Wiki Posts
Search

Transferring in MCO

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2012, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, AA PLT.
Transferring in MCO

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

I am planning on travelling on VS MAN-MCO, then onwards to CRW on DL via ATL. The VS flight lands at 3.20pm, the MCO-ATL on DL at 4.30pm. If I miss the 4.30pm, I won't make the last ATL-CRW of the night.

It's been a while since I did the route, but I remember that transferring was easy because VS and DL operate out of the same terminal.

Is 70 minutes cutting it too fine? I won't have checked bags.

Thanks
Old Mar 17, 2012, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
MCO's standard MCT for international to domestic is 90 minutes. ExpertFlyer shows VS-DL specifically at 3:30. Do you have separate tickets?
Old Mar 17, 2012, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Haven't booked it yet, but it will be seperate tickets. I remember being able to transfer pretty quickly, but equally don't want to end up stranded.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 7:48 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
You also have to remember that AM/VX/BA and Copa all arrive into those gates. I am unsure of their times, but just be very careful when cutting your time short.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Also now, I believe that all international arrivals at Airside 4 get funneled directly to outside of security, rather than reclearing on the airside and then hopping back on the train. This means you'd have to deal with the normal checkpoint in the terminal building, which can be rather long at times - I'd avoid this layover.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 8:45 am

Programs: DL DM
Not recommended. Immigration itself can take that long depending on how many international flights(AF,LH,BA, other VX) have arrived around the same time as well.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I haven't ever had to get on the train going international to domestic when travelling from VS - DL. It's been a while, but I remember coming out of customs and peeling off to the left (everybody else went to the right) and being the only person to go through a TSA search area that led back into the main airside part near the DL SC. The airport staff always seemed a bit resistant to me going that way, but were fine once they saw a DL BP. Has that little short cut gone?
Old Mar 17, 2012, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by rpjepson
. The airport staff always seemed a bit resistant to me going that way, but were fine once they saw a DL BP. Has that little short cut gone?
That's not going to happen anymore. Due to TSA regulations, you MUST head back to the main terminal, go through security, then go back. 5 years ago, that wasn't the case (I believe), but now they are extremely strict about it, and have "guards" on each sides of the monorail ensuring that nobody gets through.

Honestly - I WOULDNT book the flight you're about to do. You're going to get stuck in Orlando and have to buy a close to full fare last minute ticket, since Delta won't waive it due to flying VS.

Save yourself the hassle and just fly Delta/AirFrance/KLM out of MAN to get to Atlanta, or spend the night in Orlando if you are deadset on flying VS. You're one hour will not be sufficient enough to get through customs, wait for the monorail, head over to security, take the monorail over again, and get to the gate prior to 15 minute to the flight.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 5:28 pm

Programs: Waffle House DM
Has that little short cut gone?
Yes, changed a while back. All international pax now come out of a new escalator from the customs hall directly to the train platform. During international arrivals the trains are corraled and controlled by TSA/Security, so you can only get on the train and leave the East Airside area to the central terminal area. Then you have to turn around, do security again and get back on the train to get back to the DL Airside.

My understanding is this stems from the TSA requirement that all arriving International pax on subsequent US domestic flights must be screened by the TSA first (can't trust those foreigners).

If you are a US Citizen or Green Card holder with cabin bags only, you might just scrape through if there are no delays and you have a Clear Pass to get back through security. But remember that those 2 or 3 Virgin planes of people arriving in the US are matched in security by the same number of people trying to leave the US at that time. In my 2 dozen or so transits through MCO customs there have never been "no delays", and as a gambler, I wouldn't even try it.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 7:05 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Slow learner
Yes, changed a while back. All international pax now come out of a new escalator from the customs hall directly to the train platform. During international arrivals the trains are corraled and controlled by TSA/Security, so you can only get on the train and leave the East Airside area to the central terminal area. Then you have to turn around, do security again and get back on the train to get back to the DL Airside.

