Slightly more seat width and padding, service tends to be better. Depending on what part of the trip you hit silver on slight chance you could score confort plus on your return.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 6:21 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Firstboss
Also, your MQM's from this year will not be wasted - they can be converted to MQD's (10:1) to facilitate qualification for Silver in 2025, or into Skymiles used for awards(also 10:1)
carryover MQMs are 2:1 conversion to SkyMiles. So basically each MQM will be worth 1/2 cent.

https://news.delta.com/delta-shares-...o%20of%202%3A1.
Firstboss likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 6:55 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
If you are somewhat confident you will be able to use the UA voucher on some other flight that expires Nov 2024, and you also think you'll fly DL enough to "enjoy" the limited benefits of having Silver status, it might make sense to lean towards the DL flight, but if you are an infrequent traveler, probably just go with UA to reap the ~$450 now.

On the other hand since you also appear to be considering OneWorld for this trip I'm guessing that it's not so important to use up the $451 immediately.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 7:18 am

If you don’t hit silver, you will lose whatever rollover MQMs that you have (that you can convert to miles or MQDs next year). How many MQMs do you have? Also, is the routing in your trip better for one airline vs another? And if you have status on United, would you get a better seat?
jetsfan92588 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 7:22 am

If it’s a flight you’re already taking, why not. Otherwise, you’re going to be spending to still be lower than all the multi million milers and the not MM diamond and gold. Basically, you’re a nobody on delta now if you don’t have MM.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 7:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Well, the OP isn't paying $400 for status, that money pays for the flight needed anyway.

Silver status is nice to have if you plan on flying Delta / Skyteam partners more than once next year and carry free check-in luggage plus priority check-in. Also, your MQM's from this year will not be wasted - they can be converted to MQD's (10:1) to facilitate qualification for Silver in 2025, or into Skymiles used for awards(also 10:1)
Right, I agree, I wasn't saying don't fly Delta. OP said they may not otherwise be able to use the UA cert. I don't have a way of assigning a percentage to the chance that OP is otherwise able to use the UA cert, so I'm leaving that up to OP, just noting that, silver is not worth $400.

The checked bags and priority boarding is offered with the DL Gold Amex ($99/yr).
Keystone likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 8:08 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I have Silver by virtue of my MM status and I don't find it useless. The ability to pick exit row and other preferred seats has probably been the biggest benefit, as has the luggage allowance and other SkyTeam perks when flying on airlines like ITA. Plus there is the small bonus on earned miles and the occasional (rare) upgrade to first or C+. There is a whole year to find a use for the UA credit. Given this specific scenario I'd opt for the Delta flight.
SUPERTRAVEL likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Stripe
I have Silver by virtue of my MM status and I don't find it useless. The ability to pick exit row and other preferred seats has probably been the biggest benefit, as has the luggage allowance and other SkyTeam perks when flying on airlines like ITA. Plus there is the small bonus on earned miles and the occasional (rare) upgrade to first or C+. There is a whole year to find a use for the UA credit. Given this specific scenario I'd opt for the Delta flight.
thanks for trying to make all of us non million milers - even diamond non MM’s - feel better.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Unless using the credit on UA to buy up to Premium Economy, I’d probably take DL just by nature of the aircraft type. 10 across on a 777 is miserable.
hhdl likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 11:32 am
Original Poster

I don’t check in luggage so really the only benefit I see is potentially being upgraded to comfort plus or first class and the preferred seat choices.

There is a third option I forgot to mention: I have Alaska MVP Gold status so I could also book the same flight price on Alaska (via American or Qantas) to get more Alaska miles
Old Nov 9, 2023, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Blaire951
I don’t check in luggage so really the only benefit I see is potentially being upgraded to comfort plus or first class and the preferred seat choices.

There is a third option I forgot to mention: I have Alaska MVP Gold status so I could also book the same flight price on Alaska (via American or Qantas) to get more Alaska miles
I would take the third option and use the UA voucher for a flight next year. If you are flying enough that you have AS MVP gold, nearly DL FO and a UA voucher, I am sure you will run into a scenario where flights on AS are really expensive or don't work with your schedule and you could take UA to use the voucher.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 4:25 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler
This is bloody brilliant. Just make people want to fly enough to attain Million Miler status. Make all other earning levels meaningless. Then people will fly and fly and fly to reach that milestone. I love it. All that said, just for the record, my Hartmann Million Miler gift has lost it's bottom front brace, and is scuffed beyond all recognition, but is still my preferred bag to check into the slings and arrows of the outrageous fortune of the hold, because it's beyond care.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.