FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   New Priority Boarding for AMEX Card Holders (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1243362-new-priority-boarding-amex-card-holders.html)

javabytes Aug 2, 2011 8:45 am

Originally Posted by avidflyer (Post 16843345)
It is worse than that. Imagine you are a FO who busts his/her butt every week on 500 mile short hops and you do NOT get access to the priority Security lane but the Gold AMEX guy/gal does. This is wrong on several levels for the loyal DL customer but clearly right financially for DL. AMEX is for all intents and purposes the parent company of DAL.

It sounds like this is for priority boarding only, not priority security. Priority security remains a Reserve card benefit.

nytraveller53 Aug 2, 2011 8:45 am

Originally Posted by HongKonger (Post 16843496)
The computers recognize it already. If you log into DL.dumb it recognizes that you're a DL AMEX cardmember. Isn't it also on BPs somewhere?

It's never been on my BP, but when I check in at the kiosk, it lets me check a bag for free automatically.

HongKonger Aug 2, 2011 8:46 am

Originally Posted by wsw523 (Post 16843372)
Don't you guys believe that 90% of these cards are held by DL Medallion Elites already? Your average Joe schmoe would be better off getting an AMEX MR card that be used on multiple programs rather than being limited to DL. The interest in these is another way to earn additional MQM to help reach the next tier.

I was thinking the same. I don't think this will make a huge difference.

Anyway, it's only Zone 2. GM and higher get Zone 1 so they're not hopping ahead of you, they're only hopping in with the FOs.

It is not exactly news that DL doesn't care about FOs.

javabytes Aug 2, 2011 8:48 am

Originally Posted by HongKonger (Post 16843496)
The computers recognize it already. If you log into DL.dumb it recognizes that you're a DL AMEX cardmember. Isn't it also on BPs somewhere?

No, it's not on BPs. At least, not on my last BP which was 3 days ago. Presumably the intent is to put it there, though...

mtkeller Aug 2, 2011 8:51 am

Originally Posted by javabytes (Post 16843540)
No, it's not on BPs. At least, not on my last BP which was 3 days ago. Presumably the intent is to put it there, though...

I would guess it will just be Zone 2, and it won't have an elite status showing, so it'll be pretty clear the person's in Zone 2 because of AmEx.

I can't wait to hear the GAs start making their sales pitches for the AmEx when they're trying to board a full flight.

Xeno Aug 2, 2011 9:00 am

Originally Posted by avidflyer (Post 16843136)
So the boarding process that is already a zoo will be further "enhanced" by people who now KNOW they are privileged and will be sure to push their way past all the Paid FC and DM/PM members in line saying "I am a AMEX holder...step aside" and demanding their AMEX given benefits.

My reaction as well since I mostly fly on those $3-4K BE (M/SWU) tickets. (I have DL and Corp AMEX Pl cards.)

tadair Aug 2, 2011 9:05 am

Originally Posted by DL-Don (Post 16843439)
Yes, but you have to help clean out the seat back pockets before everyone else boards. Enjoy the dirty diapers and snotty tissues.

Those are generally still there when I board anyways these days, so that works for me as I can just act like I'm cleaning the plane.

javabytes Aug 2, 2011 9:23 am

Originally Posted by mtkeller (Post 16843566)
I would guess it will just be Zone 2, and it won't have an elite status showing, so it'll be pretty clear the person's in Zone 2 because of AmEx.

I can't wait to hear the GAs start making their sales pitches for the AmEx when they're trying to board a full flight.

That's true, I guess it wouldn't really need to be marked other than Zone 2. Which is good... because after PLATINUM/ELITEPLUS/SKY CLUB there isn't too much room left for additional DYKWIA designations on my BP. :D

pokeable Aug 2, 2011 9:25 am

Gold Amex: $95

Flights this year for similar standing in DL's eyes:
DCA-LAX: $600
DCA-MIA: $200
DCA-PHX: $400
DCA-MUC: $1000
DCA-LAX: $600

:rolleyes:

NYCTaximan Aug 2, 2011 9:31 am

Originally Posted by avidflyer (Post 16843345)
It is worse than that. Imagine you are a FO who busts his/her butt every week on 500 mile short hops and you do NOT get access to the priority Security lane but the Gold AMEX guy/gal does. This is wrong on several levels for the loyal DL customer but clearly right financially for DL. AMEX is for all intents and purposes the parent company of DAL.

