FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Pigs in the sky club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1183030-pigs-sky-club.html)

thesaints Feb 11, 2011 6:59 pm

It must be an American thing. In Europe people put on their best clothing when going to the airport (they may have no sense of style, but that's another matter) and generally act like they know they are in a public place.
Only in the US I've seen people in their pajama, oversized pillows, laying on the floor around the gate, or taking care of their most personal toilet. Of course, shoes must go off at the earliest chance.
I mean I've seen that only in the US or whenever stranded Albanian refugees are waiting for evacuation.

Sometimes I think a nation-wide good manners campaign wouldn't be out of place. then I remind myself which sort of people we sent over here from Europe and I lose hope...

avidflyer Feb 11, 2011 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by thesaints (Post 15848512)
It must be an American thing. In Europe people put on their best clothing when going to the airport (they may have no sense of style, but that's another matter) and generally act like they know they are in a public place.
Only in the US I've seen people in their pajama, oversized pillows, laying on the floor around the gate, or taking care of their most personal toilet. Of course, shoes must go off at the earliest chance.
I mean I've seen that only in the US or whenever stranded Albanian refugees are waiting for evacuation.

Sometimes I think a nation-wide good manners campaign wouldn't be out of place. then I remind myself which sort of people we sent over here from Europe and I lose hope...

I have to completely disagree with you there (the statement that Europeans dress up to fly). I lived there for several years and I can tell you the that I have seen some pretty rough looking folks on weekend flights to/from Dublin/London from AMS. I did not see the average flyer "dress up" for any flights.

ffI Feb 11, 2011 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by avidflyer (Post 15848526)
I have to completely disagree with you there (the statement that Europeans dress up to fly). I lived there for several years and I can tell you the that I have seen some pretty rough looking folks on weekend flights to/from Dublin/London from AMS. I did not see the average flyer "dress up" for any flights.

I blame the rise of the LCC in EU for that change.

carybrevard Feb 11, 2011 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 15847943)
I thought it might be a thread complaining about pork products being offered as snacks in SkyClubs.

Complaining about pork products? What a concept.

Those of us in the south know that there's nothing like pig parts, preferably smoked, to brighten ones day.

avidflyer Feb 11, 2011 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by carybrevard (Post 15848551)
Complaining about pork products? What a concept.

Those of us in the south know that there's nothing like pig parts, preferably smoked, to brighten ones day.

I am a Yank and I have a bacon air freshener in my car. I will have a large order of bacon and a side of bacon with extra bacon please.

carybrevard Feb 11, 2011 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by avidflyer (Post 15848580)
I am a Yank and I have a bacon air freshener in my car. I will have a large order of bacon and a side of bacon with extra bacon please.

Now you're talking...

stewie7669 Feb 11, 2011 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by avidflyer (Post 15848526)

Forgot to mention he was talking loudly in French

avidflyer Feb 11, 2011 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by stewie7669 (Post 15848689)
Forgot to mention he was talking loudly in French

lol

Davescj Feb 11, 2011 8:47 pm

A couple of suggestions:

1. The no cell area. (some SCs are better at enforcing it, but most will if you ask politely).

2. If you can figure out who he works for, call his boss (yes, I've done that).

3. Make a LOUD comment (so the person on the phone can hear) about his feet.

Dave

fti Feb 11, 2011 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by elitetraveler (Post 15847781)
I would have moved after about 10 minutes. He may think he is entertaining you since you continue as his audience for two hours.

Yeah, then you have to wonder who the real idiot is :D

bkmn Feb 11, 2011 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by avidflyer (Post 15848580)

You need to fly through MEM more often (to pick up some good BBQ) or visit the butcher shop in Hopkins for the most awesome applewood smoked bacon...

STBCypriot Feb 12, 2011 3:46 am

Originally Posted by thesaints (Post 15848512)

I've got to disagree with you too. I live in Europe (have lived in 4 different European countries in the past 7 years) and I have found European travelers on many of my flights to be quite rude and I would say that some have not bathed in quite a while. I have been on flights where people start climbing out of their seats and over me as soon as the plane touches down - Eastern Europeans seem particularly eager to be first off and on the plane. The concept of queuing is foreign to many, except the British who are excellent at it, and I have had to "sharpen my elbows" and learn to fill my space and stand my ground and put my usual politeness aside when traveling in some european countries.

mdaecher Feb 12, 2011 4:47 am

Don't you sometimes wonder how in the world these people keep a job? Maybe he's independently wealthy..

Sabai Feb 12, 2011 4:52 am

Originally Posted by baccarat0809 (Post 15847303)
Oink.

Look on the bright side, at least he/she is not clippig their toe-nails.

That doesn't happen until they board and can put their nasty feet up on the bulkhead.

mnredfox Feb 12, 2011 9:50 am

He isn't a real pig until you hear the following phrases being yelled into the blackberry "But I am a diamond", "Why haven't you upgraded me", and "DYKWIA" in the same sentence.