Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Takeaways in 2011

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2011, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Delta Takeaways in 2011

In addition to the new 72 hour rule, I'd thought I'd start a thread with other changes to the SkyMiles program -- mostly done in the middle of a program year.

All of these have (or will) effect me directly:
  • Restrictions on use of SWU to upgrade on AF (PV to Affaires)
  • Loss of 70lb bagage limit on International flights
  • The new imfamous 72 hour rule for award tickets

There probably are others that didn't effect me directly, so they passed right over my head. Can't think of any positive changes off the top of my head, probably were some minor things...
Old Aug 13, 2011, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
I just read a few threads mentioning some huge downgrades on the Gold Delta Skymiles Amex card. Apparently there will no longer be miles boost and pay with miles option starting next January.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Change to award charts, specifically increase in 50-150% in redemption levels for intra-Asia mileage change.

Loss of Asia based members GM and above having SC access.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
In addition to the new 72 hour rule, I'd thought I'd start a thread with other changes to the SkyMiles program -- mostly done in the middle of a program year.

All of these have (or will) effect me directly:
  • Restrictions on use of SWU to upgrade on AF (PV to Affaires)
  • Loss of 70lb bagage limit on International flights
  • The new imfamous 72 hour rule for award tickets

There probably are others that didn't effect me directly, so they passed right over my head. Can't think of any positive changes off the top of my head, probably were some minor things...
The main positive was that Delta finally published a comprehensive award mileage redemption chart. Actaully, this is not really a "perk" as its something that should be standard and should have been available years ago...so I guess it was more of a "fix"
Old Aug 13, 2011, 6:25 pm

Programs: DL PM
No expiration date for SkyMiles.
Rollover of unused MQMs

DTW_Newbie
Old Aug 13, 2011, 6:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: DM
Complimentary upgrades on Award tickets.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
Added Economy Comfort with free and discounted rates for Elites

I think they completed the removal of F seats in the A319s. Added F seats in 767, MD-88, and some 752s

Last edited by turkeyRIOO; Aug 13, 2011 at 7:00 pm Reason: additional info
Old Aug 13, 2011, 7:02 pm

Very few awards at the lowest mileage level.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 7:58 pm

Programs: DL DM
Can't think of any positive changes off the top of my head, probably were some minor things...
Really? You couldn’t think of any positive changes?

I’d call the items in this thread about evenly divided right now between pluses and minuses, though YMMV.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 8:14 pm

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
golds get elite plus... a positive for some!
Old Aug 13, 2011, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Gold Delta Am Ex card holders being allowed to board in zone 2. Definite downgrade for FO's. In cases where you have a lazy GA or a flight that is severly delayed and the FA is trying to save boarding time by boarding zones 1 and 2 together, a downgradge for ALL elites.

A positive for international travel is EC seats for free
Old Aug 13, 2011, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I haven't flow a flight with EC yet, so that slipped my mind. It's not a SkyMiles thing but the free/discount price to elites is, so I guess that counts.

Being nit picky, upgrades on awards was last year (and since we had had those on NW it was more a "giveback" to many rather than something new).

Non expiration of SkyMiles was a good, new thing but I doubt it applies to very many elites.

Rollover MQMs isn't new and I think you'd get a split vote as to whether it is a positive or negative.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Non expiration of SkyMiles was a good, new thing but I doubt it applies to very many elites.
I don't see how it could apply to any elites. In order to have even FO status you need to have 25K MQMs. Even if it was through am ex spending it would mean miles posted to your account that year. Only way I could see it possible to be an elite with no miles posting would be if it was a PM or DM who had at least 25K miles rollover to make them elite for another year and they had no flight activity at all.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 11:00 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Quietly (w/o any announcement or even confirming it) removed PU464s (that was actually last year), for many elites THE main reason for flying DL.
Did so right after an e-mail sent to all explicitly saying that no program features are removed; so while one head was saying this (i.e. clearly and blatantly, knowingly lying), another one was busy taking away the PU464s.
(It had been already downgraded in 2009, then had went from 6 PU464s per year as it had been before to just 4. Then in 2010 it quietly went to 0.)
Old Aug 13, 2011, 11:09 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
What is the PU464?

OP is discussing 2011 changes, so rollover does not apply. AF PV to J: While the removal of A fare eligibility is indeed a negative, I think we need to acknowledge the AF upgrade options are still better than the M+ upgrades on DL metal days.

The removal of MilesBoost for the DL Amex Gold makes the card totally worthless to me (was already NEARLY totally worthless). I will definitely not renew.

Had no idea the 70 pound baggage allowance on international flights was reduced. Was it reduced to 50, and is this across all medallion levels? Assume those traveling in BE still have the 70 allowance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.