FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Waiting for LGA MQM specials (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1302905-waiting-lga-mqm-specials.html)

edrags Jan 15, 2012 10:42 pm

Waiting for LGA MQM specials

I am holding off on accumulating MQMs with Delta until the LGA inauguration, figuring they will promote those new flights heavily, including (hopefully) double MQMs. Is this a naive strategy?

Do airlines normally promote new routes with elite mileage incentives?

FlyingHigh20 Jan 15, 2012 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by edrags (Post 17821257)
I am holding off on accumulating MQMs with Delta until the LGA inauguration, figuring they will promote those new flights heavily, including (hopefully) double MQMs. Is this a naive strategy?

VERY NAIVE. I highly doubt Delta will entice flyers to use these new routes via double MQM's. Delta usually only offers double MQM's on cities which they are trying to drum up business (where they arent strong). LGA is a strong point of theirs with little competition- they dont need to throw double mqm's to get you to fly.

I think it's more likely we'll see double MQM's thrown on routes where they suffer from more competition (with AirTran/SW merger - I have a feeling some ex-ATL routes or even MCO routes to fight off the goliath AirTran/SW merger in the two ex-AirTran hubs and get business travellers once accustomed to AirTran to head over their way).

3Cforme Jan 16, 2012 5:15 am

Bonus redeemable miles? That's pretty likely, if selectively, on flights with low advanced bookings, IMHO. Bonus MQM to a big fraction of the new cities from LGA? I doubt it.

Winkdaddy Jan 16, 2012 6:03 am

I have been waitings YEARS for that triple MQM promo for LGA-ATL, but it never ever happens :p

Sez_Who Jan 16, 2012 6:50 am

Yes, very naive strategy. IIRC, DL did have a 3X promo back in 2010 promoting their shuttle service running between LGA-ORD-BOS-DCA. Wouldn't expect anything like this only for LGA but there may be some type of targeted promo. Who knows, maybe you will get lucky. ;)

hazelrah Jan 16, 2012 6:53 am

Why give bonus MQM when you have a 50% market share?

Dieuwer Jan 16, 2012 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Winkdaddy (Post 17822231)
I have been waitings YEARS for that triple MQM promo for LGA-ATL, but it never ever happens :p

:D

yohanson Jan 16, 2012 10:34 am

I agree with everyone else. You'll see DMQMs out of LGA at about the same time you'll see them out of DTW, MSP and ATL.

DaddyRabbit Jan 16, 2012 10:48 am

No Way

This will NOT be happening.