Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Got any stories about pax outrage over DL's inaccurate A330 seatmap?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2010, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, A3 Gold, AA EXP, AB Gold, AmEx Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz Cinco Estrella

Has anyone ever reserved seat 11C or 11G on a long A330 Delta flight and sat next to some infuriated passenger in 11D or 11F who thought they'd be getting the choice seat due to Delta's misleading OLCI seat map?

Although Delta's plane reference pages and SeatGuru's maps for the A330 are correct, Delta's seat selector for reservation edits and OLCI keeps placing 10C and 10G directly in front of 11C and 11G, thereby making seats 11D and 11F look much more attractive than they actually are. The large IFE boxes underneath seats 10C and 10G only exacerbate the problem for 11D and 11F, misrepresenting those seats as having the most legroom when they actually have the least.

Last week I took an A330 to and from AMS and sat in 11C because I grabbed it months ago when I first booked the reservation. On both A330 flights, my seatmate in 11D was furious to learn that the empty space was in front of me, not him/her. The outbound flight had an empty seat available elsewhere, which the passenger negotiated for and won before the plane pushed back. The return leg was completely full, and the pax in 11D was literally sobbing as she tried to persuade the FAs to relocate her, claiming that multiple reps and GAs assured her that the empty space was in front of 11D. She was stuck in 11D, and tried her best not to be angry at me for occupying the choice seat she thought she would be getting.

Is this sort of drama a common occurrence on Delta's longer A330 flights? I also had some doubt when I saw the A330 discrepancy between Delta's reservation site and SeatGuru, but I ended up guessing correctly when I chose to believe SeatGuru.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 2:49 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by datapants
...and the pax in 11D was literally sobbing as she tried to persuade the FAs to relocate her, claiming that multiple reps and GAs assured her that the empty space was in front of 11D. She was stuck in 11D, and tried her best not to be angry at me for occupying the choice seat she thought she would be getting.

Is this sort of drama a common occurrence on Delta's longer A330 flights?
I would have literally laughed. That is ridiculous; 11D should grow up or get off the plane. This sort of childish BS entitled behavior makes my day with a good chuckle.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL
Has anyone ever reserved seat 11C or 11G on a long A330 Delta flight and sat next to some infuriated passenger in 11D or 11F who thought they'd be getting the choice seat due to Delta's misleading OLCI seat map?

Although Delta's plane reference pages and SeatGuru's maps for the A330 are correct, Delta's seat selector for reservation edits and OLCI keeps placing 10C and 10G directly in front of 11C and 11G, thereby making seats 11D and 11F look much more attractive than they actually are. The large IFE boxes underneath seats 10C and 10G only exacerbate the problem for 11D and 11F, misrepresenting those seats as having the most legroom when they actually have the least.

Last week I took an A330 to and from AMS and sat in 11C because I grabbed it months ago when I first booked the reservation. On both A330 flights, my seatmate in 11D was furious to learn that the empty space was in front of me, not him/her. The outbound flight had an empty seat available elsewhere, which the passenger negotiated for and won before the plane pushed back. The return leg was completely full, and the pax in 11D was literally sobbing as she tried to persuade the FAs to relocate her, claiming that multiple reps and GAs assured her that the empty space was in front of 11D. She was stuck in 11D, and tried her best not to be angry at me for occupying the choice seat she thought she would be getting.

Is this sort of drama a common occurrence on Delta's longer A330 flights? I also had some doubt when I saw the A330 discrepancy between Delta's reservation site and SeatGuru, but I ended up guessing correctly when I chose to believe SeatGuru.
Sobbing over extra space? Was this lady 10 or something? That's hilarious!
Old Nov 14, 2010, 3:07 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.

Just for fun I looked up a sample flight on an A332 and viewing the seat map 11 C& G show up as a 'Preferred' seats which means open for medallion or high fare class selection, correct? 11 D & F show up as simply 'Available.' In any case, a savvy traveler might look further into the situation (i.e. SeatGuru) to see why the aisles are preferred seats vs the middle seats. Someone sobbing over having a bad seat, however, is not likely a savvy traveler (bless her heart).

On my sample flight, 11D is occupied & C is open, and it's not all that full yet. Seems your premise is correct, folks may be confused by the layout.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by DLATL777
I would have literally laughed. That is ridiculous; 11D should grow up or get off the plane. This sort of childish BS entitled behavior makes my day with a good chuckle.
Indeed. "Outraged", "Infuriated"? It's just a seat. Sure, if this is a bug it needs fixed, but lighten up.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA, ANA, JAL, NW/DL, Marriott Silver, Avis First
Since the exit rows at 10 were taken, I chose to take the other exit seats by door 3. Surprise! It wasn't the exit row; it was the seat behind the exit seat. The seat map on delta.com IS wrong. The NW seat map was correct. I brought it Delta's attention, but I guess they haven't corrected it. It has been over a year now. And it still hasn't been fixed?
Old Nov 14, 2010, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by OhSoBlessed
Since the exit rows at 10 were taken, I chose to take the other exit seats by door 3. Surprise! It wasn't the exit row; it was the seat behind the exit seat. The seat map on delta.com IS wrong. The NW seat map was correct. I brought it Delta's attention, but I guess they haven't corrected it. It has been over a year now. And it still hasn't been fixed?
There are 2 versions of the 330: the -200 and the -300 and they are different. Is it possible an equipment change was made?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.