^

Delta should at least make adjustments to allow FOs to board before AMEX ppl.

dl767captain Aug 2, 2011 9:32 am

This is just a slap in the face for silvers. Yes I know I'm a little bit selfish as tis will be a great benefit to many DL fliers who aren't medallion. But the way DL tries to get everyone on board to apply for the card it will be insane, my last flight they spent 20 minutes over the PA talking about the benefits of the card.

So now anyone with a Plat/Gold AMEX gets to board with me!? Why? Why not just have them board in zone 3 instead? Why not allow silver to board in zone 1? It's bad enough only being silver where you're still kind of treated like dirt, 25,000 miles is still a lot to fly with one airline, sure we're the smallest loyalty group but we're still loyal.

The other annoying fact is the Delta reserve card does in fact get sky priority lanes, I had the card for almost a year and every time I tried to use it I would just get a blank stare from the Gate Agent telling me I needed to wait for my zone and now apparently it's supposed to have always been a benefit?

Good job Delta for stepping on the little guys who are some of your biggest fans. I might as well find the cheapest flight and just leave DL alone :(

SJC ORD LDR Aug 2, 2011 9:33 am

Originally Posted by NYCTaximan (Post 16843877)
^

Delta should at least make adjustments to allow FOs to board before AMEX ppl.

^^^

At least UA/CO is boarding their card holders after the elites, not with them.

DLATL777 Aug 2, 2011 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson (Post 16843220)
So, for $150 per year to AMEX, you get almost the same privs as a Silver.

They should go ahead and let them in the crown room and get upgrades too...

With the payment plans and day pass offers; they pretty much already do.

Thanks Delta, you sure do know how to make your customers feel special....:td:

jamesteroh Aug 2, 2011 9:39 am

Originally Posted by dl767captain (Post 16843883)
This is just a slap in the face for silvers. Yes I know I'm a little bit selfish as tis will be a great benefit to many DL fliers who aren't medallion. But the way DL tries to get everyone on board to apply for the card it will be insane, my last flight they spent 20 minutes over the PA talking about the benefits of the card.

So now anyone with a Plat/Gold AMEX gets to board with me!? Why? Why not just have them board in zone 3 instead? Why not allow silver to board in zone 1? It's bad enough only being silver where you're still kind of treated like dirt, 25,000 miles is still a lot to fly with one airline, sure we're the smallest loyalty group but we're still loyal.

The other annoying fact is the Delta reserve card does in fact get sky priority lanes, I had the card for almost a year and every time I tried to use it I would just get a blank stare from the Gate Agent telling me I needed to wait for my zone and now apparently it's supposed to have always been a benefit?

Good job Delta for stepping on the little guys who are some of your biggest fans. I might as well find the cheapest flight and just leave DL alone :(

I agree they should make Am Ex card holders board in Zone 3. That is still a big advantage for bin space. Silvers should be allowed to board before Am Ex card holders and no you are not being selfish in your thinking. You have to fly at least 30 segments or 25K miles a year with Delta for that status and you should get to baord first.

I think this is a slap in the face to Silver members. With NW they used to be able to SDC as FO for free and IIRC had access to the priority security lane and boarded in the same zone as other elites.

If DL is going to give this benefit to Am Ex members, then they should start allowing FO's to use the SP security lane.

mlad1101 Aug 2, 2011 9:43 am

I guess this explains the "expedite" on Reserve holders(without status or FO) BP's that no one could figure out. I don't recall this being an advertised feature and it seemed that DL employee's didn't even know what it meant. So then, "expedite" does indeed get SP access, wonder if bag tags too?

On a side note I have a feeling they are going to have to move FO to Zone 1 in response.