Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SWU gone after cancellation of flight

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2012, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwoord Gold, Amex Centurion, Global Entry
SWU gone after cancellation of flight

For an upcoming flight next week I was lucky enough to use two SWU for the roundtrip AMS AUS. I had to reschedule the flight to a later date but there is no Z availability. So the Delta lady says the two SWUs are now "used" and I cannot use them anymore.

Is this normal procedure? I thought you could put the SWU back into your account if you didnt use it.

I also had to call in twice because the first time I called the lady did not cancel the tickets and they were still showing in my account.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 1:31 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
If you are talking of a PU503, then no. Read the T&C.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwoord Gold, Amex Centurion, Global Entry
Thanks - that's really too bad. So I guess as a frequent flyer, it's easier to void a SWU than to use one.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Non-refundability/non-returnability is mentioned at least three times in the T&Cs.

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_...erts/index.jsp
Old Jan 12, 2012, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL DM/Marriott Plat
I would have though so as well but if you look at the fine print:

"Certificate will be deemed fully used upon surrender and will not be honored retroactively or in connection with the exchange of any wholly or partially unused ticket."

It would seem that rescheduling your ticket falls into an "exchange", so since the cert has already been "surrendered" it would not be put back into your account.

I think this is an absolutely cr*p thing for DL to do, considering how tough SWUs are to use in the first place, and how many mile us PMs/DMs fly each year to get them. I'd say complain, but the fine print makes it kinda pointless.

Sorry you had to be the one to figure this out but it's good to keep in mind for the future...
Old Jan 12, 2012, 2:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I am confused. If you had the ticket reissued using the SWU for the initially scheduled flight (in the past, AFAIK the rules did not consider it used until the ticket was reissued, which was why some people liked to do this on the day of travel), and then changed the date, you should still be wait listed to use the same SWU on the new flight, which your OP suggests has not happened yet. OTOH, if it cleared for your domestic connecting flight into AUS only, I suspect that this cannot be undone and the used if used on one segment rule applies. Even if the SWU has expired before you do the date change, the SWU should follow to the flight on the new date when your ticket is changed and reissued.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 3:43 pm

I think the problem is that "Z" fare was not available. I have always been able to reschedule but I will only change to a flight that has a "Z" fare available. It is pretty clear that once processed they're toast. Crappy but thems the rules, and always have been.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 5:57 am

Programs: DL - KM DM, DL 1.57 MM, UA - 1P, AA - EXP HH - Diamond, PC - Platinum, SPG - Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Bigpops
I think the problem is that "Z" fare was not available. I have always been able to reschedule but I will only change to a flight that has a "Z" fare available. It is pretty clear that once processed they're toast. Crappy but thems the rules, and always have been.
Exactly!
Old Jan 13, 2012, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Yes that is exactly correct. If there was Z open on the flight you moved to that would be the only way to re-use it. Beyond the fare restrictions this is the #2 issue with those certs. It is VERY clear though. As 3Cforme point out, it is all over the T's + C's.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 6:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When I look at the material in small font at the bottom of the OP, I suspect that this could be the problem. When the OP changed dates, the phone agent started over with a completely new ticket rather than reissuing the existing ticket. If the first ticket had been changed to the new dates, the SWUs would have followed it and been attached to the new ticket number. However, if the agent did the transaction by totally writing a completely new ticket, and apparently not even canceling and refunding the first ticket in this case, the SWUs indeed cannot be used for the new ticket. I have done ticket changes and reissues without losing SWUs.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 6:59 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Found out about it too recently.

SWU can't be returned into your account once redeemed.

However, they are correct in saying that if Z availability does come up you should be upgraded as you are on the wait list.

It may benefit you to see if you can fly a little earlier / later and see if there is any Z available.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
SWU once burned is gone. Only if DL cancels or does schedule change could you talk your way into another UG, otherwise it's used and gone.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Not necessarily... if you get a really good agent they can contact a supervisor somewhere and have the SWU reinstated.

You should be able to be put on the waitlist and get the Z upgrade if availability comes up or if you clear at the gate waitlist.

I've changed intl flights where I had already cleared to Z and the SWU showed as closed and was put on the Z waitlist for the new flight and it ended up clearing. Its really up to getting a good knowledgeable agent who reissues the ticket properly. Note that this is easier to do if you've already started the itinerary, since then it won't force a full cancel/reissue but a change and reissue based on historical data.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.