FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Y fare upgrade so far out? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1339972-y-fare-upgrade-so-far-out.html)

mulaman984 Apr 25, 2012 8:34 pm

Y fare upgrade so far out?

Purchased a Y class ticked, round trip ATL-LAS. I am only a FO

As soon as I put my freq flier info in, the return leg automatically cleared an upgrade ( have confirmed seat in first). I know Y fares clear easily But I'm surprised it cleared 9 days out.....

Departure flight hasn't cleared yet ...3 days out but I'm guessing still a good chance for upgrade

mendel k Apr 25, 2012 8:45 pm

Y fare upgrades at time of purchase for all medallions, pending v inventory availability
http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_...ance/index.jsp

TTT Apr 25, 2012 8:46 pm

Y fares clear at booking for Medallions if there is upgrade inventory on the flight.

mulaman984 Apr 25, 2012 9:05 pm

Thx for the info

Regarding the dep flight... Since it didn't clear automatically at time of booking...what are the chances that it clears before day of travel.... Or is this likely going to be a upgrade at the gate scenario

tentseller Apr 25, 2012 9:10 pm

If your fare class is Y then you are ahead of everyone except for higher medallions who bought Y fare.

The reason why it has not cleared yet is V (upgrade seats) has not been released yet.

mlad1101 Apr 25, 2012 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller (Post 18462407)
If your fare class is Y then you are ahead of everyone except for higher medallions who bought Y fare.

And those trying to use SWU's.

MSPeconomist Apr 25, 2012 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by mlad1101 (Post 18462692)
And those trying to use SWU's.

and those upgrading with miles until 24 hours before the flight.

azeckel Apr 25, 2012 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 18462778)
and those upgrading with miles until 24 hours before the flight.

Highly unlikely that V inventory releases between T-3 and T-1...

mattsteg Apr 25, 2012 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by azeckel (Post 18462838)
Highly unlikely that V inventory releases between T-3 and T-1...

Possibly, but not unheard of. I've gotten the occasional plat upgrade at T-2 or so.

ashill Apr 26, 2012 5:52 am

The reason why it has not cleared yet is V (upgrade seats) has not been released yet.

Once you're inside 5 days, that's no longer true, right? ie a Silver on a Y fare can clear before the Diamond window opens, but once the Diamond window is open, Diamonds on T fares clear before Silvers on Y fares, right?

mtkeller Apr 26, 2012 6:00 am

Originally Posted by ashill (Post 18463819)
Once you're inside 5 days, that's no longer true, right? ie a Silver on a Y fare can clear before the Diamond window opens, but once the Diamond window is open, Diamonds on T fares clear before Silvers on Y fares, right?

Y fare trumps at the gate, so I don't see why you'd suddenly have DMs in T upgraded before FOs in Y during the upgrade window. Prior to the flight being put under gate control, elites booked into Y will clear whenever V opens, with higher elite status Y pax clearing below lower elite status Y pax, as far as I know.

DiverDave Apr 26, 2012 6:30 am

OP's first flight is 3 days out, so V has likely been exhausted by DM, PM, and GM. I predict gate lotto. :cool:

David

mulaman984 Apr 28, 2012 2:13 pm

Called the FO phone line ....

The Agent said that gold diamond and plat regardless of fare class will still be higher on the Upgrade list and get cleared before a silver with a Y fare at the gate

mtkeller Apr 28, 2012 2:18 pm

Agent was wrong. Phone agents generally don't know how gate upgrade lists work.

dcline414 Apr 28, 2012 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by mulaman984 (Post 18477083)
Called the FO phone line ....

The Agent said that gold diamond and plat regardless of fare class will still be higher on the Upgrade list and get cleared before a silver with a Y fare at the gate

So they're not even giving FOs correct info anymore??? :p