My understanding is this stems from the TSA requirement that all arriving International pax on subsequent US domestic flights must be screened by the TSA first (can't trust those foreigners).

If you are a US Citizen or Green Card holder with cabin bags only, you might just scrape through if there are no delays and you have a Clear Pass to get back through security. But remember that those 2 or 3 Virgin planes of people arriving in the US are matched in security by the same number of people trying to leave the US at that time. In my 2 dozen or so transits through MCO customs there have never been "no delays", and as a gambler, I wouldn't even try it.
It has nothing to do with not trusting foreigners. People have access to checked bags when clearing US Customs. There is plenty of stuff that is allowed in checked bags but not in carry on luggage. Since people have access to it, they need to be rescreened by TSA before being allowed airside. After all, we can't have people grabbing a knife or (God forbid!) a large bottle of shampoo and taking it on a plane, can we?
Old Mar 18, 2012, 6:03 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Way too close. I would seek a different routing.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:46 am
Original Poster

I think I'm stuck with it, as that particular date (on which I have to fly) other airlines are either sold out utterly, or want ridiculous amounts for Y tickets.

The short-cut certainly existed about 18 months ago, when last I flew that route. It was great, as coming out of customs you basically did a U-turn, and came out opposite Outback. There was a single X-ray machine, and I remember the TSA staff there always seemed surprised someone was actually going through their little outpost I'm surprised it has gone, as last time I went through they had installed one of those full-body scanners.

I will let you know if it truly has gone, and if so whether I make my connection.

Thanks again for all the replies.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 3:04 pm

I think I'm stuck with it, as that particular date (on which I have to fly) other airlines are either sold out utterly, or want ridiculous amounts for Y tickets.
Everybody's definition of ridiculous amount for tickets is different, however I would check to see what a last minute Y fare ticket to CRW out of MCO will cost you. My bet is that it will be quite a bit assuming thats it's not a mainline flight (which I'm unsure of). Take whatever that last minute fare is, add $150 for the change fee, and that will be the additional money that you most likely will end up forking over to attempt this routing. If that amount is still less than the other routings that will guarantee you're arrival in CRW at the time you want, then it maybe worth the gamble. Looking at delta.com, it appears a last minute ticket to CRW for tomorrow is running anywhere for $600-$1000 to get there prior to 2pm. If you dont mind waiting for arrival until 3pm, it looks like those flights are running around $350. Delta could show some mercy and only charge you the fare difference and wave the change fee (which they've done for me before in random situations out of my control) - but even then, you'll be out quite a bit for those flights.

Best of luck on whatever you choose, though.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 5:05 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver

The short-cut certainly existed about 18 months ago, when last I flew that route. It was great, as coming out of customs you basically did a U-turn, and came out opposite Outback. There was a single X-ray machine, and I remember the TSA staff there always seemed surprised someone was actually going through their little outpost I'm surprised it has gone, as last time I went through they had installed one of those full-body scanners.

I will let you know if it truly has gone, and if so whether I make my connection.

Thanks again for all the replies.
The new immigration setup has been there for three or four years at MCO. If the customs shortcut was there 18 months ago, it's probably still there. Since MCO is mostly O/D traffic, other FTers may not know it exists. I'm assuming it is where the old TSA checkpoint was that dumps you right into the terminal without getting into the train, right?
Old Mar 18, 2012, 5:26 pm

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
I returned on an international flight into MCO on Copa in November of 2010. The exit from CBP sent me up an escalator, and through a small TSA checkpoint with an x-ray machine and WTMD. I distinctly recall it placing me into the airside lobby, sort of across from where the train is, and not next to where the train to go back landside is located.

I know I was using Global Entry and had no checked bags, but I don't recall doing anything special. I don't recall the gate number or which airside terminal I came into.

I've seen passengers coming up right at the trains, and I know that I didn't do that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.