Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suing Delta

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2011, 11:55 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter
And we wonder why our justice system is overloaded?

I hope the case is better presented then the email, but I am not sure you have a "$" claim. I am not sure the courts recognize the value of "awards" that you didn't actually pay cash for!

+. I love America!

I also agree that it seems to be more of an issue with the awards company. I think DL is less the issue here.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 12:21 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by Vuelos
Sucks about the ThankYou points refund you should have been more careful
My thoughts exactly. Probably purchased a C ticket before the devaluation of TYP's, then wanted to use the credit for other tickets. No wonder he doesn't want Citi to be a co-defendant, since they would blow his argument right out of the water. So now DL refunded the ticket to Citi's credit card and the huge credit is no longer available to him. I would be shocked, if this is the scenario, if he had even a small chance of winning the case.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 1:12 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by fti
My thoughts exactly. Probably purchased a C ticket before the devaluation of TYP's, then wanted to use the credit for other tickets. No wonder he doesn't want Citi to be a co-defendant, since they would blow his argument right out of the water. So now DL refunded the ticket to Citi's credit card and the huge credit is no longer available to him. I would be shocked, if this is the scenario, if he had even a small chance of winning the case.
+1. I got screwed once when they did that to a $300 ticket and vowed never again...
Old Jun 29, 2011, 1:21 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Isn't this the same scenario?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/archive/t-1024918.html
Old Jun 29, 2011, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
There was a thread in the discount hotels thread from a man who had filed a series of successful suits in small claims court, one of them against a restaurant over a $2 cheese charge. As I recall, he was going to mop the floor with priceline and Marriott. Then he lost the case. My recollection was that he was suspended from FlyerTalk, so he probably wouldn't be of much help in this instance.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 1:30 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
That does sound similar.

If the ticket was refunded to the credit card of your loyalty program (maybe Thankyou or SPG flights or whatever), have you tried pressing your case with the loyalty program to get whatever points you spent back?
Old Jun 29, 2011, 2:01 pm

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by 53flyer
If you are filing a suit, using correct terminology would be helpful....the legal term is conditions of carriage.
If you live in the AA world. It varies.

[if you're going to give advice, learning to use Google would be helpful ]

Delta: http://www.delta.com/legal/contract_of_carriage/index.jsp

United: Contract of Carriage

Continental: http://www.continental.com/web/en-US/content/contract.aspx

American: http://www.aa.com/intl/jp/footer_en/conditionsOfCarriage.jsp

Southwest: http://www.southwest.com/assets/pdfs/corporate-commitments/contract-of-carriage.pdf
Old Jun 29, 2011, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
Wink

Originally Posted by Evan!
If you live in the AA world. It varies.

[if you're going to give advice, learning to use Google would be helpful ]

Delta: http://www.delta.com/legal/contract_of_carriage/index.jsp
Of course, on that page Delta refers to both the contract of carriage and the Conditions of Carriage, the latter being one of three components of the former.

So both 53flyer and CVG_Kid are correct; both terms can be used in this context. It's a draw.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 2:27 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
if they refunded it the way u paid why bshould u expect cash?

can u quote where they broke the contract exactly, or is this like hoping the cop doesnt show up at your traffi ticket hearing

eating lamb chops so typin with my pinky...
Old Jun 29, 2011, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
IANAL, but small claims court may not work depending on your state. If your damages exceed the limit for small claims court, you may not be able to bring suit there even if you are seeking to recover an amount under the limit.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 2:58 pm
In Memoriam

My advice is don't take any advice from here.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by javabytes
IANAL, but small claims court may not work depending on your state. If your damages exceed the limit for small claims court, you may not be able to bring suit there even if you are seeking to recover an amount under the limit.
Not true, I did that many times during my unfortunate tenure as a rental property owner. State the actual damages, then wrap it up with "all of which is reduced to $xxxx for the purpose of filing in small claims court".
Old Jun 29, 2011, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Not true, I did that many times during my unfortunate tenure as a rental property owner. State the actual damages, then wrap it up with "all of which is reduced to $xxxx for the purpose of filing in small claims court".
Again, pretty sure this depends on your state. Some allow it and some don't.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 3:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by javabytes
Again, pretty sure this depends on your state. Some allow it and some don't.
That doesn't make sense to me (as a lawyer). I don't think you are correct, but I would be very interested in any references you might have.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by MaximumSisu
My advice is don't take any advice from here.
This may be the best piece of legal advise ever offered on Flyertalk. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.