Y fare upgrade so far out?

Old Apr 25, 2012, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Y fare upgrade so far out?

Purchased a Y class ticked, round trip ATL-LAS. I am only a FO

As soon as I put my freq flier info in, the return leg automatically cleared an upgrade ( have confirmed seat in first). I know Y fares clear easily But I'm surprised it cleared 9 days out.....

Departure flight hasn't cleared yet ...3 days out but I'm guessing still a good chance for upgrade
Old Apr 25, 2012, 8:45 pm

Programs: Delta gm Spg gold hilton gold hyatt platinum hertz presidents avis presidential
Y fare upgrades at time of purchase for all medallions, pending v inventory availability
http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_...ance/index.jsp

Last edited by mendel k; Apr 25, 2012 at 8:52 pm
Old Apr 25, 2012, 8:46 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Y fares clear at booking for Medallions if there is upgrade inventory on the flight.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Thx for the info

Regarding the dep flight... Since it didn't clear automatically at time of booking...what are the chances that it clears before day of travel.... Or is this likely going to be a upgrade at the gate scenario
Old Apr 25, 2012, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
If your fare class is Y then you are ahead of everyone except for higher medallions who bought Y fare.

The reason why it has not cleared yet is V (upgrade seats) has not been released yet.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:28 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by tentseller
If your fare class is Y then you are ahead of everyone except for higher medallions who bought Y fare.
And those trying to use SWU's.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mlad1101
And those trying to use SWU's.
and those upgrading with miles until 24 hours before the flight.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
and those upgrading with miles until 24 hours before the flight.
Highly unlikely that V inventory releases between T-3 and T-1...
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM (FO soon), A3 Gold, TK Classic Plus, SPG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by azeckel
Highly unlikely that V inventory releases between T-3 and T-1...
Possibly, but not unheard of. I've gotten the occasional plat upgrade at T-2 or so.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 5:52 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver

The reason why it has not cleared yet is V (upgrade seats) has not been released yet.
Once you're inside 5 days, that's no longer true, right? ie a Silver on a Y fare can clear before the Diamond window opens, but once the Diamond window is open, Diamonds on T fares clear before Silvers on Y fares, right?
Old Apr 26, 2012, 6:00 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by ashill
Once you're inside 5 days, that's no longer true, right? ie a Silver on a Y fare can clear before the Diamond window opens, but once the Diamond window is open, Diamonds on T fares clear before Silvers on Y fares, right?
Y fare trumps at the gate, so I don't see why you'd suddenly have DMs in T upgraded before FOs in Y during the upgrade window. Prior to the flight being put under gate control, elites booked into Y will clear whenever V opens, with higher elite status Y pax clearing below lower elite status Y pax, as far as I know.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 6:30 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)

OP's first flight is 3 days out, so V has likely been exhausted by DM, PM, and GM. I predict gate lotto.

David
Old Apr 28, 2012, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Called the FO phone line ....

The Agent said that gold diamond and plat regardless of fare class will still be higher on the Upgrade list and get cleared before a silver with a Y fare at the gate
Old Apr 28, 2012, 2:18 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Agent was wrong. Phone agents generally don't know how gate upgrade lists work.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 2:19 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by mulaman984
Called the FO phone line ....

The Agent said that gold diamond and plat regardless of fare class will still be higher on the Upgrade list and get cleared before a silver with a Y fare at the gate
So they're not even giving FOs correct info anymore???

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.