Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Ideas for The 2011 Third Annual Delta Air Lines FlyerTalk Event

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2010, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond

The second is barely over but I think by all accounts it was a resounding success.

Now, let me preface this by NOT assuming that Delta will provide logistical and financially support. But they seemed happy about it this time and invested serious bucks in this event. AND, I am not putting any pressure on the FT organizers of this event to even have to think of what, if anything they would do again.

Road Warrior I and II should continue. Can they make a III?

I think think the Gate Agent for a Day should also happen again and be expanded to (and feel free to throw your own ideas in here)
Ticket Agent for a Day
SC Agent for a Day
FA for a Day
OCC for a day (maybe specialties, I would love to be with a meteorologist for a day.)
Telephone agent (maybe even SMS (PSS)) for a day
Baggage Agent for a day

Others tours....there is still a lot to see at the Delta Campus.
Information Technology tour
Telephone center tour
New International Terminal Tour
Guts of the ATL airport tour

What do you think is good and bad about these ideas?
Old Oct 24, 2010, 8:14 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
I'd like to suggest record it or webcast it.

I'd love to do the "FA for a day" (even if I didn't get the MQMs ) Actually, what would be REALLY great would be "FA for a day" on a long-haul flight!

What is Road Warrior I and II? These sound like classes from the titles? Maybe Delta can offer them as SkyMiles awards?
Old Oct 24, 2010, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jimrpa
I'd love to do the "FA for a day" (even if I didn't get the MQMs ) Actually, what would be REALLY great would be "FA for a day" on a long-haul flight!
That might have to FA for two or three days!

Originally Posted by jimrpa
What is Road Warrior I and II? These sound like classes from the titles? Maybe Delta can offer them as SkyMiles awards?
I think that is a wonderful idea. I went to Road Warrior I and we learned about the exit doors, CPR (boring, sorry), emergency terminology, ditching (dry in my class, wet in II training), rafts, going down the slide, well, I could go on and on. We also got the insight of three FAs for an entire day.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 8:31 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by indufan
That might have to FA for two or three days!
That'd be ok, assuming I could juggle my schedule, I'd be up for it.

I think that is a wonderful idea. I went to Road Warrior I and we learned about the exit doors, CPR (boring, sorry), emergency terminology, ditching (dry in my class, wet in II training), rafts, going down the slide, well, I could go on and on. We also got the insight of three FAs for an entire day.
How did you find out about this class? How does one take it?
Old Oct 24, 2010, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
One thing that made RWT II go a lot faster than last year's RWT I was less time in the auditorium and more interaction with the instructors. Time really flew, esp. this morning.

I would hope this consideration is factored into future RWT's.

I would like to be either Delta CEO or SkyMiles Director for a day.

Last edited by MikeMpls; Oct 24, 2010 at 9:52 pm
Old Oct 24, 2010, 10:57 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
:-:Elect MikeMpls for SkyMiles Director:-:! A SWU for every fare and an upgrade for every elite!
Old Oct 24, 2010, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
1. Wait at least 18 months till the next one (24 months is better). It is a huge burden on the organizers and on DL, (although DL won't ever admit that).

2. The meals were wonderful, but they weren't the reason we went, and they drained time and energy. Keep it simple- sandwiches, salads, etc. catered either at the hotel or at the venues. (the meal at the RWT Sunday was perfect).

The Prime has fantastic food, but the commute there ate valuable time, and the acoustics were horrid- I couldn't carry on decent conversations with anyone sitting more than one or two people away from me. I went for the people, not for the food.

3. Walk a mile needs to be for a full shift, 4 hours isn't enough to really get rolling in the role.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
1. Wait at least 18 months till the next one (24 months is better). It is a huge burden on the organizers and on DL, (although DL won't ever admit that).
Yeah, but I want to go back next week. You point is well taken, though.
2. The meals were wonderful, but they weren't the reason we went, and they drained time and energy. Keep it simple- sandwiches, salads, etc. catered either at the hotel or at the venues. (the meal at the RWT Sunday was perfect).
I agree. I was wiped when I got back at 4:15 PM on Saturday and had to be at the bus at 4:30.

The Prime has fantastic food, but the commute there ate valuable time, and the acoustics were horrid- I couldn't carry on decent conversations with anyone sitting more than one or two people away from me. I went for the people, not for the food.
I agree again. I loved the food but it was noisy and a long way away in terrible ATL traffic and the traffic part could have been worse.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:07 am

I think think the Gate Agent for a Day should also happen again and be expanded to (and feel free to throw your own ideas in here)
How about "Pilot for a day"?
Old Oct 25, 2010, 2:54 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
1. Wait at least 18 months till the next one (24 months is better).
I agree that doing it in a year might be a bit too quick for the organizers (who did an exceptional job), unless a different group of ATL-based organizers want to take the wheel for the next one.

I would suggest, however, that whenever it happens, keep it out of the summer months. The weather for this one was simply superb, so I think October or April might be the sweet spot.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 6:46 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
The weather for this one was simply superb, so I think October or April might be the sweet spot.
I'm ready to do it again tomorrow, but I agree we should probably wait longer than 12 months....April 2012 sounds great to me.

It will be hard to top this year's event.....
Old Oct 25, 2010, 7:21 am

Programs: Prefer to stay where the herded cats are staying, IHG , Hyatt gold, bottom fish in other chains
The second is barely over but I think by all accounts it was a resounding success.

Now, let me preface this by NOT assuming that Delta will provide logistical and financially support. But they seemed happy about it this time and invested serious bucks in this event. AND, I am not putting any pressure on the FT organizers of this event to even have to think of what, if anything they would do again.

Road Warrior I and II should continue. Can they make a III?

Ticket Agent for a Day
SC Agent for a Day
FA for a Day
OCC for a day (maybe specialties, I would love to be with a meteorologist for a day.)
Telephone agent (maybe even SMS (PSS)) for a day
Baggage Agent for a day

Others tours....there is still a lot to see at the Delta Campus.
Information Technology tour
Telephone center tour
New International Terminal Tour
Guts of the ATL airport tour

What do you think is good and bad about these ideas?
I too would go back tomorrow and do it all again but think Spring or fall of 2012 probably a better idea.

I like all your ideas, Indufan but think FA in flight might be a bit of a liability for DL...plus having to deadhead us back to ATL..

I would also like to use the orange sticks to direct the tow truck on plane pushback..

8 hour day being a GA might be too much and we become more of a hindrance than a help to the real GAs due to getting tired and more likely to make mistakes.....

I agree the dining venue should be simpler and perhaps be done at airport, airport hotels.....the ride into the city was waaay too long.

Just my 2cents. Wonder what Delta's thoughts are.....

Last edited by dedehans; Oct 25, 2010 at 7:27 am Reason: extra thought
Old Oct 25, 2010, 7:46 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
I would like to have an opportunity to join in on a barbecue with the rampers....seems like that would be doable, and a lot of fun as well. Grilled chicken, with the smell of burning jet fuel in the air, then work off all that food by loading/sorting bags all afternoon.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 7:48 am

Programs: Delta DM!
Originally Posted by DLdweeb
I would like to have an opportunity to join in on a barbecue with the rampers....seems like that would be doable, and a lot of fun as well. Grilled chicken, with the smell of burning jet fuel in the air, then work off all that food by loading/sorting bags all afternoon.
Post of the day, at 8:56 a.m.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 8:59 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
3. Walk a mile needs to be for a full shift, 4 hours isn't enough to really get rolling in the role.
One thing I learned from this weekend, is that I am incredibly out of shape, much worse than I thought I was (and I knew I was pretty bad to begin with). Four hours on the flightline was enough for me. I came away with a whole new level of respect for the Delta people who take care of us. I put in 10-12 hour days at what I do, but I feel certain that, without losing 50-60 pounds and improving my oxygen intake, I could not do 8 hours a day, 5 days a week at a real job, standing on my feet all day, caring for 1000+ people every shift.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.